PDA

View Full Version : Will the mods survive the SoW?

CrazySchmidt
01-16-2009, 02:46 AM
It's not gonna happen.

You want your say? Join the debate here. (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewtopic&t=5598)

Enforcer572005
01-16-2009, 04:28 AM
As I elaborate more fully on in said thread above, it depends on what is offered and when. I know I will be much more involved as an FMB guy when the Korea project comes along in the new generation.

Uufflakke
01-16-2009, 05:51 AM
For the time being it will survive BoB. For several reasons:

When BoB comes out we will probably need a high end PC to get good graphics with enough fps.
So therefore you need to have another rig, but what's the alternative? Windows Vista with all its pros and cons? Or wait one more year for Windows 7 to be released, the so called improved version of Vista?
And don't forget there is an economical crisis going on that certainly will last for a while which will be enough reason for many people to postpone their PC purchase.

So yes, IL-2 with or without mods will be alive after the release of BoB.

JG52Uther
01-16-2009, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by Uufflakke:
For the time being it will survive BoB. For several reasons:

When BoB comes out we will probably need a high end PC to get good graphics with enough fps.
So therefore you need to have another rig, but what's the alternative? Windows Vista with all its pros and cons? Or wait one more year for Windows 7 to be released, the so called improved version of Vista?
And don't forget there is an economical crisis going on that certainly will last for a while which will be enough reason for many people to postpone their PC purchase.

So yes, IL-2 with or without mods will be alive after the release of BoB.
+1
And don't forget SoW will be released with only a couple of flyables and a sheep called Mabel.
Oh and some wavy grass.

FlatSpinMan
01-16-2009, 06:17 AM
Abso-smurfly it'll survive. The sheer variety of theatres, planes and resources. This market is a fairly diehard one. I'm sure many of us will be playing both. Plus, BOB doesn't appeal to a lot of current players due its narrow focus. Personally it's one of the conflicts I can't get enough of - I love the whole thing.

Blood_Splat
01-16-2009, 08:13 AM
Will your computer survive SoW?
lol

staticline1
01-16-2009, 08:32 AM
Sure they will survive. Look how long CFS3 has lasted.

Bearcat99
01-16-2009, 08:54 AM
I think this sim will be around a while... the mods will only mke it last longer. I do think that there are limits though to what can be done with the mods, but most of the ones I ave seen have been very good enhancements to the sim.

Keep in mind that we are getting new people in here everyday and there are people who are just now getting rigs that can handle the sim..

Metatron_123
01-16-2009, 09:26 AM
For sure it will survive. I got a new laptop which is my primary computer now, there's a very real possibility SOW won't run on it, and there's also the already mentioned matter of diversity: Virtually every aspect of world war two air war is covered or will be covered in Il-2 with the mods.

Chivas
01-16-2009, 10:07 AM
IL-2 will survive just as EAW, CFS series, Rowans/Shockwave have survived, it will just have far fewer participants. As always the majority will move on.

Hookecho
01-16-2009, 06:03 PM
better question is......will SoW survive the mods?

VMF-214_HaVoK
01-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Uufflakke: Windows Vista with all its pros and cons? Or wait one more year for Windows 7 to be released, the so called improved version of Vista?

Why would you need either? Oleg has stated that SoW is built with XP as the primary concern and based yet again on OpenGL. So no need for Vista's DX10. Will Vista or Windows 7 run SoW? Im sure it will but I know XP will offer the least issues and its all you need. Im actually staying with XP Pro 64bit till I have extremely good reasons to switch.

S!

VMF-214_HaVoK
01-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Hookecho:
better question is......will SoW survive the mods?

Its mod friendly from the start. It will also have online restrictions. As IL2 it will do just fine. Actually it will thrive with mods!

S!

x6BL_Brando
01-16-2009, 06:42 PM
I think I will want to fly BoB entirely off-line for the first few months, to enjoy whatever campaign scenarios and new effects are coming our way. I will also want to spend time working with the mission-builder and developing some scenarios to be flown on-line. In the meantime I'll be getting my on-line fix flying Forgotten Battles.

If the gosh-awfully computer-component-requirements for flying BoB are as severe as many are predicting then it's even more certain that I'll be splitting my time between both titles. I don't plan to go swanning off, thumbing my nose at comrades who can't afford to upgrade their computers to fly BoB on-line.
FB, modded or not, has plenty of life left in it yet.

B

Tully__
01-17-2009, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by staticline1:
Sure they will survive. Look how long CFS3 has lasted.
Never mind CFS3, it's still a youngster. European Air War still has an active modding community, so there! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

doogerie
01-17-2009, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by FlatSpinMan:
Abso-smurfly it'll survive. The sheer variety of theatres, planes and resources. This market is a fairly diehard one. I'm sure many of us will be playing both. Plus, BOB doesn't appeal to a lot of current players due its narrow focus. Personally it's one of the conflicts I can't get enough of - I love the whole thing.

I love the whole (true) story of the BOB whay with bader spitfiers Hurricanes and all that also I am quite fond of the BLITZ so there will probly be lodes of mods out for it

Choctaw111
01-17-2009, 08:34 AM
Yes, it will survive.
BoB is not a replacement for Il2. BoB will merely redo a theater better Il2 has done it. You must consider that BoB will look very good, but be very limited as far as historical scenarios are concerned.
Il2 has many theaters and types of missions available.
I can see that many of us will get BoB, but still continue flying Il2 for the stuff that BoB will not provide on the initial release.

Chivas
01-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Choctaw111:
Yes, it will survive.
BoB is not a replacement for Il2. BoB will merely redo a theater better Il2 has done it. You must consider that BoB will look very good, but be very limited as far as historical scenarios are concerned.
Il2 has many theaters and types of missions available.
I can see that many of us will get BoB, but still continue flying Il2 for the stuff that BoB will not provide on the initial release.

With the complexity of SOW BOB, it should keep me keenly interested atleast until SOW MED comes out. Addons to the series will come out relatively quickly as it would basicly require a new map and some aircraft. Never mind that the Korean addon will likely come out within six months of BOB.

I would probably soon find attacking huge formations of bombers boring. What does interest me is the more advanced ground pounding aspect on either side. On the german side there were single raiders flying deep into England attacking specified targets. Flying low level over realistic scenery trying to avoid detection in and out of target would hold my interest for sometime, and you could do it for either side.

Jaws2002
01-17-2009, 11:15 AM
I Will be still playing IL2 once in a while, but i sure hope BOB will stay HACKS FREE for at least 3-4 years.

It would be really sad to have the game hacked early and destroy the online play. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif Here I'm talking about code haking, not moding within the limits allowed by Maddox team.

DuxCorvan
01-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Will we live long enough to see the release of SoW?

msalama
01-17-2009, 05:07 PM
Will we live long enough to see the release of SoW?

Will we _CARE_ long enough to see the release of SoW with the likes of Black Shark out already?

Yayaya, I know, it's modern warfare & stuff so it's apples and oranges of course. A hell of a sim still I think...