PDA

View Full Version : One Feature from Rowan's BoB that I would like to see copied in the IL-2 Series

MoritzJGOne
11-12-2004, 10:11 AM
In Rowan's BoB, when a British player (or more procisely, a player flying for the RAF) had his canopy opened, by hitting 'q' or 'w' his view leaned out the window Left or right 45 degrees. I assume that the forward camera tilted with the key stroke. (You also had to recenter the pilot prior to closing the lid.)

This feature would be welcomed in IL-2. (It would really work well in a WWI game too!)

Did the opening canopy feature from PF work on the sliding canopies from the FB and AEP? Can these be retrofitted, especially with the lean out camera position!

Nige_Reconman
11-12-2004, 10:18 AM
Love the lean in Rowans bob - **** i love that sim. Hurtling your hurrican through 160 bombers and 80 - 109's is an awesome experience.

Mulleteer
11-12-2004, 11:28 AM
Though leaning is as such trivial to implement in 3d model, I think the problem are the cockpit models. Currently they are made to save every polygon triangle possible, leaning (i.e. changing the viewpoint) would require overhauling the cockpits.

Sturmvogel66
11-12-2004, 12:04 PM
What would be even better would be that if you opened the canopy, your pilot would not automatically lean, but when you hit your hat switch to either front left or front right you would lean towards that direction out of the plane. I never played Rowans BoB, but the idea of flying through 160 bombers sounds intriguing. I doubt it is still on sale anywhere though.

gwanna
11-12-2004, 02:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mulleteer:
Though leaning is as such trivial to implement in 3d model, I think the problem are the cockpit models. Currently they are made to save every polygon triangle possible, leaning (i.e. changing the viewpoint) would require overhauling the cockpits. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I noticed something last night while on my way to Pearl Harbour in my new jap dive bomber.
Buggering around as you do on some of these long flights, I messed around for a while as the rear gunner and noticed how he actually moves around in his seat position (the view is not the old head on a fixed stick).
Whith my TrackIR3 on and aiming the rear gun upward, I noticed my head came below the canopy line and i could see all the stuff under near my feet. Then for example, if i swung the MG to my far left and looked over my left shoulder, I could look over the side of the AC and effectively had the view you were asking for. The only prob at this point was that I was in the rear, so I didn't have control of the AC. It is still worth experiencing though as they have done a really great job of this.

Surely from this, Oleg and his boys could modify the pilot views to suit somehow.Then tat would be a great step foward on this sim. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

LEXX_Luthor
11-12-2004, 05:47 PM
gwanna you are correct. This is old Feature I first noticed from gunner position on Bf~110G in FB/AEP early this year. FB can do 3D head movement, but we prorbably won't see it fully made for pilot position until BoB and Beyond. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Pilot Lean Interview with I~16/Hurricane/P~40/P~39/Yak pilot...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>A.S. How was your visibility to the rear in the I-16? For example, was the tail or the area behind it visible, did you simply have to look back, or did you have to crane your neck?

N.G. We stuck our heads out far enough to see the tail wheel. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif If you could see that, it meant that you could observe the rear hemisphere normallyāā‚¬"¯you could see behind you.

~ http://airforce.users.ru/lend-lease/english/articles/golodnikov/part1.htm

...lifted from Part 4 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Athosd
11-12-2004, 06:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sturmvogel66:
What would be even better would be that if you opened the canopy, your pilot would not automatically lean, but when you hit your hat switch to either front left or front right you would lean towards that direction out of the plane. I never played Rowans BoB, but the idea of flying through 160 bombers sounds intriguing. I doubt it is still on sale anywhere though. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rowan's BoB is still around - I've seen it in the budget range here in Australia for ~10 bucks (~7 USD).
It still has a dedicated following with many community made mods.

killer2359
11-12-2004, 09:08 PM
European Air War also can give huge bomber formations if you patch it and edit the config as instructed in the Readme - it doesn't have any open canopy/leaning features tho.