PDA

View Full Version : reformating hard drive

the_Wakeful
04-25-2004, 12:17 PM
I have been using win2000 for a month or so but I just got a new copy of winxp. It installed just fine but it didn't atke win2000 off the harddrive. so now I want to wipe clean the entire drive and install winxp as if it was a new comp. only problem is that i don't know how to do that from winxp or win2000. if you could point me in the right direction i would appreciate it.

Hate life; Fear death

the_Wakeful
04-25-2004, 12:17 PM
I have been using win2000 for a month or so but I just got a new copy of winxp. It installed just fine but it didn't atke win2000 off the harddrive. so now I want to wipe clean the entire drive and install winxp as if it was a new comp. only problem is that i don't know how to do that from winxp or win2000. if you could point me in the right direction i would appreciate it.

Hate life; Fear death

steve_v
04-25-2004, 12:56 PM
Go into BIOS and select cd-rom as first boot device. Load your XP disc into the drive and reboot. You will be able to reformat with the tools on your XP install disc. When done, you'll have a clean hd and a fresh install of XP.

the_Wakeful
04-25-2004, 01:09 PM
yay! thank u much

Hate life; Fear death

LEXX_Luthor
04-25-2004, 01:22 PM
Tools....

When you get XP up running, under Start button do Start-Run diskmgmt.msc -- its great at managing hard disks and I use it to manage hard disks I use for backups.

Or search under Start button for file diskmgmt and put a shortcut on desktop.

"You will still have FB , you will lose nothing" ~WUAF_Badsight
"I had actually pre ordered CFS3 and I couldnt wait..." ~Bearcat99
"Gladiator and Falco, elegant weapons of a more civilized age" ~ElAurens
:
"Damn.....Where you did read about Spitfire made from a wood?
Close this book forever and don't open anymore!" ~Oleg_Maddox http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

AdEridanus
04-25-2004, 07:12 PM
If you have a Western Digital HD, look into DataLifeguard on their website. I bought a 120GB drive and DataLifeguard made it a snap. If I remember correctly, it had many options for reformats, though I'm not sure if you could use the utility to reformat the hard drive that its on.