PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best game to buy first?

Substitute79
11-12-2004, 03:14 AM
Should I buy Il-2 forgotten battles for 7.99 or would Pacific Fighters (26.99) be the better option?

Substitute79
11-12-2004, 03:14 AM
Should I buy Il-2 forgotten battles for 7.99 or would Pacific Fighters (26.99) be the better option?

carguy_
11-12-2004, 03:29 AM
A matter of preference really.The main question is do you intend to play online?

Forgotten battles is a sequel to IL2 Sturmovik,thus it`s much better -it has low specs requirements and couple of patches.

PF is a game that can be a standalone but depending on the user it can be combined with the Aces Expansion Pack if you buy the last.

Online:I have yet to see a Pacific Fighters only server,most of the are AEP+FB+PF.

If you want to play online you can either:

1.Buy FB,AEP ,patch it to v2.04(plenty of servers)

2.Buy AEP+FB+PF and step up to v3.00

I recommend trying out FB first.If you like it,you can carry on with others.

Substitute79
11-12-2004, 04:26 AM
I will most likely start with the offline missions, and then move onto the online scene later. I haven't played flight sims since Aces over the Pacific and Red baron. I did have a brief flertation with Combat Flight Sim but wasn't impressed.

269GA-Maxmars
11-12-2004, 04:42 AM
PF is running on an improved version of the same engine FB is. It's also got carrier landings and a better campaign engine.

If you don't mind being stuck in the Pacific, I'd say go for it.

Although, may I add, at that price why not get both titles?

AWL_Spinner
11-12-2004, 04:54 AM
It's probably only worth buying both if you also get the bridging "Forgotten Battles : Ace Expansion Pack" which allows you to end up with the mother of all installations (FB+AEP+PF).

Without AEP the two products aren't compatible. You'll also get much more online action with a combined install (plus you get a load more aircraft with AEP).

I believe there's a Forgotten Battles Gold pack floating about which contains FB and AEP.

Cheers, Spinner

Substitute79
11-12-2004, 04:57 AM
I have read some reviews for PF and they have said that the game is a bit glitchy and not as good as previous games. I only want to buy one to start with as I want to see if i like the game.

AWL_Spinner
11-12-2004, 05:53 AM
In that case, if you can, get the Forgotten Battles Gold pack, it's bound to be cheap somewhere. There's more "content" in there to keep you amused than is in the vanilla Pacific Fighters and you can upgrade later if you wish.

Of course, if you can get Forgotten Battles on it's own for 7.99 then it's a steal so I'd definitely recommend that if you can't find the above.

It's also not much of an outlay if you just want to try it out.

Cheers, Spinner

Substitute79
11-12-2004, 05:58 AM
I just bought FGB for 7.99 from play.com, sounds like a bargain. The expansion pack is 14.99 so i didnt bother.

FoolTrottel
11-12-2004, 05:47 PM
If you can, make sure you get your hands on the Original IL-2!
And start with that.
You will have the same fun as all the original players: The original is great and awsome.
After playing that, you get FB and be amazed at what it delivers...Get AEP and once again, be amazed...
Finally... you get to PF.
That makes it complete (except maybe for Malta;-)

LStarosta
11-12-2004, 07:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FoolTrottel:
If you can, make sure you get your hands on the Original IL-2!
And start with that.
You will have the same fun as all the original players: The original is great and awsome.
After playing that, you get FB and be amazed at what it delivers...Get AEP and once again, be amazed...
Finally... you get to PF.
That makes it complete (except maybe for Malta;-) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I completely disagree. If you're just getting into the IL2 series, there is no point in getting the original, unless you like throwing money away, in which case I will give you my mailing address for you to send any currency you have problems with.

LEXX_Luthor
11-12-2004, 08:48 PM
Get FB Gold (also called FB/AEP) which has the extra CD for the "aces expansion pac" as we call it. You can download two Patches called 2.01 (120MB) and 2.04 (20MB).

You will probably like it and then get the FP. You need the FB Gold if you want to add FP to FB, because FP needs the FB Gold -- FP won't addon to plain FB 1.xy. The nice thing about FP is that if you get both now and install FP on top of FB Gold, you don't have to mess with the FB Gold Patches 2.01 and 2.04. Sweet.

If you can't find FB Gold, just get FB and AEP (aces expansion pac)

I call the whole mess "FBP" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Wellcome to Forgotten Board

Bearcat99
11-12-2004, 11:42 PM
Get the Forgotten Battles GOLD pack and PF. In the US that would cost $70 but it is well worth it. Three fronts... over 200 planes to choose from.. carriers.... snow, rain , mountains.... YEAH BABY!!! You wont regret it.

Simjock
11-13-2004, 12:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bearcat99:
Get the Forgotten Battles GOLD pack and PF. In the US that would cost $70 but it is well worth it. Three fronts... over 200 planes to choose from.. carriers.... snow, rain , mountains.... YEAH BABY!!! You wont regret it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

200 planes to chose from??? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Did I miss an expansion pack somewere?

Bearcat99
11-13-2004, 08:18 AM
If you look at all the variants I do believe it is over 200.....

Atomic_Marten
11-13-2004, 08:33 PM
Buy both. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
If must choose, then really I don't know. That would be hard decision. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif