PDA

View Full Version : changing colour of the gunsight

Mercwolf2
09-18-2007, 10:02 AM
Hi

I have heard that you can change colour of the gunsight in the game. How do you do this? The reason I ask is if you are flying into the sun you can't see the gunsight.

Mercwolf2
09-18-2007, 10:02 AM
Hi

I have heard that you can change colour of the gunsight in the game. How do you do this? The reason I ask is if you are flying into the sun you can't see the gunsight.

super71957
09-18-2007, 10:11 AM
Not that I am aware of.
I know some of the jet sims you can change HUD color.Not this one tho!
Have fun. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DKoor
09-18-2007, 11:03 AM
Fly for the bad guys!

109 has tinted reticle dimmer (and many other axis types)........bring it up over your gunsite by pressing CTRL+D and fire away.

super71957
09-18-2007, 11:08 AM
Forgot about that!

ytareh
09-18-2007, 12:28 PM
The Macchi MC205 can change from 'yellow' to red but I forget how....

Lurch1962
09-19-2007, 05:05 PM
In the real world there would be little need for a coloured gunsight reticle. Why? A coloured filter would have to be placed somewhere in the optical system, and this would remove some of the precious light, making the reticle pattern dimmer.

Indeed, during bright daylight conditions the gun sight's light source must be rather bright, too. So much so that the bulbs, I suspect, had to be over-voltaged and thus burned out after a fairly short life.

In the game, you're seeing fairly realistically just how a projected reticle becomes invisible when seen against a very bright background--the contrast becomes too low. The way to remedy this is to darken the background so that the reticle will have sufficient relative brightness to be seen. And this is done with a so-called reticle dimmer, which is a misnomer, really. It's the background sight picture being dimmed, NOT the reticle.

I just hate the way the reticle is represented in, say, the M'$oft CFS series. It's represented exactly like it's a pattern painted on the reflector plate. In this way it can appear dark by contrast when seen against a brighter background. But I stress, THIS IS WRONG. Oleg's got it right!

Indeed, even the colour is pretty good, too. A WWII gun sight's bulb would have had an old fashioned tungsten filament, which would appear a yellow colour.

--Lurch--