PDA

View Full Version : ***SPOILER*** End fight poll

Fenro
12-04-2009, 06:50 AM
So which one do you prefear?

***SPOILER***
(answer containing Spoils for both AC1&2)

In my opinion the fight against Al Mualim was far supperrior, the fight against the spaniard wasnt that interesting, it was pretty much just a regular fight against a spear archetype that couldnt be dissarmed, sure it was interesting to see ezio using the ability to copy himself like al mualim did, but it just wasnt enough to save the fight.. there just wasnt that special feeling of awe.

But for AC2 defence i must say that the last stage was very interesting more supperior than the one in AC1 even though it was fun to penetrate your own stronghold.

JudgeQwerty
12-04-2009, 06:59 AM
Al Mualim had brainwashed ninjas, army of illusions, and the ability to teleport. Also, the dialogue was simply more dramatic and interesting. The Spaniard is pure comic book villainy, which was a nice contrast to the first game, but Al Mualim was just better fleshed out. You KNEW this guy, you thought knew his goals and methods, and then suddenly the game turns you on your head.

JoeNoSay
12-04-2009, 08:16 AM
Although I did find fighting Al-Mualim more fulfilling than Rodrigo Borgia, I'm going to have to go with the Borgia fight. I'm basing this on the fact that I was able to have a fist fight with the pope in Rome. Man, this scenario never would have made it into a game in1988 lol.

Neo_Age
12-04-2009, 09:05 AM
My feelings in regards to the boss battle of AC2 is that the Spaniard had a lot of arrogance in regards to Ezio where as Al Mualim fully knew and understood Altair's physical abilities and did not under estimate them (hence his use of the POE instead of simple weaponry).

Lets break it down.

In AC1 we have a fight against Master and Student, the best student in fact (if we are to believe Al Mualim's praise of Altair was genuine). Al Mualim either trained or oversaw Altair's training since he was a boy. He knew every move Altair could do and decided that he could not best Altair without the POE, hence why even when he faces Altair himself he uses the multiple clones of himself and cloaking effect to his advantage.

In AC2 on the other hand we have a Master Assassin vs the primary villain. Break down the Spaniard and we see a man of thought, not action (let alone knowledge of how to use a sword) and one that is quite arrogant, believing himself to be superior to that of others (watch closely how he interacts with others through out the game).

Lets also look at Ezio. In contrast to his ancestor Altair, who killed his Master because Al Mualim had betrayed the creed, Ezio is on a path of revenge. Thoughout the game (particularly in the Pazzi arc) we see that he is dealing with the fact that these are the people that killed three members of his family. His first two kills are plainly full of rage and it isnít until his Uncle steps in that he starts to cool down but continues to pursue them in the name of revenge. Towards the end Ezio is questioning if its all worth it and just when he has the last mans life in his hands realizes that killing him wont bring his family back.

In short, the final battle is basically Ezio working out the final bits of his wrestle with his desire for revenge and coming to terms with the fact that nothing he does will bring his family back to him which is why he simply walks away. Granted it may not be the most satisfying final boss battle but when you finally understand it I think you get a sense of why it boiled down to a fist fight, let alone the fact that the Spaniard was a real pope who couldnít be killed in a game that it historical fiction (what did you expect, cut the old pope up and that he some how made a full recovery?)

JudgeQwerty
12-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Neo_Age, an axcellent comparison, but you left out the most obvious and frankly relevent similiarity. The main reason why Al Mualim relies on trickery is the same reason why the merciful Ezio decides to fight the Spaniard unarmed...

They're both so goshdarn OLD!! Is Al Mualim still capable of free running? Has Rodrigo ever even had the physique for it? They're fine swordsmen, but Robert de Sable in peak shape, they are not.

Fenro
12-04-2009, 09:26 AM
(what did you expect, cut the old pope up and that he some how made a full recovery?)

You are missing the point, even though the fight could have been alot more interesting and much more of a challenge they decided to go with the facts that didnt feel as satisfying.

for first of all the apple negleting the staffs power. it took out alot of possible interesting effects from the fight. the apple could have given partial protection from the staff but still not render it useles giving us a more interesting fight with special powers like the ones we saw in al mualim vs. altair fight.

i have no grudge against the fisst fight part, that was good and a perfect ending on the relationship thease 2 characters had against each other, but the fight before could have been more interesting

Neo_Age
12-04-2009, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by JudgeQwerty:
Neo_Age, an axcellent comparison, but you left out the most obvious and frankly relevent similiarity. The main reason why Al Mualim relies on trickery is the same reason why the merciful Ezio decides to fight the Spaniard unarmed...

They're both so goshdarn OLD!! Is Al Mualim still capable of free running? Has Rodrigo ever even had the physique for it? They're fine swordsmen, but Robert de Sable in peak shape, they are not.

I dont think Ezio was being Merciful when he fought the Spaniard unarmed (though I wouldnt rule it out, just saying its unlikely). To me it felt like he wanted to basicly make him feel physically what he felt emotionally, ie the "this is for my father *pow!* this is for my littler brother *bam!*" but at the end realized the truth.

I didnt want to bring up age as that can be rather deceptive. I know people who are in their 50's and could easily throw a 20 something around (with both being physically fit).

@ Fenro. I see where you are coming from but let me ask you this. Beyond the few abilities we saw displayed, do you think Ezio would have had the time to master the POE enough to control it to stop short of killing the Spaniard? Remember this is a historical fiction game. Ubisoft has taken a time period with historical figures and says "during this time, this happened". When they took the Spaniard and made him an actual historical figure, they had to make sure any interaction between him and the player was fatal for that character.

Fenro
12-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Neo_Age:
@ Fenro. I see where you are coming from but let me ask you this. Beyond the few abilities we saw displayed, do you think Ezio would have had the time to master the POE enough to control it to stop short of killing the Spaniard? Remember this is a historical fiction game. Ubisoft has taken a time period with historical figures and says "during this time, this happened". When they took the Spaniard and made him an actual historical figure, they had to make sure any interaction between him and the player was fatal for that character.

They could have very-well ended the fight the way it stoped anyways you know with the spaniard taking the apple and stabing ezio, would there have been other skills in the fight or not.