PDA

View Full Version : Hey Bearcat - can you help me set up my X-45?

sledgehammer2
01-08-2005, 11:21 PM
I have seen that you are a user of the X-45 and I got one for Christmas. I also got a TrackIR 3 Pro. I posted earlier trying to get a good profile for my -45 since most of the profiles I have seen others post in the past have many of the switches mapped to views. No-one answered my post on this subject so I thought I would put the question to you.

Since I have Track IR 3 Pro, what would you recommend I use the hat switches for? What do you use the pinkie switch for? I plan on using the X-45 stick as my primary stick since my old MS Sidewinder is pretty war weary now. Anyway, if you can help me get this thing set up I would really appreciate it. I haven't wanted to deal with this until I got used to the TrackIR, but I think I am ready now. Thanks.

Regards,
sledgehammer2

sledgehammer2
01-08-2005, 11:21 PM
I have seen that you are a user of the X-45 and I got one for Christmas. I also got a TrackIR 3 Pro. I posted earlier trying to get a good profile for my -45 since most of the profiles I have seen others post in the past have many of the switches mapped to views. No-one answered my post on this subject so I thought I would put the question to you.

Since I have Track IR 3 Pro, what would you recommend I use the hat switches for? What do you use the pinkie switch for? I plan on using the X-45 stick as my primary stick since my old MS Sidewinder is pretty war weary now. Anyway, if you can help me get this thing set up I would really appreciate it. I haven't wanted to deal with this until I got used to the TrackIR, but I think I am ready now. Thanks.

Regards,
sledgehammer2

Cajun76
01-09-2005, 12:27 AM
Not to take anything away from Bearcat, but do a search for "Tully__" and check out his sig if you want. He has an X-45 profile, and a link to a guide at Mudmovers. My sig also has Mudmovers. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Tully__
01-09-2005, 08:04 AM
I'd suggest you assign track-IR recenter and toggle on/off to two primary hat positions (Hat 1 on joystick) and use the remaining positions for whatever you like (arrestor hook, chocks, toggle canopy....). You could use my profile (link under my signature picture) as a base or start from scratch.

sledgehammer2
01-09-2005, 10:43 AM
OK, this helps. Tully, are you saying assign all of the mentioned functions to that one hat switch?

Wilburnator
01-09-2005, 11:00 AM
I think he is saying you can assign what you like. There is no "right" setup, these things are a matter of preference. I had an X36, and now I have an X52... and my current setup is the result of alot of experimenting. Sometimes something seems like a great idea until you get in game, then the flaw jumps out at you in combat. Take your time. Have fun. You're the boss, lol.

Wilburnator
01-09-2005, 11:08 AM
I will also add this... if you were to try to assign ALL those funtions to ONE hatswitch, that would be an excersise in absolute frustration, lol. I would limit an 8 way switch to 4 functions at the most, so you aren't cycling through a bunch of unintended actions every time you want to, say, put your flaps down.

actionhank1786
01-09-2005, 11:08 AM
ok this may be a good place to ask this.
I've got the X-45 too, and i find that i dont have quite enough buttons for all the stuff i want.
I wanted to set it up so the little Aux1 switch could toggle between set ups for "Takeoff, Cruise, and Landing"
is there a way to do this?
Say i could have it in it's first position for Takeoff and that would have Gear, Canopy, etc, then for the Landing position, it would have the tail hook, wing fold, things like that
Any ideas Tully?

Airmail109
01-09-2005, 11:23 AM
I have my cannon button on the pinkie switch...its much better! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

T_O_A_D
01-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Its all there in your profiler software. Just plunk around in it, its easy once you get the jist of how it works.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by actionhank1786:
I've got the X-45 too, and i find that i dont have quite enough buttons for all the stuff i want.
I wanted to set it up so the little Aux1 switch could toggle between set ups for "Takeoff, Cruise, and Landing"
Say i could have it in it's first position for Takeoff and that would have Gear, Canopy, etc, then for the Landing position, it would have the tail hook, wing fold, things like that
Any ideas Tully? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

sledgehammer2
01-09-2005, 08:04 PM
Tully, I tried to set it up where I mapped the TrackIR on/off to a hat switch on the stick, but it won't work. I keep having to use the command keys. Also, I am trying to set it up where I map the rocker switch to drop and raise flaps. I don't know if I am doing something wrong but I have been using the P-51 as my test plane to get used to this... the flaps will drop when I press the rocker switch but they will not stay up - and I cannot get precise control. For example if I press the right side of the switch the flaps will start to lower, but I cannot get them to do it by notches. They drop all the way down and then start to come back up. Any idea what I am doing wrong? Thanks.

jrowland96
01-09-2005, 09:12 PM
Hank,

That's what I've done with the Mode switch. I have Mode 1 set for use in takeoff, landing, cruising. In Mode 1, I have all these buttons for canopy, chocks, landing gear, flaps, etc.

I then have Mode 2 set up where those are replaced with things like padlock, next enemy, cannons, mgs, etc.

It's very simple to do in the SST. If you have any specific questions, just email me at jrowland@wi.rr.com

John

Tully__
01-09-2005, 09:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by actionhank1786:
Any ideas Tully? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I gather you want to use the Aux switch as a second mode switch. It can't be done with Saitek's SST driver/profiler, but it can be done with Dhauzimmer's 3rd party drivers and any of the 3 "4th party" profilers that work with D's drivers. There're a bunch of really helpful Dhauzimmer users over at SimHQ's Saitek Help forum. (http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=79). Start a thread there if you're interested in trying this, but be aware there's a bit of work in changing the drivers over and the profiling is somewhat more complex to learn. Once you've learned it, you can do a lot of stuff that isn't supported by the Saitek drivers including fully user defined mode structures, directional banding of axes and cycle commands on one button.

Tully__
01-09-2005, 09:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sledgehammer2:
Tully, I tried to set it up where I mapped the TrackIR on/off to a hat switch on the stick, but it won't work. I keep having to use the command keys. Also, I am trying to set it up where I map the rocker switch to drop and raise flaps. I don't know if I am doing something wrong but I have been using the P-51 as my test plane to get used to this... the flaps will drop when I press the rocker switch but they will not stay up - and I cannot get precise control. For example if I press the right side of the switch the flaps will start to lower, but I cannot get them to do it by notches. They drop all the way down and then start to come back up. Any idea what I am doing wrong? Thanks. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't try to assign the Hat to track IR. Instead, use the profiler to set the hat to send the required key strokes. You'll have to disable key tracking or exit the TrackIR software while doing the profile as in standard configuration TrackIR wont let other software see the keystrokes when you're in the profiler.

As the the flaps thing, if you assign the rocker axis to flaps they'll stay half way down all the time. You need to set the rocker to "banded" in your pofile. Set up three bands. Leave the centre one blank (as a dead zone) and assign "F" to one end and "V" to the other end. The rocker will now send the appropriate key strokes for the default raise and lower flaps commands. If you've assigned keyboard keys other than the defaults for flaps, you'll need to used your assigned keys instead of F & V.

Bearcat99
01-09-2005, 09:46 PM
You are in good hands with Tully the joystick man... you might also want to check out Adlabs' X-45 profile in the Sturmovik Essentials link.

sledgehammer2
01-10-2005, 12:21 AM
OK, This is great info. I just actually hooked it all up earlier this evening and I think I need to go back tomorrow night and redo something in the installation process. After I inserted the CD I saw something in a forum at Saitek that recommending downloading the latest software and drivers (I have XP).

So I did that. Anyway, I went through all the prompts and supposedly completed the process, but if I go back and click on the desktop SST icon to go into the Profiler it tells me I need to hook up the device. I think I know why this is the case.

But more importantly in the way I did my installation I think I bypassed the Profile editor. Everything works but as you can see by my stupid questions I need to go back and use the SST profiler. After I got it going earlier I went into the actual FB/AEP/PF control screen and assigned just enough functions to be able to t/o and fly. I have alot of work to do with this thing, and alot to learn.