PDA

View Full Version : Torpedo redundancy or not?

cueceleches
04-18-2005, 05:07 AM
Hi!!

Most of the time during the naval academy, I found that to sink a ship I needed at least to torps.
Since I started a career (I´m on my 5th mission) I decided not to give any ship the chance of being hit, not sunk, and start maneuvering, so I always fire two torps in a row. It works, though yesterday I attacked a DD near Dover and the first fish was enough to break the ship in two pieces. Although the second torp also impacted, the WO called it as missed.

My question is: how do you know when to use one torp or more? Cause I thought a DD should be harder to sink than a merchant, and it seems not. The point is to save my very limited number of torpedos for more targets.

Thanks!

LW_lcarp
04-18-2005, 05:16 AM
They call DDs tin tans for a reason. Also try to set your torp depth below the keel of the ship so the magnetic trigger sets it off most ships are thinner underneth and use less torps to sink. The big ships C2 c3 t2t3 will need more then 1 but not always

con20or
04-18-2005, 05:16 AM
I think Uboat captains genrally always fired a salvo, or at least more than one. The importance of the target dictates the number of torpedoes, after all you may not get another chance. i always fire two at least, unless im aiming by eye in rough weather. then just one.

W.Irving
04-18-2005, 05:25 AM
I usually only launch one torpedo at a single target at a time. Feels much more rewarding to have all of your torpedoes hit their targets, even if it means more work in order to hunt down crippled ships.

cueceleches
04-18-2005, 05:27 AM
I´ve tried a couple of times the "under the keel" method, but no results at all: wether they pass below, or even once it bounced off the hull. It was set to both magentic and impact. Though I will try it, just to see the effect on the ship, which must be rather impressive!
On the other hand, I guess I´ll keep firing 2 torps, just in case one is not enough or misses the target. I really hate when one torp hits, doesn´t sink the ship and it sarts zigzagging like mad, rendering a fine solution almost impossible.

Jose.MaC
04-18-2005, 05:39 AM
You have to figure what is the depth of the keel of this ship on this moment, and shot just one meter under it. Takes a little of practice, but is very rewarding. Anyway, with electric torpedoes, shot two.

cueceleches
04-18-2005, 05:46 AM
Anyway, my personal opinion is that for an "under the keel" shoot, the sea must be rather calm, as with rough seas, the keel depth varies way too much.
BTW, I still haven´t tried electrical torpedos, but I´ve read quite a bunch of threads stating that they are not very reliable, most of the time exploding before it should or just not doing it at all.

quillan
04-18-2005, 07:43 AM
The T2 torpedoes SUCK. The T3 has been good so far. I've only had access to them for 2 patrols, though, so I don't have a lot of first hand experience with them yet.

MouseNo47
04-18-2005, 09:39 AM
I was a fool. In the beginning i thought the higher the number and later they were designed and built the better the torpedo.

Man was i wrong... T2's suck so bad. Bad range, bad speed, bad depth keeping equipment and premature explosions. OMG and more duds!

T1's are ten times better although the wake means you must fire them under 1000m to get a good chance to hit.

Yet to try T3's and up.

cueceleches
04-18-2005, 10:10 AM
I´m sorry, but I´m still not very familiar with torpedo acronyms...I´m actually in late 1940, with a type VII Uboat, and still have the same basic steam torpedos. I´ve never loaded the electrical ones into my ship.
Nevertheless, I usually get hits at more the 2.500m if I get a fine solution. Once I even scored a hit on a C2 at 4.600m, and it took ages for the torp to reach it. I fired it just to see if it was possible, but I guess that such long hits are mostly luck.

MouseNo47
04-18-2005, 10:16 AM
No human in real life would be able to pull that off.

Frumpkis
04-18-2005, 10:16 AM
I only use the T1's, always magnetic set to one meter under the draft (except in heavy weather, as noted above).

For a large target like a C2, C3 or tanker, I fire two shots.... either one fast and one medium, or one medium and one slow (depending on distance), so they both arrive at about the same time, on the same part of the hull. I'd have to be very lucky to get a one-shot kill on something like a C2, and it often takes a third fish or deck gun action to finish it off, even after two successful hits. So I figure it makes sense to go ahead and fire two at once for the heavy targets.

For smaller stuff like coastal merchants or DD's, I only fire one torpedo. I'm out for maximum tonnage on every patrol, and I try to get the best torpedo-to-tonnage ratio I can.

W.Irving
04-18-2005, 10:23 AM
Why does everyone speak so disapprovingly of the T II? I haven't noticed it failing more than the TI. Sure, the range is very limited in comparison, but sufficient for me. I usually don't engage any ship beyond 2.5km - but mostly around 1.5 kms.
Being wakeless, it is ideal as the first wave, or for engaging fast warships.

LordBane2005B
04-18-2005, 12:33 PM
I prefer the T1s over the T2s. T2s seem ALOT more prone to error. Usualy I only fire one torp at anything smaller than a C3. Usualy abou t a meter under the keel unless it's a C2 in which case I set the torp for impact and try to plant it just forward of the command deck. Those things go up in a huge fireball and usualy break in half. I guess there's a fuel bunker there or something.

W.Irving
04-18-2005, 12:49 PM
I just did the most amazing thing in the channel. My WO reported an enemy ship at roughly 160 degrees. I popped the attack periscope up and checked distance. 7800mts. After watching the Destroyer closely for awhile, it had lined itself up perfectly for a stern torpedo. I was well grateful I hadn't loaded a TII into the aft tube, so I launched the TI I had in there now. Magnetic pistol, medium speed. Six minutes later, the torpedo goes off right on the second projected and the WE kindly reports to me that the torpedo had missed.
But it hadn't. I had just sunk a Destroyer, over half a metrical mile away! It is moments like these you don't really care if you've missed the Simpsons or not. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

quillan
04-18-2005, 12:55 PM
Well, Irving, in my career I'm up to late November of 1942. I've used both T1 steam and T2 electrics the entire time. I haven't kept a written tally, so these numbers might be wildly off, but it sure seems to me that the T2 has a better than 50% premature detonation rate when used with the magnetic pistol. They're fine with impact fusing, but I have an enormous failure rate using them as magnetic. I get the occasional failure with the T1s, but nowhere near the rate of failure on the T2s.

Maj_Death
04-18-2005, 05:11 PM
Depends on the target and the angle. If I have a good angle at close range, I'll probebly fire singly. Most ships can be taken down with a single well placed torpedo running on the surface using impact detonators so if I can get close enough to aim for the sweet spot, I fire just one. However if it is a less than perfect shot (which it normally is) I fire in pairs or even 3 or all 4 forward tubes. For any merchant, 3 is the maximum I fire at one time. The reason is because even 3 bad hits will sink them. The exception to this is ocean liners, those take 4 hits (worth it though, they are 25k tons each). Destroyers and corvettes require only one direct hit anywhere on them to sink. Cruisers vary from 1 torpedo to all 4. Have yet to come across a battleship that I could get in range of.

BTW, I never use electrics as they are too slow. Actually, there are two electrics I use, those are the homing T-IV and T-V torpedoes. I never complain when they give me those http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif.