PDA

View Full Version : Carrier Ops ?

J_Weaver
01-25-2005, 08:20 PM
I've got a simple question. At what speed did USN and RN carriers launch aircraft at during WWII?

tedinaz
01-25-2005, 08:33 PM
as fast as they could...20knots + prevailing wind at least, more if the task force or fuel situations allowed

BSS_Vidar
01-25-2005, 08:57 PM
Well, it also depended on wind. If they had a good strong wind, they didn't need to go as fast. But on occation, in a calm environment, WWII carriers were capable of generating what is called "wing over the deck."

If launches had to be made in a hurry, the carrier would launch at any direction irregardless of wind direction. They cranked up the screws and generated relitive-wind over the deck.

VF15_Muto
01-25-2005, 09:32 PM
Absolute minimum for launch operations was a NWOD (Net Wind Over the Deck = carrier speed + wind speed) of 30 knots. Absolute minimum for recovery was a NWOD of 25 knots.

Ideal for launch was 40-45 knots, and for recovery -- 35 knots.

S~!
VF15_Muto

J_Weaver
01-25-2005, 10:18 PM
Ah...thanks. I've been messing around in the FMB and setting carriers speeds to 40kph. It looks like I could add about another 20kph. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

VF15_Muto
01-25-2005, 10:30 PM
Yes, and if you want to add an extra dose of realism, do not have the carrier head directly into the wind ... early in the war the U.S. Navy adopted the m.o. of steering the carrier so the wind was coming off the port bow at a 5-10 degree angle, which helped counter the four torque factors that rolled the aircraft down and to port after leaving the deck ... so wind from slightly to port would offer more lift, a straighter takeoff and thus safer launch ops. Rudder trim, of course, was also wisely applied for carrier takeoffs for the same reason.

S~!
Muto

Jungmann
01-25-2005, 11:00 PM
Good thread. And right about severe rudder trim. I once saw footage of a F4U that was launched off the starboard cat of an Essex class without it. The Corsair left the cat, pitched up, snaprolled right and went straight into the drink.

Cheers,