PDA

View Full Version : Addictive vs OK

sgilewicz
02-07-2005, 05:01 PM
I have been flying offline campaigns since the original IL2 and while most have been entertaining, I can't say that they have been addictive. While the BOE American, FB Russian and PF USN campaigns all had a great deal of positives it wasn't until I tried the old addon "Operation Barbarossa" that I became addicted. Even though these are canned missions, the combination of intense and varied action along with an incredible sense of desperation keeps me saying "just one more mission and I'll call it a night". The interesting thing about this is that, until now, I have always flown allied campaigns (red blooded american boy that I am!) but this axis campaign was to good a buy to pass up. If any of you folks have played Barbarossa and have found even better campaigns please let me know. By the way, I still prefer the Jug but the 190 A4 is growing on me fast!

sgilewicz
02-07-2005, 05:01 PM
I have been flying offline campaigns since the original IL2 and while most have been entertaining, I can't say that they have been addictive. While the BOE American, FB Russian and PF USN campaigns all had a great deal of positives it wasn't until I tried the old addon "Operation Barbarossa" that I became addicted. Even though these are canned missions, the combination of intense and varied action along with an incredible sense of desperation keeps me saying "just one more mission and I'll call it a night". The interesting thing about this is that, until now, I have always flown allied campaigns (red blooded american boy that I am!) but this axis campaign was to good a buy to pass up. If any of you folks have played Barbarossa and have found even better campaigns please let me know. By the way, I still prefer the Jug but the 190 A4 is growing on me fast!

Atomic_Marten
02-07-2005, 05:05 PM
My opinion is that good static campaign is better than dynamic one under circumstances that we have.(I have played Operation Fall Blau and it is also good add-on)

Lucius_Esox
02-07-2005, 05:25 PM
Yes I agree Atomic_Marten,
If the IL2 series has a weak point it is the dynamic campaign implememted in FB. I was fortunate enough to play th original German fighter pilot that shipped with IL2 as my first campaign. I still remember the Night witches mission now, ahhh! sgilewicz there are many "scripted" campaigns made by third parties and I recomend any of Extreme one's, they are all good.

ytareh
02-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Sgilewicz I was so taken by your post I ordered the add on from justflight(add dotcom to get to site).It wasnt available on ebay though Ive seen it there once or twice.They have a loyalty club that gives 5 sterling pounds discount on the first order and as the disc only costs 10 I reckon Ive done well!Cant wait to get it .By the way ,it says its a 'Gold Edition' or something with 20 extra missions etc...Thanks for tip,others had actually been a bit negative about it!Hope I like it now-I did enjoy Fall Blau and paid more than twice as much for it!

Jasko76
02-07-2005, 06:05 PM
Compared to PF, FB is stellar!

Hi Marten, wassup?

Saunders1953
02-07-2005, 06:09 PM
Two questions:

Are these two campaigns compatible with the full merged install? (I assume yes, but you never know.)

Where can I get ahold of Fall Blau?

Thanks!

Atomic_Marten
02-07-2005, 06:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jasko76:
Compared to PF, FB is stellar!

Hi Marten, wassup? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hm. As usual insomnia http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

And yes, it cold here on south east also http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif. 20 deg below zero.. I think it's record considering 10 last years. But we will survive. I think http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Saunders1953:
Two questions:

Are these two campaigns compatible with the full merged install? (I assume yes, but you never know.)

Where can I get ahold of Fall Blau?

Thanks! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is full compatible with merged install (Fall Blau has the old version static campaign system you will be pretty surprised but not in the negative way, I think).
If you got a credit car check the amazon.com site -- this is the Deutschland site link:

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/3853230482/028-5822390-2893328

Also you may check:

http://shopping.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/ss_il2_sturmovik.html

Saunders1953
02-07-2005, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the information, Atomic_Marten.

TgD Thunderbolt56
02-08-2005, 07:25 AM
I wasn't addicted until I went online.

I enjoyed the single-player aspects, but once the interaction of coms and flying against real opponents was realized, the game went over the top.

The limitations of the FMB (which is still quite good IMO) is really the only obstacle in making this game better.

TB

sunflower1
02-08-2005, 07:52 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

I know most people play this offline and that there are some good reasons for avoiding public servers but man oh man is flying with real people more fun.

As good as the AI given our computers, when you fly against Ace pilots they'll still give you shots that real pilots only give you if they are making a rare mistake or they are beginners.

I find it to be a completely different game.

sgilewicz
02-08-2005, 08:07 AM
I frequently fly head to head with my son on our LAN and I agree that live opponents are certainly more challenging. However, I own a company with over 50 employees and the time I can devote to simming is unpredictable and sporadic so I "settle" for offline campaigns. Barbarossa has just blown me away with the feeling of desperation that is conveyed through the preflight briefings to the intense air and ground action. I just haven't seen this level of emotion in any of the DGEN campaigns. Thanks for the heads up on Fall Blau. It is my next purchase. How is "The Final Days"? Anyone try that yet?

OldPepper
02-08-2005, 09:33 AM
I enjoy AEP+PF a great deal.

Addictive in that I keep coming back? Yes. Addictive that I can't stop playing? No.

Flight simming like this at times can approach feeling like "Work" at times, and isn't always just a quick 'fix' like other games. I guess in that way it really shines as a "Simulation!" Flying formations is stressful! Approaching a ground target is stressful. Getting into a plane vs plane fight is stressful! The pay-off is when (and IF) you succeed in your mission or down an enemy! The releif and thrill of victory is ultimately why you play again!

Most those guys in their planes back then would have loved to just go home!

I find I'm reading more often than playing trying to find an edge or something! I don't get as many victories as some. When that changes (gradually) I'm sure the addiction factor will increase as well!

sgilewicz
02-08-2005, 10:23 AM
OldPepper, I hear what you're saying. I remember spending an entire year learning the flight/radar and weapons systems for Falcon 4.0 then spending another year going through the campaigns. The challenge was the learning curve and the reason for coming back, mission after mission, was the satisfaction of completing the goals. That said, I have played just about all of the major flight sims and, with the possible exception of European Air War, have never experienced the draw that the Barbarossa add-on has. I can only compare it to a great first person shooter like Half Life or Deus Ex which always keeps you saying "I'll just check what's beyond that corner and then stop" knowing full well there is little chance you can. If the canned campaigns can do this maybe that is where we offliners need to be.

ytareh
02-09-2005, 06:51 AM
Man Sgilewicz,you make it sound so good!I really cant wait for my Barbarossa cd rom to arrive from Justflight-hopefully before weekend-Im off all next week(teacher!) so I reckon I know what I'll be doing now!

sgilewicz
02-09-2005, 08:28 AM
ytareh, when you get it bear in mind that the first 6 or 7 missions are essentially training and familiarization. After that the action gets HEAVY. After you've played it awhile please post your opinions. I'll be looking!