PDA

View Full Version : DAW control surfaces

Aaron_GT
12-13-2008, 09:58 AM
Has anyone got a DAW control surface (USB). Probably not likely but I was curious if they could be configured as a HID and then be used as a controller in IL2.

Aaron_GT
12-13-2008, 09:58 AM
Has anyone got a DAW control surface (USB). Probably not likely but I was curious if they could be configured as a HID and then be used as a controller in IL2.

squareusr
12-16-2008, 03:52 PM
I use knobs on a MIDI keyboard for trim, but it is not a straight "configure as HID" solution.

What i did is i reactivated my dormant c++ abilities to write a small application that reads the MIDI knobs and converts the data into devicelink messages. On the way it applies some "magic" to deal with the crude quality of my MIDI controller and the generally low resolution of MIDI CCs (there's zoom, some filtering...).

Nowadays, i would not suggest anyone to go this route, since the same result can be achieved with much less effort by writing a small glovepie script that converts MIDI data into virtual joystick input.

PS: not too long ago i was eyeing the Tascam Fireone, primarily as an audio interface, but that huge jog-wheel was constantly screaming "vertical trim!" into my inner ear http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif