PDA

View Full Version : after all: My FM-summary between FB/AEP and PF so far

Motorsound
11-13-2004, 03:46 AM
Hi people!
I know, this is a never ending discussion, but ... why not?

I don't fly very often in HL. One or twice a week for a few hours with full settings.

Yesterday I flew first with a Me109 for two hours. "Oh," I thougt "very difficult to fly, very challenging. Flaps down and up." Than I went to a pacific-server and flew the KI-83. "Oh," I recogniced "that's like Arcade in comparison.". And I mean it seriously!

So I asked myself:
Is the FM of few/much aeroplanes of FB/AEP too hard, too difficult? Or is the FM of few/much aeroplanes of PF too soft, too easy.
Or is it closely correct on both sides?
I can't answer it!!!

Let me say:
I have this impression after flying different planes of FB/AEP and PF, and it is more a fact for me:
there are fundamental differences in few/much FM between FB/AEP and PF. That some U.S.- and jap.- fighters are easier to fly because of carrier-features, which they needed, is logical. But such big differences ... ... I have doubts.

And it's exciting for me to see, which changes with the view to more correct FM's Oleg will do in the patch.

Motorsound
11-13-2004, 03:46 AM
Hi people!
I know, this is a never ending discussion, but ... why not?

I don't fly very often in HL. One or twice a week for a few hours with full settings.

Yesterday I flew first with a Me109 for two hours. "Oh," I thougt "very difficult to fly, very challenging. Flaps down and up." Than I went to a pacific-server and flew the KI-83. "Oh," I recogniced "that's like Arcade in comparison.". And I mean it seriously!

So I asked myself:
Is the FM of few/much aeroplanes of FB/AEP too hard, too difficult? Or is the FM of few/much aeroplanes of PF too soft, too easy.
Or is it closely correct on both sides?
I can't answer it!!!

Let me say:
I have this impression after flying different planes of FB/AEP and PF, and it is more a fact for me:
there are fundamental differences in few/much FM between FB/AEP and PF. That some U.S.- and jap.- fighters are easier to fly because of carrier-features, which they needed, is logical. But such big differences ... ... I have doubts.

And it's exciting for me to see, which changes with the view to more correct FM's Oleg will do in the patch.

Tully__
11-13-2004, 03:56 AM
I think you're over stating the difference. I've been flying a MiG3-ud offline since installing PF and yes, it's hard, prone to stalls and such, but it also give plenty of warning.

Likewise I've flown the F4-F and F4-U quite a few times and despite what others are saying they can be stalled and do require the pilot to fly to the strengths of their aircraft and the weaknesses of their opponents to be succesful. If you're finding them easy, they must suit your flying style.

BlitzPig_DDT
11-13-2004, 10:16 AM
The (real) Hellcat has a full dirty, power on stall speed of 61mph (98kph). A clean power on stall speed of 71mph (114kph).

It had the most wing area of any WWII fighter. And it had over 2000hp. It also had a range of over 1000miles. When running at 25% fuel, it'll fly longer than most any Euro army plane on a full tank. And at 25% fuel, the Hellcat comes close to many euro planes fully loaded.

I find it interesting that people are so taken by the older versions that even when real pilots, some of whom have flown the planes in question, and the developer, who is a pilot and AE, say it's right, they still insist it's not. If pilots and AEs and people who have even flow the real thing can't convince you, what does that say about you? ("you" in general, I'm not singling you out Motorsound)

Motorsound
11-14-2004, 03:51 AM
Hallo @BlitzPig!

I understand what you mean. Pilot-reports (equal, if in USA or in Europe!) we should always take into account.
Allthough we must analyse them with critical distance and mustn't all believe what they say without questions.
Why?
Because pilots are also only humans and humans are not perfect simply.

So we must ask questions:
For example:
Is the report from a young pilot which have flown an old model a short period time before?

Or is it from an old pilot? If so, when was he telling about his experiences? Directly after the war or 50years later? A big period of time can falsify the memory!
And some pilots have had good luck or bad luck in the war during a speciel time, in which he flew one special aeroplane simply. That can falsify the memory about these aeroplane too in a good or bad direction.
Some other have developed good or bad emotional relations to their aeroplanes.

And so on ... ... !

The problem is, that these pilot-reports are/were almost written/telled in a style of facts (because the pilots are proud that someone ask them about it, proud, that they can tell about it. And they want to give clear answers).
The truth is, that than we must distinguish these pilot-reports between "impressions" and "facts"!

And because that is very difficult, we must keep critical even in relation to pilot-reports, if you ask me.

carguy_
11-14-2004, 04:02 AM
About the FMs I think it has something to do with carrier landing.Pacific planes don`t stall as often as FBAEP planes but they do stall.

I had some DF in F4F and despite what others say it`s one of the harder planes to fly currently.Even if the Ki61 is undermodelled it doesn`t stall so violently.

I fly the Zero most time and on all 3 times I had been killed were caused by a stall while performing harsh maneuvers at speeds 200-250kph.

The Ki84 is also possible to stall but I don`t "feel" anything.Completely no flying pleasure.

LEXX_Luthor
11-14-2004, 04:03 AM
Motor, it may be the sloppy writing, but are you saying Ki~83 is easy to fly carrier plane? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Motorsound
11-14-2004, 04:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by carguy_:
About the FMs I think it has something to do with carrier landing.Pacific planes don`t stall as often as FBAEP planes but they do stall.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hallo @carguy!

You are fully right!
I would like to make this clear:
I haven't written that the PF-planes don't stall!!
I have written, that they are fundamental differences of FM's between FP/AEP and PF in my eyes.

@LexxLuther
Yes, the reason is the sloppy writing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. Sorry!