PDA

View Full Version : New York Time Reviews POPWW with a 4/10 ....

alimokrane
01-12-2005, 02:35 PM
Check it out : http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/06/technology/circuits/06game.html?pagewanted=1&ei=1&en=c7a110147eb4af55&ex=1106472723

they really hated the changes made to the game...

Vexous
01-12-2005, 04:28 PM
The guy that wrote that is a critic. He's doing his job. His job also seems to have nothing to do with video games though,"Wah! The games too hard on easy! Wah! Its not Arabian Nights anymore! Wah!"

That wasn't a review, it was crying. I'd have given him more credit if he at least tried to sound impartial, and not like a disgruntled SOT fan.

bitebug2003
01-12-2005, 04:33 PM
I had trouble finding the score with the link you posted.

Do we need to register there in order to view that? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Sea_Maiden
01-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Much as I hate to say it, I agreed with almost everything that guy said. A lot of these reviews say the same things: they miss the old Prince and the magical land he was in. That's how I feel, and it's sad, but at the same time I'm happy I'm not alone, and that these reviews will let Ubi know that SoT is sorely missed.

"The Sands of Time was critically lauded, but its disappointing sales inspired Ubisoft to make a sequel that threw out all of the beauty and charm and added a lot more fighting."

I'm so frustrated that SoT didn't sell too well! And I know that in the end it's all about the sales, and I understand the whole situation, but I'm still bummed.

Am I the only one who didn't mind the battles in SoT? I thought they were fun! How those guys that swung those chains around (probably eunuchs) squealed like little pigs when you sliced them, and how funny it was to see those big dumb guys hit each other on accident. Once I got the hang of wall attacks, the battles were fun fun fun until Ubi took my T-bird away!

T1redoslop
01-12-2005, 05:42 PM
Hey guys, some critic in the Youthink magazine gave it 90/100!
Wow! I still don't care!

darkprince_666
01-13-2005, 02:40 AM
That guy that wrote that critics is not even a gamer(I think).Why does he said that the game is too hard on easy?Well the answer is very simple.It's because he sucks!The game is easy,man.Except for those who is not a gamer and the game is very very very cool.I have only one thing that I want to say about this game.There are too many bugs!

Dafnie
01-13-2005, 03:30 AM
I think all of you guys are right! Vexous yeah he is just doing his job, and when you miss and compared to SoT i also think WW would deserve 4. Sea Maiden yeah i loved those fights too, they weren't really that bad, allthough the battles from WW was better. Darkprince yeah how on earth can he think that WW is difficult at easy? He can't be a hardcore gamer (which should be those who reviews games)

TeeAlk
01-13-2005, 04:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sea_Maiden:
I'm so frustrated that SoT didn't sell too well! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's how I feel about "American McGee's Alice". http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif They (McGee's publisher, I don't know the name) canceled "Oz" (McGee's version of "The Wizard of Oz"). And I cannot see his "Grimm" in the nearest future. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Am I the only one who didn't mind the battles in SoT? I thought they were fun! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You're right. But I have to admit that I love the new moves in WW. Don't get me wrong. Sometimes I wish I could have them in SOT too. Not the head cuts and the blood. Just the moves.

darkprince_666
01-13-2005, 06:06 AM
Thats right!Someone who reviews game must be a hardcore gamer,like me!Hahahahahaha,just kidding. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

HystericFreak
01-13-2005, 06:36 AM
I'm glad there are a few reviewers that have similar opinions to me and a few others. It's the reviews that Ubi will use for feedback I'm assuming...

Tary
01-13-2005, 09:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HystericFreak:
I'm glad there are a few reviewers that have similar opinions to me and a few others. It's the reviews that Ubi will use for feedback I'm assuming... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not it's probably not. They will probably create another game just like warrior within with the same dark nasty theme and the same angry, hateful, bitter prince. There not trying to create art anymore. It's all about the sales now.

Crouching.Tiger
01-13-2005, 11:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tary:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HystericFreak:
I'm glad there are a few reviewers that have similar opinions to me and a few others. It's the reviews that Ubi will use for feedback I'm assuming... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not it's probably not. They will probably create another game just like warrior within with the same dark nasty theme and the same angry, hateful, bitter prince. There not trying to create art anymore. It's all about the sales now. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think (and hope) Ubisoft will understand that the biggest mistake they did with WW was to put all this "mature" stuff and "dark" music in. almost every review I have read says this, so I think Ubi will think over everything if there will be a PoP 3.
the new fighting system was not bad and pretty fun to play around with, but the fights in SoT actually looked nicer and cooler. like with the prince doing swirling, cool moves when you just pressed the attack button. I would like to see something like the fighting system of SoT but with more combos in PoP 3. would be nice if they did a new fighting system in every game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
and I agree with Tary. SoT was an wonderful, interactive piece of art. WW is a piece of art too, done with talent and trying to impress but not nice to look at http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

mr._fahRENheit
01-13-2005, 11:30 AM
The battles in SoT were fun, but rather mindless. I really don't mind some of the increase in difficulty in WW regarding battle, it keeps you on your toes more.. I always had to resist the urge to laugh how most of the baddies in SoT walked idly by whilst I absorbed their comrades into my dagger, THEN decided to come after me again.

I do agree with some of the article, though it seems to be more of a broad spectrum of sequels rather than a single focus on WW. Don't get me wrong, the concept art for WW is stunning, and the environments, though grungy, are still hand-crafted and beautiful. But the dankness and oppression is so suffocating that you can't ENJOY the experience because you're too busy hating everything that's going on. If it's not Prince's foul mood, it's wailing enemies or confusing timeline shenanigans. I think reviewers tend to exaggerate the amount of heavy metal music in the game; sure, there's SOME, and the library/prison areas have much more of it, but for the mostpart the only guitar bits happen during battles.

Ubi took a chance with the game and experimented in a new direction. If they had stuck with the SoT theme I'm sure reviewers would be criticizing them for sticking with a safety net. Can't please everybody. I just hope Prince goes BACK to Persia and has adventures with more charm.