PDA

View Full Version : Battleground Europe (aka WW2OL)

redhornet07
01-04-2009, 10:10 PM
So what's the general impression of this game? I've been seriously considering a subscription. I'm very intrigued by the fact that it's a mmorpg and that there is combined arms and an actual strategic goal to work toward. I've heard many people say it's "air quake" and many others say they prefer it to IL2. Anyone tried it, play it, etc.? Let me hear all intelligent opinions please.

I_KG100_Prien
01-04-2009, 11:40 PM
I've played it off and on for about 4 years.

The graphics are a bit dated. If you don't mind playing a game that doesn't have the latest in whizz bang 3-D graphics then that shouldn't be a problem. They are slowly making improvements to the environment but Cornered Rat Software is a small company- so it's taking some time.

On to the game play itself:

It has a learning curve and requires some patience. It's not a spawn in and dive into the fray like Call of Duty (or insert fast paced FPS here). You are going to die a lot when you first start out- and often you won't even know where it came from. Try to get into a squad as soon as you can. Use the help channel and don't be afraid to ask questions. As far as squads go- If you are "squadless" when you pick a persona you'll get a window with Squad Recruitment adverts for squads looking for people.. If you pick on and hit "Join" it will place you in that squad and you can start talking to them.

The ground war is (IMO) the best place to start to get familiarized with how the game operates. It's usually the quickest to find the action and get introduced to the game play. One thing I will mention though- The ground war heavily favors infantry and anti-tank weapons due to the way the terrain is designed. There are a LOT of places for soldiers and ATG's to hide that are very hard to spot from a tank.

I don't have much experience with the Naval side of the game- As it sadly plays a very small role in the overall campaign process. The river patrol boats are easy targets due to the crew being exposed. One infantryman can ruin a riverine crafts day.

Destroyer v Destroyer combat can be a lot of fun but it is challenging. Early in your career the only way you'll get into a destroyer (due to rank restrictions) is if you multi crew with someone.. But that is a lot of fun if you can find a captain willing to take you on.

The Air War:

First of all.. If you are used to IL2 you may not like the air combat aspect of WW2OL. The flight models aren't as good. You cannot shut off the icons (little circles around planes). There isn't a huge selection of Air Craft. If you fly for the French outside of the D.520, all the planes are "Lend Lease". Hawk 75, P-40, P-39, P-38, and DB-7 (Havoc).

Other aircraft include Hurricanes, Spits, Blenheims, C-47's, Ju-52's, Bf109's, Bf110's, Stuka, HE111, and FW190.

The "air quake" term from that game stems from the fact that the majority of the air combat happens on the deck.. In what often looks like unorganized yank and bank fur balls. You'll see 5 spitfires chasing a lone 109. You'll see 5 109's chasing a lone Spitfire. There aren't that many people who play the high altitude game at all. So if you get no enjoyment out of playing in a flock of mud hens...

This next part could be viewed as subjective and of course entirely matter of opinion.. But the Allied Planes (in that game) are easier to fly than the Axis ones. They are much friendlier to the yank and bank style of fighting.. Whereas the Axis ones aren't so good for it. This makes it so a lot more people fly Allied than they do Axis. (gamers, go figure). Flying Axis can be very frustrating because a majority of the time.. Allies have Air Superiority.

My personal opinion on the air combat aspect of the game is that it sucks- but that is because like others here.. I've been spoiled with IL2. I don't touch the air combat very often.. Unless it's a suicide run in a Stuka to try to take out some tanks that have an Army Base locked down. (Say that because if that is going on the Allied Air Zerg TM is there too)

My suggestion is if you want to give it a shot- do so. It's best to try it out for yourself and form your own opinion of the game.

If you decide to give it a shot, I play on the Axis side with the 91st Sturmbatallion and my game handle is Gereke. Lots of good folks play on the axis side (and some tools, but that is internet gaming for you).

Or, if Axis isn't your cup of tea and you want to play Allied- there are a lot of good folks over there that will certainly help out a "Greentag".

Blood_Splat
01-05-2009, 12:36 AM
Flying in il2 and landing the 109 for me was an achievement on its own at one time. I remember how easy it was to put down the 109 in WWII online. It felt like I didn't even have to earn my wings to even fly this thing.

redhornet07
01-05-2009, 09:35 AM
I_KG100_Prien, thank you very much, your response is exactly what I was looking for. After looking at countless Youtube videos of ww2ol air combat, I kinda figured the flight model was not as robust as IL2. I'm still very intrigued by the fact that almost all units in the game are controlled by a person, which makes for interesting game play.

Please keep the responses coming folks!

Aaron_GT
01-05-2009, 01:54 PM
It was originally almost entirely ground based and it was at the time of release excellent for tank and infantry warfare. The graphics were deliberately a bit primitive to get over limitations of the number of player objects that could be displayed and to cope with long view distances. (Warbirds had a 32 limit so in big furballs planes would blink in and out on the edges). Back in 2001 Operation Flashpoint was about the maximum you could get graphically and would probably have brought a PC to its knees with a couple of dozen players visible. Battlefield 1942, etc concentrate on much shorter ranges.

In WW2OL if you have tanks/MGs/AT guns involved then combats at 2 miles apart is possible. Getting shot by a lucky rifle shot pr tank MG burst at a mile isn't impossible.

Given that PCs are more powerful it would be nice if a better graphics engine could be licensed, but it would mean a lot of testing and effort with no short term gain for Cornered Rat but who knows what is planned.

Hoatee
01-05-2009, 02:27 PM
WWIIonline has a ranking system, too. So that although the FW190/Spit 9, for example, is available in the game, a certain number of points earning your way up the ranks are required before 'permission' is granted to actually fly the plane.

squirrel21
01-05-2009, 03:30 PM
Funny I saw this thread. I actually am leaving WWIIOL to spend more time in IL-2. I bought the original IL-2 the day it came out and have pre-ordered every single expansion pack, what not... But I got sucked up into WWIIOL a few months after the original IL-2 came out and for the most part only played the offline IL-2.

WWIIOL is a great game. Yes, agreed 100% with the other replies in this thread that the air war is going to be disappointing coming from IL-2.

There is even a radar system now that shows what grid enemy planes are in (not the exact locations) but I dislike it. It somewhat ruins being able to B&Z the enemy, so do the big red icon circles around enemy planes.

Another annoying thing is that you can't kill ground units by level bombing above about 3k. It's debatable but there are issues with what units on the ground are visible to your machine so medium or high level bombing is pointless.

Inspite of the problems and all its still a fantastic game. The only reason I am leaving is that after 7 years of playing several nights a week its just gotten to be the "same old" thing.

Im in an allied squad if thats what you want to play. Lafayette Federation - look us up in game or webpage. I also fly axis as well.

Definitley check out the game its awesome for a new person I would imagine.

cheers

Xiolablu3
01-05-2009, 03:41 PM
WWWOL is very good fun.

Its not better than IL2, but different. The flying is obviously not as refined.

I think there is a free 2 week trial if you want to try the game for a bit. I did the 2 week trial and had a good time, I just flew, didnt do any infantry stuff.

Very different to IL2, feels less realistic, but the game is great. Having a full battlefield is fantastic.

I recommend everyone to try the free 2 week trial. Try and start it whn the new campaign starts so that you can build up your score and when you begin you can use the good stuff.

If you start the trial half way through the campaign, then everyone else will be flying advanced planes, and you will be stuck with no experience flying a Hurricane mk1 vs FW190's or something similar. Not good.

If you start your trial at the beginnning of the campaign there will only be 109E's vs your Hurri mk1 and you can unlock some more planes before the enemy gets better stuff as the campaign moves on through the war.

You need experience to unlock planes like the SPitfire V, 109F4, FW190, SPit IX etc, but these arent available to anyone at the start of the war/campaign, so you will find it easier.

squirrel21
01-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
I recommend everyone to try the free 2 week trial. Try and start it whn the new campaign starts so that you can build up your score and when you begin you can use the good stuff.

If you start the trial half way through the campaign, then everyone else will be flying advanced planes, and you will be stuck with no experience flying a Hurricane mk1 vs FW190's or something similar. Not good.

Yes this is spot on information and good to know for any of you wanting to try the 2 week trial.

K_Freddie
01-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by redhornet07:
"air quake"
A simple intelligent answer is in the above quote... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Copperhead311th
01-05-2009, 08:21 PM
i looked at it and thougth it was intersting....
i like the concept. But there was one glaring historical omission. No US. we did participate ya know. So...without the US as part of the allies....doesn't really hold my intrest much.

Airmail109
01-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Copperhead311th:
i like the concept. But there was one glaring historical omission. No US. we did participate ya know. So...without the US as part of the allies....doesn't really hold my intrest much.

Just not in 1940

Aaron_GT
01-06-2009, 01:04 AM
But there was one glaring historical omission. No US. we did participate ya know

The idea was it would start with the fall of France then move on to later theatres but has become a Fall of France with later equipment hodge-podge. There are lots of items of US equipment being used. Lots of countries are not represented (Japan, USSR, Italy, etc, etc) so it's not like the USA is being singled out, just the game hasn't progressed beyond its starting point into rolling theatres.

No harm in trying the 2 week trial to see if you like it.

Copperhead311th
01-06-2009, 03:51 PM
didn't realize it was 1940. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Xiolablu3
01-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Yeah, the campaign starts in 1940 with the German invasion of France Hurricane's vs Me110's, SPit Mk1s vs 109Es, Panzer 2's and 3's vs Matilda II's, HAwk 81's vs Stukas.

The US equipment is actually represented, just usually by the French. Hawks, Shermans, P38's etc.

The latest things get is late '42, early 43. The late model planes are the FW190A4, SpitfireIX, P38 etc. SO they never actually get to June 1944 when the US entered the land battle in France.

The cureent scenario is actually a 'what-if' the French and British didnt get pounded back to Dunkirk and the war actually progressed on the ground.

COpperhead start an Eagle Squadron in the RAF http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

An Italy or Desert scenario with US/UK/Can/Aus/NZ vs German/Italians/Hunagarians/ROmanians would be pretty aweseome.

HOwever I guess possibly Air POwer would reign too much as there is not enough cover in the Desert. A tank would be much more visible. In the current game they at least have a chance to hide in trees.

Perhaps Italy with the same teams?

I_KG100_Prien
01-06-2009, 04:22 PM
So, being set in 1940, there is no glaring historical omission.

It was always the intention of CRS to start bringing in all of the Major Players in WW2- However the game had a VERY rocky start, was plagued with problems and it never really took off like the developers hoped it would.

So they did the only thing they could do, which was stay small and expand as best they could. The game has come a long way since it first "hit the street"... Like I mentioned in my first post in the thread referencing the aircraft that there is a fair bit of American Iron in the game. Someone else mentioned the Sherman Tank that is available to use in later Tiers of the Campaign.

M4A2, M4A3 S76, and the M-10 Wolverine (based on the Sherman) to be exact. Also have the M5 Stuart. They just don't have "White Stars" on them. They have French "Roundels". They represent lend-lease equipment being introduced as the campaign advances. This is something they did to give a "advancement" feel to the "War".

Quite frankly I'm glad the game has not expanded to represent every theater of the war- The game doesn't have a HUGE player base so there would be portions of it that were ghost towns. As it is now, the BEF gets a lot less action than the French.. Because the Axis really like to push the south hard during campaigns.

If the game had Tens of Thousands of people playing then it could work.. But right now it would be horrible. Even now if you aren't on during one of the "peak" times it can be hard to find a tooth-and-nails fight. Doesn't mean the game isn't fun.. Because it is.

You just have to realize that it is a small "niche" game. Much like this Flight Sim is. It's too complicated to keep the attention of people who want to instantly spawn in and "ZOMGWTFPWN" . If you appreciate a somewhat complex game that take things beyond just the soldier in the field to tactical decisions from High Command (also players)- then it is something you can have fun with.

Nothing better can be said about trying the 2 week trial. It's free. Doesn't cost you a dime. If you don't like it you cancel your account. Nothing chanced is nothing gained.

For the lazy:

http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/

http://wiki.wwiionline.com/index.php/Play_Guide

http://wiki.wwiionline.com/index.php/Main_Page

I'd link the forums but you have to have an active subscription to view/post.

Aaron_GT
01-06-2009, 05:07 PM
Quite frankly I'm glad the game has not expanded to represent every theater of the war- The game doesn't have a HUGE player base so there would be portions of it that were ghost towns. As it is now, the BEF gets a lot less action than the French.. Because the Axis really like to push the south hard during campaigns.

I think what they would have to do is rotate through maps if they wanted to have multiple theatres changing each month.

#1, 1940 with France, UK, Germany
#2, 1941, North Africa with UK, Italy, Germany
#3, 1943 in the USSR with Germans and Russians
#4, 1944 in Western Europe with Germany, USA, UK
#5, 1945 in the Far East - UK, USA, Japan

Or something like that. Lots of extra work. Not sure where you'd set 1942 that would be balanced, though, that wouldn't be a repeat or primarily naval.

If the game had Tens of Thousands of people playing then it could work..

That's a problem with all games apart from World of Warcraft I think. You'd need all the players for WW2OL, WB3, AH, and IL2 together. It's a shame those four can't combine forces and thus player numbers. We've got the air component covered here http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I_KG100_Prien
01-06-2009, 05:47 PM
That's a problem with all games apart from World of Warcraft I think. You'd need all the players for WW2OL, WB3, AH, and IL2 together. It's a shame those four can't combine forces and thus player numbers. We've got the air component covered here

Too true Aaron. Would be nice to see those kinds of numbers in the game.

They are slowly working towards expanding the game but it's one step at a time I think. They came a long way alone with adding the later equipment like the Sherman, PZIVG, STUG IIIG, and Tiger.

There are talks floating around that they plan on adding the Firefly and Panther but not real soon yet.. They've got some earlier vehicles in the works to release and are being tight lipped about it. They are trying to flesh out the early campaign equipment a bit more before they start adding more "late war uber gear".

A rotating Theater Set would be nice indeed, but I think they are pooling the resources they have with what they've already got on the plate. It is a nice thought though, mebbe someday.

squirrel21
01-06-2009, 06:26 PM
FWIW, the last 6 months or so they have been working on a China release version of WWIIOL. I think they are very close to completing this and then will get back to working on adding new stuff to the game.

At least according to their updates, the next thing they are going to do is update all the graphics and 3d models. They have been working on updating their game engine to Unity 2. Last year they put some enhancements in and called it Unity 1.5

Part of Unity 2 is going to allow them to use more polys in the 3d models and increase LOD, as well as better textures for the vehicles.

Before they worked on the Unity 2, they spent what seemed like years on TOEs and Brigade spawning. They completely overhauled the tactical portion of the game. It took a long time and not much was added to the game as far as equipment goes.

The developers say when Unity 2 is finished that it will be easier for them to create new terrain and units. So maybe, 2010 there might be a new theatre of operations. Who knows? It's pure speculation. I played since the first year the game came out... Always hoping for a new theatre of operations.

I am not holding my breath or anything but really the game has come a long way and in the next year I think will see a lot of positive features added to the game once Unity 2 is completed.

cheers

Kurfurst__
01-07-2009, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by Copperhead311th:

As others have noted, basically later in the game the French get American gear as new weapons, hence the dubbing pf them as the 'Framericans'.

The game concept works that each side has factories, and after these accumlate a number of production points, the side advances to the next Tier, which opens up possibility to reasearch new equipment, increase production of existing equipment (ie. more Matildas being around), or withdraw older equipment from production. The priorities are decided by a high ranking player controlled side HQ. Tier 0 is historical 1940 equipment, Tier 1 roughly corresponds to late 1940/early 1941 and so on, but the equipment is more or less balanced with some disregard of historical time frames, and for playability ie. the Framericans have the 76mm Sherman and M10 Wolverine in the later Tiers to combat the Tiger and later long barreled PzIVs. But in general it more or less corresponds to the historical timeframe.

Development and production however can slowed down and even stopped by destroying the factories (six for each side) deep in the enemy Hinterland by strategic bombing, naval bombardment etc. or eventually capturing them. Similiarly, bridges can be destroyed and rebuilt, and there are plans to include visible supply lines (trucks and trains) which can be then subjects to interdiction by air. The basics are very good as right now, and I am holding my breath for Unity 2 which would give the sim a much needed facelift.

dooomil2
01-07-2009, 12:51 PM
i too am coming over to IL2 from 7+ years in wwiiol - mostly to capture something "new" as others imply.

WWIIOL is great fun - make no mistake. There is a sense of immersion and purpose in the game that I do not find anywhere else. That said, the air game certainly can degenerate into "airquake" on the deck... but only if YOU let it. To be honest, many of the best pilots in wiiol will not be found on the deck so if you like challenging duels, then fly high - i guarantee you will find a good fight. I do - and have been for 7 years. If you want to smack around some noobs - hit the deck... be wary of your plane limitations however.

ground support is amazingly fun - nothing like supporting an actual defense/offensive assault when it is really needed. The thanks that come back from ground players pinned by an M10 or Stuart when I take him out after lifting 25km awway in response to pleas on chat. Satisfying.
Definately play with a good air squad and the teamwork will have you hooked.

I am coming to IL2 to play coop mulitplayer campaigns in full realism. I stay in WWIIOL for community and to support the CRS vision.

my 2c

Xiolablu3
01-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by dooomil2:
i too am coming over to IL2 from 7+ years in wwiiol - mostly to capture something "new" as others imply.

WWIIOL is great fun - make no mistake. There is a sense of immersion and purpose in the game that I do not find anywhere else. That said, the air game certainly can degenerate into "airquake" on the deck... but only if YOU let it. To be honest, many of the best pilots in wiiol will not be found on the deck so if you like challenging duels, then fly high - i guarantee you will find a good fight. I do - and have been for 7 years. If you want to smack around some noobs - hit the deck... be wary of your plane limitations however.

ground support is amazingly fun - nothing like supporting an actual defense/offensive assault when it is really needed. The thanks that come back from ground players pinned by an M10 or Stuart when I take him out after lifting 25km awway in response to pleas on chat. Satisfying.
Definately play with a good air squad and the teamwork will have you hooked.

I am coming to IL2 to play coop mulitplayer campaigns in full realism. I stay in WWIIOL for community and to support the CRS vision.

my 2c

From my 2 week trial, this is a very good explanation of the game WW2OL http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif thanks mate...

redhornet07
01-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Thanks again for all the responsed guys, really helpful and informative!

I did however read a rumor that there is no more rudder control on the planes in ww2ol?!?! Could that be true, if so it seems very silly, how could you properly control a plane without rudder?

I_KG100_Prien
01-08-2009, 02:23 AM
Rudders worked just fine for me the other day.. I'd say that one is full of smelly stuff.