PDA

View Full Version : OXM - ACR offers more "Prince of Persia" style linear sequences

Rea1SamF1sher
06-14-2011, 02:08 PM
Assassin's Creed: Revelations offers more "Prince of Persia" style linear sequences - OXM.com (http://www.oxm.co.uk/30237/news/assassins-creed-revelations-offers-more-prince-of-persia-style-linear-sequences/)

That's exactly the kind of news people, who were all for non scripted missions in an open world game and freedom, didn't want to hear.

On the one side people are asking for more freedom but on the other side the devs are deciding to make the game even more linear. Now there may be some people who will say that the story is the most important part in the AC series and will argue that the story should affect the gameplay or at least wouldn't have a problem with that. But as Alex Amancio said they are going to implement even more "Prince of Persia" moments and linearity.

Now the question is: Why bothering at all to make an open world, if the missions are linear or scripted anyway? You could just as well do a Prince of Persia style game with Assassin's Creed. I mean Open World games have a high replay value because you are free to do everything the game gives to you. Just like GTA offers the open world and a lot of freedom in the world and in the missions too.

What do you think about that? Story is important in AC, I agree but gameplay is just as important because that's why you play a game. But other games can tell a great story without affecting the gameplay, more exactly the missions, to much. Do you think it's ok or do you want to have freedom when doing your mission?

BK-110
06-14-2011, 02:17 PM
I don't mind linear sequences, but the game should consist mainly of missions, mainly assassinations, that allow you to approach the objective in your own way, like in AC1... That's what I think and I know many others do as well...

iN3krO
06-14-2011, 02:18 PM
And the rest of the article?

Ubisoft i must say i won't buy the game, i will just download it to play it, you have go far enough!

DavisP92
06-14-2011, 02:33 PM
story is very important but if ubisoft keeps going the way they are now i will stop buying AC games. I'll just rent them, or borrow them because why would i want a game that doesn't let me play the way i want. that's one of the Big concepts that attracted me to AC.

So yea that's my opinion, if AC3 becomes a scripted game then i'm done buying all AC games from then on. (and there will be more games).

Rea1SamF1sher
06-14-2011, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by daniel_gervide:
Maybe you should click on the link, there is the full article.

Originally posted by Pdavis3:
...why would i want a game that doesn't let me play the way i want. that's one of the Big concepts that attracted me to AC.
Same for me here. It's one big aspect of an open world game and one big aspect which was part of AC1.

phil.llllll
06-14-2011, 02:36 PM
If they can do something new with the idea and not just be another tomb clone section from AC2/B, then I don't mind. I think that's what they were talking about (i.e. separate one off sections not that the main game is getting any more linear... at least I hope not).

What would be more interesting would be an actual tomb like layout where we can pick our routes and have more interesting aspects to explore.

iN3krO
06-14-2011, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Andre202:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by daniel_gervide:

...why would i want a game that doesn't let me play the way i want. that's one of the Big concepts that attracted me to AC.
Same for me here. It's one big aspect of an open world game and one big aspect which was part of AC1. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I meant that the rest of article was as ridiculous as what u talked about...

More war-machines like missions? they were kinda modern warfare LOL...

xx-pyro
06-14-2011, 02:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andre202:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by daniel_gervide:

Same for me here. It's one big aspect of an open world game and one big aspect which was part of AC1. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

More war-machines like missions? they were kinda modern warfare LOL... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your concept of modern is seriously skewed.

LieutenantJojo
06-14-2011, 02:45 PM
So does this also mean more of the 100% synchronization? I really hope not, because that's one thing I hated about ACB.

iN3krO
06-14-2011, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by xx-pyro:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andre202:

More war-machines like missions? they were kinda modern warfare LOL... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your concept of modern is seriously skewed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

16th century's tank? flying machines? I'm being ironic saying modern warfare but it's pretty much near the truth...

DavisP92
06-14-2011, 02:52 PM
yea even though it had all of those, it was a nice break. but i wouldn't want to have a tank or flying machine again, i got sick of it right after i beat it the first time.

If they are refering to scripted missions, hopefully they are reffering only to the exotic moments. when something big is happeing, like the demo when the boats are on fire and it really only wants u to go one path

El_Sjietah
06-14-2011, 02:56 PM
Looks like "highly realised" will be the buzz word for ACR, whatever that means.

xx-pyro
06-14-2011, 03:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by xx-pyro:

Your concept of modern is seriously skewed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

16th century's tank? flying machines? I'm being ironic saying modern warfare but it's pretty much near the truth... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those were all designs by Leonardo that were found in his notebooks (except I believe the gondola with the cannons on it,) so I'd say if anything it's a nice easter egg to people who enjoy history. He never got them just right but it was a cool thing it incorporate during the first playthrough.

Not to mention they aren't even mandatory to do (with the exception of one.)

thekyle0
06-14-2011, 03:07 PM
I guess this will be the first Assassin's Creed game I just rent.

DavisP92
06-14-2011, 03:25 PM
iremember hearing all the other things the developer was doing with the game and i thought, "this guy could make AC more enjoyable" but it looks like him and the new crew will ruin the AC series.

All in all there better be more unscripted gameplay then scripted. and if there isn't then i'm not gonna buy AC games again until it goes back to the orginal AC1 style (unscripted)

iN3krO
06-14-2011, 03:28 PM
iremember hearing all the other things the developer was doing with the game and i thought, "this guy could make AC more enjoyable" but it looks like him and the new crew will ruin the AC series.

All in all there better be more unscripted gameplay then scripted. and if there isn't then i'm not gonna buy AC games again until it goes back to the orginal AC1 style (unscripted)

this

piratprince
06-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Dont be stupid. This game seems to be a better brotherhood experience than the last. I think for the setting and story i will buy this. They also talk about improvements in higher, middel and lower gameplay design. (moore organic package in free roam, random mission, scripted linear events, assassins dens etc.) as we shall see later.

Dont think so negative. Brotherhood is an excellent game. On top of that they will improved many gameplay elemets.

Its clear this time we will get an epic ending of Ezio Auditore da Firenze. I hope for an outstanding game. The best blockbuster ac evermadehttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I do miss some simulation elements of ac1 but for "this" we have to wait for ac3 maybe http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Surely i will buy this game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

iN3krO
06-14-2011, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Pirat of Persia Warrior Muffin:
Dont be stupid. This game seems to be a better brotherhood experience than the last. I think for the setting and story i will buy this. They also talk about improvements in higher, middel and lower gameplay design. (moore organic package in free roam, random mission, scripted linear events, assassins dens etc.) as we shall see later.

Dont think so negative. Brotherhood is an excellent game. On top of that they will improved many gameplay elemets.

Its clear this time we will get an epic ending of Ezio Auditore da Firenze. I hope for an outstanding game. The best blockbuster ac evermadehttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I do miss some simulation elements of ac1 but for "this" we have to wait for ac3 maybe http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Surely i will buy this game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The question is: If you had to chose what game was better what would you chose? AcB i'm sure (i can notice in your reply)... for me it's just another game like GTA and GodFather. Ac1 was a new type of game that sadly we won't see never again...

SupremeCaptain

I don't care about a better "Brotherhood" game, I want a better "AC1" game.

Nadavsalzberger
i will stop buying AC games.

Will you guys stop already? What they mention in this article isn't that AC will start being PoP, their just confirming some missions simillar to the laird in AC2 and ACB...
I don't know bout you but I found them fun and challenging.
If you ain't gonna rent this game because of like five missions that are probably completely optional and fun, well your lost.
Nuff' said.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Please do not bypass the Language Filter.</span>

Blind2Society
06-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Ok, so if this is the direction AC is going to take, then it is going to be relegated to whatever status. Meaning, I will wait for a used copy, play and beat it in under 7 days just to get the story. Then I will return it for a full refund.

C'mon, they are releasing BrotherhoodII with even less freedom. Of course I will have to wait until after I've beaten the game, but I believe AC just lost it's place at the top of my all time favorite game series.

Just to convey my issue, the games that were behind AC on the list were Fallout 3/NV and Final Fantasy 8/7. All of which were open world with total freedom. I realise AC is not completely like these games and never should or will be, but it should be moving closer to them not further away. I am severely disappointed http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

PhiIs1618033
06-14-2011, 04:02 PM
Dont be stupid. This game seems to be a better brotherhood experience than the last.
To me, that doesn't say much. I thought AC:B wasn't particularly good. It was just another game, like Halo 3 was to me. (And I've got absolutely NOTHING with shooters)

I think for the setting and story i will buy this. They also talk about improvements in higher, middel and lower gameplay design. (moore organic package in free roam, random mission, scripted linear events, assassins dens etc.) as we shall see later.
"scripted linear events"
Which is exactly what some of us do not want to see. They're making changes in gameplay design that don't have any connection to what we're asking for. Sure, it's alright that they integrate everything more, but it doesn't have high priority in our eyes.

piratprince
06-14-2011, 04:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pirat of Persia Warrior Muffin:

The question is: If you had to chose what game was better what would you chose? AcB i'm sure (i can notice in your reply)... for me it's just another game like GTA and GodFather. Ac1 was a new type of game that sadly we won't see never again... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No thats not true. (You can not compare these different games http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif*fanboy truely iam* )

The potential of ac 1 is much moore iconic and even moore "creedably". Its a concept of true next generation gaming but fails in execution.
I really love ac1 but i cant deny it was boring gameplaywise expect for the assassinations.

Sadly the reality is true Money money and moore important consciousness http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

But for a development point of view its not possible to make a game which can feed the core and the casual gamer.

because its already a game developed by 6 GAMESTUDIOS.

This game has much moore to offer than MW for instance + its moore fun. more than 30Hours of gameplay vs 6 hour.

Edit:. Unscripted games need more time to balance. Publisher wants money. Its a fact.

NewBlade200
06-14-2011, 04:28 PM
Thanks. This artical just convinced me not to buy this game. Since there is no place in my town that lets you rent games, I'll buy it used after Xmas.
Of course I could just download it a week before it gets released. Great job Assassins Creed team.
Abuse your PC audience, start yearly releases, then disregard everything we've been asking you for to make 16th century Call of Duty, even when you can't steal their market, and you are butchering your own franchise.
So, anyone know a good torrent site?

Nadavsalzberger
06-14-2011, 04:35 PM
Omg stop with yer cry in already... All this means is that some Laura will be back along with maybe one or two missions simmer to siege of Monterrigione or Valana.
If you wanna skip this game for like six missions then be my guest, I'm just sayin I know you all enjoyed ABC, although you always cll it crap

iN3krO
06-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Nadavsalzberger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pdavis3:

Will you guys stop already? What they mention in this article isn't that AC will start being PoP, their just confirming some missions simillar to the laird in AC2 and ACB...
If you ain't gonna rent this game because of like five missions that are probably completely optional and fun, well your lost.
Nuff' said.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Please do not bypass the Language Filter.</span> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Challenge? the cam would fix to where you needed to go in AcB, i see no challenge in it -.-

Also, i don't think that ezio would chase a guard when he could kill him without him noticing if we had freedom in those missions....

Oh, and i would rent cuz i don't buy games i don't intend to do 100%, and AcR might not be one of that games that i want to do 100% (unlike Ac1 and Ac2)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pirat of Persia Warrior Muffin:

The question is: If you had to chose what game was better what would you chose? AcB i'm sure (i can notice in your reply)... for me it's just another game like GTA and GodFather. Ac1 was a new type of game that sadly we won't see never again... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No thats not true. (You can not compare these different games http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif*fanboy truely iam* )

The potential of ac 1 is much moore iconic and even moore "creedably". Its a concept of true next generation gaming but fails in execution.
I really love ac1 but i cant deny it was boring gameplaywise expect for the assassinations.

Sadly the reality is true Money money and moore important consciousness http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

But for a development point of view its not possible to make a game which can feed the core and the casual gamer.

This game has much moore to offer than MW for instance + its moore fun. more than 30Hours of gameplay vs 6 hour.

Edit:. Unscripted games need more time to balance. Publisher wants money. Its a fact. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I prefer a concept of a next generation of gaming (the generation i've been waiting all my life) rather than games that i've seen already something similar (scripted missions, easy confronts, etc, etc...)

even bad executed, ac1 got more my attention than ac2 and brotherhood.

And to be truth, for a concept, it's too good... Maybe, one of the best games i've ever played (and the one i've beaten more times).

SleezeRocker
06-14-2011, 04:48 PM
This game will have become morel ike Prince of Persia if AC introduces this as a P.O.E.

LOL :P

http://www.digitalbusstop.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Dagger-of-Time.jpg

xx-pyro
06-14-2011, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by SleezeRocker:
This game will have become morel ike Prince of Persia if AC introduces this as a P.O.E.

LOL :P

http://www.digitalbusstop.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Dagger-of-Time.jpg

I was under the impression that this was the artifact hidden under Maysaf..

piratprince
06-14-2011, 05:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nadavsalzberger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pdavis3:

Nuff' said.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Please do not bypass the Language Filter.</span> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Challenge? the cam would fix to where you needed to go in AcB, i see no challenge in it -.-

Also, i don't think that ezio would chase a guard when he could kill him without him noticing if we had freedom in those missions....

Oh, and i would rent cuz i don't buy games i don't intend to do 100%, and AcR might not be one of that games that i want to do 100% (unlike Ac1 and Ac2)

Edit:. Unscripted games need more time to balance. Publisher wants money. Its a fact. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I prefer a concept of a next generation of gaming (the generation i've been waiting all my life) rather than games that i've seen already something similar (scripted missions, easy confronts, etc, etc...)

even bad executed, ac1 got more my attention than ac2 and brotherhood.

And to be truth, for a concept, it's too good... Maybe, one of the best games i've ever played (and the one i've beaten more times). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really appreciate that.

But i do like this series. Iam not so black and white. Hmm moore gray http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif (ok this sounds gay :O)

Let see how this will turn out http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Velvit
06-14-2011, 05:06 PM
This is a disappointment.

It seems the Freedom in AC games is decreasing game to game.

I hope they are not trying to make Assassins creed look action movieish with these more linear events. We will just have to wait and see.

SupremeCaptain
06-14-2011, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Velvit:
This is a disappointment.

It seems the Freedom in AC games is decreasing game to game.

I hope they are not trying to make Assassins creed look action movieish with these more linear events. We will just have to wait and see.

What they are trying to do is make the game's audience wider (For money, of course), whilst ignoring the true fans and what the game is suppose to be to begin with.

LaurenIsSoMosh
06-14-2011, 05:12 PM
Why is everyone complaining about these scenes?

The tombs/lairs in II and Brotherhood were breaks from the main story to go exploring and complete a side story. Not only were they completely optional, but they also did not hinder the main game in any way.

You're reading 'we're adding more of this' and interpreting it as 'we're abandoning the open world structure and taking Assassin's Creed in a completely linear direction.'

What Alex is saying is that, on top of the open world structure you know and love, there will also be opportunities to take a break from that to go explore some hidden areas.

xx-pyro
06-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by LaurenIsSoMosh:

The tombs/lairs in II and Brotherhood were breaks from the main story to go exploring and complete a side story. Not only were they completely optional, but they also did not hinder the main game in any way.

You're reading 'we're adding more of this' and interpreting it as 'we're abandoning the open world structure and taking Assassin's Creed in a completely linear direction.'

What Alex is saying is that, on top of the open world structure you know and love, there will also be opportunities to take a break from that to go explore some hidden areas.

Excellently put.

NewBlade200
06-14-2011, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Nadavsalzberger:
Omg stop with yer cry in already... All this means is that some Laura will be back along with maybe one or two missions simmer to siege of Monterrigione or Valana.
If you wanna skip this game for like six missions then be my guest, I'm just sayin I know you all enjoyed ACB , although you always cll it crap Of course I enjoyed ACB, but I bought it expecting an Assassin's Creed game, and in my eyes it wasn't.
The game was mediocre on its own but compared to other Assassin's Creeds it is pathetic. Brotherhood was the first game in the AC series that I genuinley thought it would be better if I had bought it used, or just not bought it at all and get 20 tubes of pringles instead. No matter how much I defended it when they showed the over simplified combat, the scripted tank mission (which showed more CoD than AC), and the fact they said it would be shorter, it was still a dissapointment. I will not defend this game when it says it will expand the aspects of Brotherhood that were bad.
Casual gamers will take whatever you give them as long as it has nice box art and an epic trailer. We the hardcore gamers ask that you put work into your games, and we won't take what you serve us unless it appeals to our tastes.
I am a Fanboy, not a fool. You cannot move me. Here I stand.
I should be given an award for that last bit, preferably a cookie http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Blind2Society
06-14-2011, 05:32 PM

This is irrelevant. They compared these linear sequences to the Leonardo missions. These missions were part of the main story imo, as they were part of destroying Cesare's miltary. Making these missions more linear is a step in the wrobng direction.

No, that's not what they said. What they said was they are changing these missions and making them more scripted and linear. Once again, a step in the wrong direction.

To conclude, the only thing 'open world' and free about ACB was, you could choose which order you played side missions in. Now those side missions are even more linear. This is, by my deffinition, and EPIC FAIL. Of course, I will be getting the game mainly because I have to know whay happens, but honestly, it appears this series is moving in the wrong direction.

NewBlade200
06-14-2011, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Blind2Society
Of course, I will be getting the game mainly because I have to know whay happens, but honestly, it appears this series is moving in the wrong direction. Just watch a walkthrough on youtube for the story.

Conniving_Eagle
06-14-2011, 05:37 PM
Well... I must say I am truly disappointed, another franchise with so much potential... thrown away because a lazy company wants money. I think AC is going to become like Call of Duty. Just a washed up franchise that releases every sinlge year. Also, I realized something. ACB was half as long as AC2. AC2 had 14 sequences, ACB had 9, but 1,8, and 9 were all entirely scripted. Shame really...

Dagio12
06-14-2011, 11:10 PM
i think people are looking way to hard into this. its like you guys NEED a reason to complain and be negative about every little aspect that gets brought up for this game. Ill be the first to admit if Im wrong if the game comes out and its a linear mess.. but really, thats not what i can take out of this little tiny article. its just seems to me that they are taking those tomb/lairs type side missions and putting more of them in, as well as making some of those moments more "realised," detailed and story driven. making some of them more linear only helps game developers paint the picture of the story more. for the most part, i personally really enjoyed those tombs and lairs as they broke up the game and made for some really fun platforming moments ( which is probably where they get the PoP reference). just my opinion of course.. but i dont think its as bad as some of you want to think.

protesthishero
06-15-2011, 12:11 AM
"We're taking that idea and having more linear sequences. But instead of having more challenge-based sequences, we're having highly realised sequences. So we're drawing the emotion from the actual realisation and intensity, rather than from climbing puzzles for example. You will have those moments in the game."

Take a minute to analyse this particular paragraph. Done? Now for all of you who think the 100% sync requirements are back, I can personally guarantee that they're not. Key words : "Challenge-based sequences". No more of them. So far so good, right? And I can see why people think AC is going to be more linear :
1. Alex compares a few sequences to POP.
2. He keeps uttering the word "linear".
Let me clarify both of these doubts : First and foremost, the reason why Mr. Alex mentions POP and "linearity" in this article is for a casual audience to be intrigued. Because before AC, what was Ubisoft known for? What are they famous for? They are trying to reach out to a new audience by simply saying "Hey casual-gamers-who-liked-POP. We've got something similiar." He is not by any means saying that AC is going to turn into a POP-style platformer. Simple reason - Why? They could just release a POP game instead, right? They know that AC is a gigantic seller and front-runner for their company. So why would they change the tried-and-true formula? Second of all, you guys are totally misinterpreting what the guy said. By "highly realised", what Alex is trying to say is - Instead of giving you objectives like "go to point a" and a cinematic is triggered or "finish the objective in such and such way or within a given time" to give you another cinematic, the game will give you a MAIN objective ONLY and while traversing the path to your objective, you will have twists in the narrative. Like an ambush for eg. The core gameplay is still the same, as in you still get to free-run and roam around the city where side missions are triggered automatically (which you can choose not to do) and within the main missions, you will have only have ONE objective (and no "challenge-based sequences"), which you can choose how to do, within a restricted area (JUST LIKE AC1!!), but along the way to your objective you will be faced with additional challenges that are unavoidable. That's where the "linearity" and the "exotic gameplay" comes in.
So for those of you who have decided to rent it, torrent it or avoid it completely, all I can say is..Your loss.

Dagio12
06-15-2011, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by protesthishero:
"We're taking that idea and having more linear sequences. But instead of having more challenge-based sequences, we're having highly realised sequences. So we're drawing the emotion from the actual realisation and intensity, rather than from climbing puzzles for example. You will have those moments in the game."

Take a minute to analyse this particular paragraph. Done? Now for all of you who think the 100% sync requirements are back, I can personally guarantee that they're not. Key words : "Challenge-based sequences". No more of them. So far so good, right? And I can see why people think AC is going to be more linear :
Let me clarify both of these doubts : First and foremost, the reason why Mr. Alex mentions POP and "linearity" in this article is for a casual audience to be intrigued. Because before AC, what was Ubisoft known for? What are they famous for? They are trying to reach out to a new audience by simply saying "Hey casual-gamers-who-liked-POP. We've got something similiar." He is not by any means saying that AC is going to turn into a POP-style platformer. Simple reason - Why? They could just release a POP game instead, right? They know that AC is a gigantic seller and front-runner for their company. So why would they change the tried-and-true formula? Second of all, you guys are totally misinterpreting what the guy said. By "highly realised", what Alex is trying to say is - Instead of giving you objectives like "go to point a" and a cinematic is triggered or "finish the objective in such and such way or within a given time" to give you another cinematic, the game will give you a MAIN objective ONLY and while traversing the path to your objective, you will have twists in the narrative. Like an ambush for eg. The core gameplay is still the same, as in you still get to free-run and roam around the city where side missions are triggered automatically (which you can choose not to do) and within the main missions, you will have only have ONE objective (and no "challenge-based sequences"), which you can choose how to do, within a restricted area (JUST LIKE AC1!!), but along the way to your objective you will be faced with additional challenges that are unavoidable. That's where the "linearity" and the "exotic gameplay" comes in.
So for those of you who have decided to rent it, torrent it or avoid it completely, all I can say is..Your loss.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Blind2Society
06-15-2011, 01:14 AM
@protesthishero:
That was well put and your interpretation actually eased my mind quite a bit. Linear is simply a word that needs to be striken from the gaming dictionary. Mentioning the words 'more linear' and the like is frightening when, for way too long, we have been saying more freedom and less linearity.

edzilla_551
06-15-2011, 01:26 AM
to the people who say their not going to buy it, who cares, no one on here is gonna care, i for one am going to buy it because i loved all games even if they all had their flaws, besides you cant judge this game based of 1 article, you guys are funny and im sorry you feel disappointed, but again its your loss! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

acjake
06-15-2011, 02:49 AM
not sure if it has already been posted but this interview may answer some questions about ACR's gameplay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_z0nYAJC0k

Blind2Society
06-15-2011, 03:19 AM
He didn't comment much, if at all, on how much freedom we would have in the missions and assassinations. All he really spoke of was the freedom we have while roaming the city and fighting gaurds. Regardless, thanks for the link. That was probably the best ACR interview I've seen yet.

Vey03
06-15-2011, 04:07 AM
Good interview. And hearing stuff like that, sounds really positive.

Regarding the OP, there's an interview, i think it was one of the first ones about ACR, where they show the SP gameplay, and he says 'those scenes are commonplace in ACR', or some such.

At the time, i took that to mean that there was more explosions and 'Hollywood' in the game, and instantly felt sick.
But he may have meant that scripted scenes are commonplace, regardless of what they actually are.

He did say in that interview that we have no way of getting around some things. That they are just in the story and that's that.
Which i don't really mind. I accept that we're never going to be totally 'free'. There is a story to follow, and they need to get us to the end somehow.
I just don't want them holding my hand. I don't mind having to do something. But i do mind being told how to do it.

But just like the 'that type of scene is commonplace in ACR' comment, other comments about the game could also have multiple meanings.

Blind2Society
06-15-2011, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by Mouse03:
I just don't want them holding my hand. I don't mind having to do something. But i do mind being told how to do it.
Exactly.

masterfenix2009
06-15-2011, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by Blind2Society:
He didn't comment much, if at all, on how much freedom we would have in the missions and assassinations. All he really spoke of was the freedom we have while roaming the city and fighting gaurds. Regardless, thanks for the link. That was probably the best ACR interview I've seen yet. He did comment on the bombs on how you use them to kill the target the way you want. Unscripted assassinations? He also said you use eagle sense to investigate your target.

Blind2Society
06-15-2011, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by assassino151:
He did comment on the bombs on how you use them to kill the target the way you want. Unscripted assassinations? He also said you use eagle sense to investigate your target.
I believe he was talking about killing random guards while free roaming and the like, not assassinations.

I sincerely hope there are unscripted assasinations where we actually have to use the eagle sense. They way he described using it to see where guards will go, well, mobile guard groups always move in a set pattern anyway so...

masterfenix2009
06-15-2011, 04:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by assassino151:
He did comment on the bombs on how you use them to kill the target the way you want. Unscripted assassinations? He also said you use eagle sense to investigate your target.
I believe he was talking about killing random guards while free roaming and the like, not assassinations. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Actually,I do believe he said target. 8:40 to 8:50. 6:00 to 6:30

Blind2Society
06-15-2011, 04:47 AM
He also called Ezio Desmond http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif But I'll check it out.

You're right, he did mention that and I am pleased. Hopefully this means we won't always know who are targets are. They were always telling and showing us who are targets were and even went as far as to give us Abstergos files on them before we actually assassinated them.

Don't get me wrong sometimes the linear structure and knowing our target was fun but I don't want a larger portion of the game dedicated to it. For example the assassination sequence at the Colosseum was great.

El_Sjietah
06-15-2011, 05:43 AM
By "highly realised", what Alex is trying to say is - Instead of giving you objectives like "go to point a" and a cinematic is triggered or "finish the objective in such and such way or within a given time" to give you another cinematic, the game will give you a MAIN objective ONLY and while traversing the path to your objective, you will have twists in the narrative.

realised - successfully completed or brought to an end;

It's a meaningless word in the context Alex used it in. It's a common PR trick. You throw around an empty catchfrase, make it sound like it's something good and the people will take it exactly that way, without ever having to clarify anything.

Apparently it worked.

Although I must say that interview does give me some hope.

PhiIs1618033
06-15-2011, 05:54 AM
I hated the Colloseum assassination. There's your target! Now, first, walk from here to here to here. Done that? Good! Now run up to him and kill him with your hidden blade. What are you saying? Another weapon? You just use the hidden blade, sonny.

Blind2Society
06-15-2011, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by El_Sjietah:
realised - successfully completed or brought to an end;

It's a meaningless word in the context Alex used it in. It's a common PR trick. You throw around an empty catchfrase, make it sound like it's something good and the people will take it exactly that way, without ever having to clarify anything.

Apparently it worked.

Although I must say that interview does give me some hope.
I noticed this as well.

iN3krO
06-15-2011, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by edzilla_551:
to the people who say their not going to buy it, who cares, no one on here is gonna care, i for one am going to buy it because i loved all games even if they all had their flaws, besides you cant judge this game based of 1 article, you guys are funny and im sorry you feel disappointed, but again its your loss! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Ubisoft do cares... If they lose half the ppl that pre-order the game and colletionist versions (or how they are named), they will just see that the game is taking a wrong direction.

How it can be there linear-sided-missions if those sided-missions will be random?-.-

Also, i hope that for the second part u are right... i hated AcB a lot for that on top of other things.

Grandmaster_Z
06-15-2011, 07:49 AM
g*y!

i guess we will have wait for patrices new game from THQ

ShaneO7K
06-15-2011, 07:53 AM
I would say wait until you know more and see more of the game before you make decisions like these, but I know somebody will reply acting as if they already played the game and know if it is a good or a bad thing.

iN3krO
06-15-2011, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Grandmaster_Z:
g*y!

i guess we will have wait for patrices new game from THQ

+1

Let's hope he continues to try to make gaming join the new generation :P

DavisP92
06-15-2011, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by edzilla_551:

We Weren't stating our opinion to u so idk why u commented towards us in a way saying who cares about ur opinion. I've been with AC since 2007 and bought all their console games, I truly love the franchise. However i love the franchise because of how different it is to other games and the great story. It's great they are building on the story, but to try to remove on of the core gameplay features that actually attracted many of the ppl to the series is wrong. To say we listen to our fans and do the complete opposite of what a lot of us are asking isn't a good move in the franchise.

Granted that is one article (even tho more say the same) but that is why I stated that me buying the game will depend on what i hear in the coming month (they should tell us more soon). I want to buy all good AC games but ever since AC1 they started taking away what made the game special. Even with all it's faults, it was a good game.

Ohh and it's not really this "one" thing, it's more about the idea that we have been asking for them to do it a certain way since AC2 to make the games better and most of us here have the same thoughts about improving the game but they continue ignore our opinions for 3 years now. Who is to say that AC won't change into something completely different from what we originally loved in the series (it kinda already has). But here is to hoping that the series won't go downhill, attract all it's fans with new gameplay elements, and keep the feel of being an assassin. Come on AC I've been with u for 5 years now, I hope I can stay with u for another 5 haha.

iN3krO
06-15-2011, 08:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by edzilla_551:

We Weren't stating our opinion to u so idk why u commented towards us in a way saying who cares about ur opinion. I've been with AC since 2007 and bought all their console games, I truly love the franchise. However i love the franchise because of how different it is to other games and the great story. It's great they are building on the story, but to try to remove on of the core gameplay features that actually attracted many of the ppl to the series is wrong. To say we listen to our fans and do the complete opposite of what a lot of us are asking isn't a good move in the franchise.

Granted that is one article (even tho more say the same) but that is why I stated that me buying the game will depend on what i hear in the coming month (they should tell us more soon). I want to buy all good AC games but ever since AC1 they started taking away what made the game spacial. Even with all it's faults, it was a good game.

Ohh and it's not really this "one" thing, it's more about the idea that we have been asking for them to do it a certain way since AC2 to make the games better and most of us here have the same thoughts about improving the game but they continue ignore our opinions for 3 years now. Who is to say that AC won't change into something completely different from what we originally loved in the series (it kinda already has). But here is to hoping that the series won't go downhill, attract all it's fans with new gameplay elements, and keep the feel of being an assassin. Come on AC I've been with u for 5 years now, I hope I can stay with u for another 5 haha. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You hope, me too... you believe? me neither....

misterB2001
06-15-2011, 08:40 AM
Alternatively you could use your noodle and tweet the Production Manager of AC and get the following reply....

RT @AymarMtl @mrb2001 I don't know how people can judge a game that hasn't been released, but I can guarantee that the game stays true to its legacy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Now can we all calm down?

iN3krO
06-15-2011, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by misterB2001:
Alternatively you could use your noodle and tweet the Production Manager of AC and get the following reply....

RT @AymarMtl @mrb2001 I don't know how people can judge a game that hasn't been released, but I can guarantee that the game stays true to its legacy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

a game that stays true to AcB won't be a good game...

A game that is a mixture of Ac1 and Ac2 with those really good (almost no1) improvements from Ac2 to AcB would be a good game...

El_Sjietah
06-15-2011, 08:46 AM

No.

"staying true" implies that he thinks AC2 and ACB were true to their legacy as well. Something most of us don't agree with.

misterB2001
06-15-2011, 08:47 AM
I'm more than happy with the response I got http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

DavisP92
06-15-2011, 08:54 AM

- First of all let's not be rude.
- Second I'm sure he would say that cuz he's working on ten game and probably would say that about ACB but it doesn't really stay true to it's legacy.
- third ppl can judge a game b4 it's finished and that statement sounds illogical. Is he (u agreeing with him) that u can't tell that duke nukum or any other game that u knew u weren't going to buy was gonna duck b4 it came out. Ppl judge games before they are finished all the time
- and finally fourth, if the game does stay true to it's real legacy and ORIGIN then by all means I'll get the game (and love every second of it). But if become a POP game with a hidden balde I'll just rent it. Don't get me wrong, I want the game to be great and I wanna buy it.

iN3krO
06-15-2011, 08:54 AM
I'm more than happy with the response I got http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

which one? mine or sjietah?

misterB2001
06-15-2011, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by El_Sjietah:
No.

"staying true" implies that he thinks AC2 and ACB were true to their legacy as well. Something most of us don't agree with. MOST of us? err, no! Most people on here loved AC2 and though ACB was a pretty good game that had its flaws

iN3krO
06-15-2011, 09:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by El_Sjietah:
No.

"staying true" implies that he thinks AC2 and ACB were true to their legacy as well. Something most of us don't agree with. MOST of us? err, no! Most people on here loved AC2 and though ACB was a pretty good game that had its flaws </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure most of the players of Ac don't come to the forum say their opinion in the game... all my friends prefer Ac1 in top of Ac2 and AcB and they don't speak english so they don't use the forum o.o (talking about 7 or 8 guys)

DavidPV86
06-15-2011, 09:00 AM
I really enjoyed Il Duomo of Florence and Saint Mark Basilica in Venice, so as long as these "Prince of Persia" sequences are done within the seals missions, I will love it.

But, I agree with those that say they really liked the stealth and non scrypted assassinations of AC1, the problem, is that MOST of the people outside this forum did not, and ubisoft was left with no choice but to put more "action" into the franchise.

SupremeCaptain
06-15-2011, 09:04 AM

Of course he will say that. Do you think he is going to say something negative?

El_Sjietah
06-15-2011, 09:08 AM
MOST of us? err, no! Most people on here loved AC2 and though ACB was a pretty good game that had its flaws
So did I. They're just drifting further and further from what made AC1 good to me, which in turn makes their games less and less interesting for me.

I wouldn't be here if I didn't care about the series or thought it's a lost cause.

iN3krO
06-15-2011, 09:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by misterB2001:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by El_Sjietah:
No.

"staying true" implies that he thinks AC2 and ACB were true to their legacy as well. Something most of us don't agree with. MOST of us? err, no! Most people on here loved AC2 and though ACB was a pretty good game that had its flaws </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure most of the players of Ac don't come to the forum say their opinion in the game... all my friends prefer Ac1 in top of Ac2 and AcB and they don't speak english so they don't use the forum o.o (talking about 7 or 8 guys) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi again gerbil! Missed you buddy! You have friends, you say? Wow, would've never guessed. 7 or 8 of them too, no less! Pretty impressive, brah. And they don't speak English, huh? That's alright man, 'cause you don't either.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey dude why don't u try to shut the **** up and go annoy other guy? I have more friends than you maybe, also, i've said 7 or 8 cuz i'm not counting those ppl i've met online and cuz i won't talk about friends that don't like Ac at all o.o so STFU

and if i don't speak english could you imagine how my friends do it?

DavisP92
06-15-2011, 10:24 AM
So like I was saying AC1 is how they should make the main missions (unscripted) of course I want the other aspects to the other games: AC2's story and ACB gameplay and brotherhood. But they need to go back to the original concept of the game to make it great. And has anyone seen how they first were going to make AC1, the very first gameplay demo. They had gameplay in their that would have been great for the series but they took it out.

Protest u need to be banned

LaurenIsSoMosh
06-15-2011, 10:25 AM
This is irrelevant. They compared these linear sequences to the Leonardo missions. These missions were part of the main story imo, as they were part of destroying Cesare's miltary. Neat thing about side stories is that, no matter how closely they associate themselves with the main story, the main story doesn't have to associate itself with them. Destroying Cesare's military resources pertained to the main story just as much as destroying his allies the Followers of Romulus. While they're both important, they're both optional.
Making these missions more linear is a step in the wrobng direction. That's your opinion. Open world games, and games with multiple routes or multiple story endings, are not inherently better than highly linear games. And vice versa.

They are simply different. And there's absolutely nothing "wrong" with that.

Assassin's Creed is, at its core, an open world franchise. Assassin's Creed II introduced optional action and exploration sequences set in contained environments, but it also introduced a revamped story structure that allows players to roam around to their hearts' desire and tackle the game's missions when they felt like it. It also introduced myriad side quests to support exploration, one of them being the very thing that's under scrutiny right now.

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood introduced "exotic game moments," including firing a cannon at the siege of the Auditore Villa, flying a bomber, and driving a tank. Yes, they're linear. What else is linear? Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Mass Effect, Heavy Rain, and pretty much everything else that isn't SimCity.
No, that's not what they said. What they said was they are changing these missions and making them more scripted and linear. Once again, a step in the wrong direction. They were linear to begin with, so making them more linear cannot make them worse. You just think these sequences should be changed to be more open.
ut honestly, it appears this series is moving in the wrong direction. Saving my best for last.

This entire argument stems from something the creative director said that really didn't sit well with you guys. Assassin's Creed has never been anything but linear, which wasn't a problem until somebody talked about it without acting like linearity is the devil out to destroy our games.

Keep in mind, however, that the same creative director who wants to make linear action sequences "more linear" is the same creative director who is revamping the Borgia tower concept into a "more organic" experience, not only to increase the number of possible ways players can complete them, but also to increase the amount of times they can be played. What started out as a linear concept was revamped to be organic.

He's the same guy who wanted to replace the sewer fast travel network with the zipline system, turning a dull and completely non-game element into something that in and of itself is fun.

I cannot stress enough that I think you guys are making a big deal over nothing.

DavisP92
06-15-2011, 10:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blind2Society:
This is irrelevant. They compared these linear sequences to the Leonardo missions. These missions were part of the main story imo, as they were part of destroying Cesare's miltary. Neat thing about side stories is that, no matter how closely they associate themselves with the main story, the main story doesn't have to associate itself with them. Destroying Cesare's military resources pertained to the main story just as much as destroying his allies the Followers of Romulus. While they're both important, they're both optional.
Making these missions more linear is a step in the wrobng direction. That's your opinion. Open world games, and games with multiple routes or multiple story endings, are not inherently better than highly linear games. And vice versa.

They are simply different. And there's absolutely nothing "wrong" with that.

Assassin's Creed is, at its core, an open world franchise. Assassin's Creed II introduced optional action and exploration sequences set in contained environments, but it also introduced a revamped story structure that allows players to roam around to their hearts' desire and tackle the game's missions when they felt like it. It also introduced myriad side quests to support exploration, one of them being the very thing that's under scrutiny right now.

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood introduced "exotic game moments," including firing a cannon at the siege of the Auditore Villa, flying a bomber, and driving a tank. Yes, they're linear. What else is linear? Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Mass Effect, Heavy Rain, and pretty much everything else that isn't SimCity.
No, that's not what they said. What they said was they are changing these missions and making them more scripted and linear. Once again, a step in the wrong direction. They were linear to begin with, so making them more linear cannot make them worse. You just think these sequences should be changed to be more open.
ut honestly, it appears this series is moving in the wrong direction. Saving my best for last.

This entire argument stems from something the creative director said that really didn't sit well with you guys. Assassin's Creed has never been anything but linear, which wasn't a problem until somebody talked about it without acting like linearity is the devil out to destroy our games.

Keep in mind, however, that the same creative director who wants to make linear action sequences "more linear" is the same creative director who is revamping the Borgia tower concept into a "more organic" experience, not only to increase the number of possible ways players can complete them, but also to increase the amount of times they can be played. What started out as a linear concept was revamped to be organic.

He's the same guy who wanted to replace the sewer fast travel network with the zipline system, turning a dull and completely non-game element into something that in and of itself is fun.

I cannot stress enough that I think you guys are making a big deal over nothing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like how u expressed ur opinion, and its good that AC is being developed in new ways with each game. But Assassin's Creed is no longer Assassin's Creed anymore. U no longer have to follow all the tenets, and the developers (it appears) do not care. We all losing with each game parts of then original that made AC, AC. Most ppl got into AC because of the first game and it is those ppl (including myself) that are seeing the change in the franchise. It isn't a good change completely, yes we are getting some nice new features but we're losing the fundamental idea behind the original.

And yea the new developer has some good ideas, but it isn't a good idea to take away our freedom like they started to in ACB. Which is what AC was created with, the freedom to let the gamers deciede his or her own path to kill the target.

And I hope ur right about he's only referring to exotic gameplay or certain side missions and the main ones aren't scripted. That is what is causing ppl to have second guesses about the franchise

RzaRecta357
06-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Everyone here worries to much. This game will be amazing.

Not all the missions will be linear. So what if a few are? They'll be good and fun none the less.

The only thing we should worry about is some more of that cheesy combat with chain killing. Wish they would rid that. Super fromage. Not to mention the guards don't attack. Have health bars and what not. Terrible kill cams with no expressions.

Terrible combat since AC2.

PhiIs1618033
06-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by RzaRecta357:
Everyone here worries to much. This game will be amazing.

That's what I thought in the months leading up to Brotherhood.

DavisP92
06-15-2011, 01:19 PM
I can't say I don't like the emotionless ezio, I think it fits and I enjoy the indifferent look on his face