PDA

View Full Version : your views of the saitek x52

92SqnGCJimbo
09-04-2008, 01:19 PM
am i the only person who finds the x52 shall we say 'uncomfortable' after using it for a while ive reverted back to basically a sidewinder 1 built under licence by game.

for me it seems the basic height of the handle requires too much arm movement resulting in very clumsy flight...

so am i the only one?

P.FunkAdelic
09-04-2008, 01:40 PM
I just got my X-52 and the first thing I did was adjust the variable height handle. My hands are big but not so big they can use the full size.

Also I'd say try the alternative to whatever you're doing, ie. if you had it on your desk rig up a stack of books or an upturned garbage can from your room so that you can have the stick between your legs.

At the end of the day though the stick isn't perfect. I find there to be friction and I even just noticed a dead zone in the left roll which is easy enough to deal with.

The real reason you should love the x52 is the throttle. I've been playing IL-2 for a week and I wouldn't play without a HOTAS and no HOTAS aside from an absurdly expensive uber-ubgraded Cougar seems to have as good a throttle as this one. I know long term after I get rudder pedals I'm ditching the x52 stick for a combat stick from CH because... well this stick isn't perfect, it take effort to learn how to fly precisely with it.

The comfort factor though might just be you having neglected to realize theres a hand rest that can me moved up or down. Or you need to adjust how high you have the stick itself. I have read that the CH Fighterstick is a mammoth and that you probably want to put it lower if you want to be able to use the upper buttons. I guess every stick has its flaws.

jayhall0315
09-04-2008, 01:55 PM
I had a brand new Saitek X-52 loaned to me, so that I could help write a guide for new guys on joystick setup in IL2. My problems although not major were:

1 - With two weeks of serious flight time on the stick, I started getting dead band issues and had loss of play at the center of the stick. This was not major, but then I wondered what would have happened if I had the stick for a year or so.

2 - The force needed to rotate the stick (control rudder) would often move the base and knock my alignment out of whack.

The positives would include:

1 - Rotary dials on the throttle which are IMHO the best method of controlling trim. The slider is also nice for prop pitch.

Having said that though, and having nothing against Saitek, the X-52 cannot hold a candle to my CH Fighterstick and Pro Throttle. The Pro Throttle does not have rotary dials but it and the Fighterstick are damn tough, precise and have developed absolutely zero play or dead band issues after almost five months.

Jay

Stingray333
09-04-2008, 03:19 PM
I have an X-52 pro, I love it, nothing but good times

Stingray

Marcel_Albert
09-04-2008, 03:29 PM
X-52 was really disappointing for me , I quickly brought it back to the shop .

Reason is that although i really liked the throttle , the stick was really way too soft/loose , i tried a trick with "chatterton" (some adhesive stuff , sry for English ) at the base of the stick to make it stiffer , but even so , it wasn't for me , there was too many buttons on the top of the stick also , it bothered me

Used Microsoft force feedback 2 stick for 6 years , and loved it so much , accurate ,very nice quality (for the price) , tough/durable , good control and stiffness , gutted they stopped producing it .

Next move for me is to try CH products with separate rudder and throttle cause my MFF2 is now really old and i heard good feedback about it , never been fan of buying stuffs by internet from foreign countries , but there is a first time for everything i guess http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SlithMan
09-04-2008, 04:25 PM
I just got the saitek x52 recentley and I thought it sucked a lot, I have a fighterstick on order and oicked up a x45 to hold me over which is a bit better in my opinion.

TheFamilyMan
09-04-2008, 04:31 PM
I hated my first experience with an X52:
1. Centering spring is amazingly loose
2. Too much throw distance required
3. All the dials, and especially the mouse wheel, felt really cheap
After two days of attempting to adjust from using my logitech stick, I returned it and went back to the logitech. The experience really bummed me out; I didn't want to spend $200+ for a hotas setup.

A few weeks later I gave the X52 Pro a closer look (it was on sale at amazon). It fixes 1. and 3. above, and with setting the control curves to all 100%, pretty much took care of 2. My only complaint now:
1. Base for both units could use to be heavier
2. A tiny, tiny amount of deadband, feels more like the handle itself wobbles about the shaft. This really does not bother me much (for now, ignorance of perfection is bliss).
3. Programming it is limited: can't make a button press driven progessive state machine command stream (yes, do I know about the macros/keystrokes types and do use them).
4. About once or twice a month it loses its mind (which sucks if you're 20 min. into a co-op and it tosses just when things are really getting interesting). I think it maybe a bad connection; reseating the connectors at the base usually fixed the problem.

For where I'm at with flight sims, my X52 Pro is all I really need and overall I'm happy with it. When it gives out, I'll definately upgrade to CH products.

VMF-214_HaVoK
09-04-2008, 05:52 PM
My X-52 like many sticks I have owned over the years broke not long after I got it. I, like many of the wise people around here went with CH Products and never looked back.

S!

R_Target
09-04-2008, 06:06 PM
I've always thought Saitek sticks were junk, but I use the X52 throttle and really like it. The stick is in the closet with my CH and MSFFB I.

VW-IceFire
09-04-2008, 07:04 PM
I like my X-52...except for the spring which is squeaky...but aside from that its pretty rocking. I came from a MS Sidewinder Precision Pro 2...which is similar to the FF2. That was a great stick but the buttons started to die on it...so its a spare right now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I adjusted to the different feel of the X-52...I like its longer throw and weightier feel.

It is a shame that MS stopped the Sidewinder line. That was a good set of sticks they were making.

Urufu_Shinjiro
09-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by 92SqnGCJimbo:
am i the only person who finds the x52 shall we say 'uncomfortable' after using it for a while ive reverted back to basically a sidewinder 1 built under licence by game.

for me it seems the basic height of the handle requires too much arm movement resulting in very clumsy flight...

so am i the only one?

Because of the long movement on the stick set the input curve to all 100's and then it's much better. I don't get why people dislike the long throw, it gives you more control, you have more fidelity. Would people complain if they had a floor mounted WWII stick because it's so long?

Chivas
09-05-2008, 01:40 PM
The long throw can be a problem if you have a deadzone like the original X52's had. Setting to all 100's helped masked the problem but in my tests I could get a kill with the MSFF2 in half the time it took with the X52.

All in all the X52 was bad experience for me in most aspects of the joystick.

The Throttle was very uncomfortable compared to my Cougar Throttle.

Now I use a MSFF2 with the Cougar throttle and Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I'm thinking of modding my Cougar joystick with the car universal joint. It sounds very interesting.