PDA

View Full Version : Engine Help

knarf1981
02-10-2005, 06:30 PM
I like playing on the hardest difficulty becasue i hate arcade type simulators....but could some one please give me a breif and simple tutorial on how to maximize the performance of the plane.
Basically
1. What does the mixture do and how do ya use it to the best effect
2. What does prop pitch do and how do ya use it
3. How do ya use radiators and cowl flaps.
any other tips on maximizing the performance of the plane would be appreciated.
thanks

knarf1981
02-10-2005, 06:30 PM
I like playing on the hardest difficulty becasue i hate arcade type simulators....but could some one please give me a breif and simple tutorial on how to maximize the performance of the plane.
Basically
1. What does the mixture do and how do ya use it to the best effect
2. What does prop pitch do and how do ya use it
3. How do ya use radiators and cowl flaps.
any other tips on maximizing the performance of the plane would be appreciated.
thanks

Yimmy
02-10-2005, 06:39 PM
On take off 120% mixture gives some extra power.
The higher you go, the less the mixture. Yoou only really have to change it if the engine starts sounding bad.

Just open the radiator when you start overheating and reduce speed until its back to normal, then to avoid more overheating you can leave the settings to 2 etc...

I ignor prop pitch....

Go to a higher supercharger setting at altitude, 3000m + and the likes....

tralkpha
02-10-2005, 08:34 PM
1 mixture adjusts the volume of fuel going into the engine.
as you climb the volume of air entering the engine decreases and the mixture must also be decreased to prevent spark plug fouling and general poor performance

2 prop pitch controls the angle of attack of your propeller blades and would easily compared to a transmission in a car
as far as i know there are 2 different types of adjustable pitch propellers in il-2
constant speed propellers and aeromechanical screws.

constant speed propellers use oil pressure to controll the propeller pitch in order to maintain a constant engine rpm.
as your airspeed changes the system automatically adjusts the propeller pitch to maintain your selected engine rpm.
a bullet to the spinner of such equipped aircraft can cause the system to leak oil, fail to controll the propeller, and allow the engine to exceed your selected rpm

the aeromechanical screw (109 and 110) does not attempt to keep a steady rpm and is by default controlled automatically
you can get a little more performance out of them by switching to manual and keeping the rpm in the combat rpm range (which varies depending which one you are flying and be prepared to burn many engines before you get the hang of it)

the 190s had a fully automated system i believe but then again i hardly fly them so someone with expertise would have to comment on it

3 radiators and cowl flaps are used to prevent or cure overheating
the drawback is that they increase drag and slow your aircraft somewhat

whiteladder
02-11-2005, 05:59 AM
http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/fb_cem.htm

Have a look at this and the other tutorials, pretty much got it all.

regards Mark

JunkoIfurita
02-11-2005, 08:52 AM
Good link, Whiteladder.

I was going to yabber on about using the prop pitch to keep your engine cool during the flight (so you can push it that bit further come dogfight territory before overheat).

But that tutorial has all this and more *bookmarks*

----