PDA

View Full Version : BF109's sold to Japan and the USSR! during ww2 !!! True?



signalnorth
10-07-2005, 06:33 AM
In 'German Warbirds' by K. Munson he writes of the BF 109E-3 that 'Germany could afford to export substantial numbers of (it) to Bulgaria, Hungary, Jpan Romania , Slovakia , Switzerland the USSR and Yugoslavia'

So did this aeroplane fly in service/combat with Japanese or Soviet airforces then?!!!!

Anyone know?

hobnail
10-07-2005, 06:45 AM
Hey...Australia considered buying Zeros from Japan in the years leading up to WWII. That would've made things somewhat interesting over Darwin and Kokoda.

Waldo.Pepper
10-07-2005, 06:51 AM
The Japanese evaled them but were not impressed. Hardly surprising considering that at the time the Japanese ethos was on EXTREME maneouverability.

IIRC same thing goes with the Soviets as well. They also bought six He 100's as well.

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/he100.html

You know google right?

F19_Olli72
10-07-2005, 06:56 AM
Japan only got very few 109s for evaluation. I dont think any of those 109s saw active service.

http://www.j-aircraft.com/captured/testedby/me109/me109.htm

ImpStarDuece
10-07-2005, 06:57 AM
Germany shipped either 5 or 9 109E-7s in 1941. They were shipped without armament and 'special' equipment.

The Japanese disliked the 109 because of its high wing loading and nasty landing characteristics. They were quite appreciative of it dive and climb characteritics, something which influenced designs like the Ki-44 and Ki-61 later in the war. Japanese assesments, like those of most nations, showed thier own aircraft to be better. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Waldo.Pepper
10-07-2005, 07:02 AM
Messer sold the following tothe USSR

2 Bf-108's
5 Bf 109
5 Bf 110

cawimmer430
10-07-2005, 07:45 AM
The Japanese should have loved the BF-109 because it at least had armour protection for the pilot. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I myself love the Zero, that's actually the plane I "learned to fly on" in the Ubisoft flight series. It's an easy plane to fly and it turns very nice. Roll-rate is a bit slow but the maneuvrability makes up for it. Another problem, the Zero is quite slow and has virtually zero protection for the pilot, fuel tanks etc. When flying against them, they're easy to light on fire.

Interesting that the Russians got a handful of BF-109's. Any records of them being used against the Germans!?

I know Germany supplied Japan late in the war with plans on how to build the Messerschmidt 163 "Komet". There was actually a U-Boat heading towards Japan with 2 prototypes onboard, but it never reached the Land of the Rising Sun.

major_setback
10-07-2005, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
The Japanese evaled them but were not impressed. Hardly surprising considering that at the time the Japanese ethos was on EXTREME maneouverability.

IIRC same thing goes with the Soviets as well. They also bought six He 100's as well.

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/he100.html

You know google right?

There's a good picure on that site:

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/images/he100-3.jpg

JG52Karaya-X
10-07-2005, 08:42 AM
IIRC Japan planned to (or even did) buy the manufacturing-licence for the Bf109G10...

Pirschjaeger
10-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
Messer sold the following tothe USSR

2 Bf-108's
5 Bf 109
5 Bf 110

Yes and due to Germany's Forest Conservation policy, no more Messerschmitts were built for the Russian market. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Fritz

Monty_Thrud
10-07-2005, 05:03 PM
Thats because Germany didnt have Delta trees...your trees were inferior...be sure http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

tenmmike
10-07-2005, 10:14 PM
HERE YA GO
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/tenmmike/6d00eb84.jpg

tenmmike
10-07-2005, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by cawimmer430:
The Japanese should have loved the BF-109 because it at least had armour protection for the pilot. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I myself love the Zero, that's actually the plane I "learned to fly on" in the Ubisoft flight series. It's an easy plane to fly and it turns very nice. Roll-rate is a bit slow but the maneuvrability makes up for it. Another problem, the Zero is quite slow and has virtually zero protection for the pilot, fuel tanks etc. When flying against them, they're easy to light on fire.

Interesting that the Russians got a handful of BF-109's. Any records of them being used against the Germans!?

I know Germany supplied Japan late in the war with plans on how to build the Messerschmidt 163 "Komet". There was actually a U-Boat heading towards Japan with 2 prototypes onboard, but it never reached the Land of the Rising Sun. and here you go.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/tenmmike/j8m1-1.jpg