PDA

View Full Version : So disapointed with my first contact!!

Poacher886a
04-20-2005, 12:39 AM
Hi,
I can't belive what a game spoiler this is!!

I'm on my first patrol in a type11A i play mainly realtime and compress bits and bobs,i have taken 20hrs to reach my patrol zone and start heading home again...

...I have seen or heard nothing apart from a few aircraft attacks and a few 500km+ neutral contacts,which i had on these forums explained as freindly spoters and other sub contacts!

Im quite happy with all this as i play on full realism and although i questioned the long range contacts,im willing to imagine them as have been spotted by a friendly somewhere.

Now here's the game killer!!
On my way back from my patrol zone(remember i have'nt even seen a ship in this game yet)i decided to go south past Hartlypool then east back to Whelmshaven,but as i head of south a ENEMY contact is given to me about 200km away and traveling in my genral direction.

You can imagine my excitment at the prospect of seeing not just my first ship,but an enemy that i can intercept with a bit of carefull manover.

So to cut an otherwise long story short,i take 8hrs(2 days of my real time)i play about 4hrs a day..to approch the position i intend to ambush it,its pitch black and i intend to dive near my ambush spot and pick it up on hydrophone(for the first time,yipee!).

This of course all depends on weather my calculations for his speed and course were
correct,the tension mounts and just 5k from my intended dive and ambush position.......

IT ****ING TURNS UP ON MY NAV MAP AS A CONTACT 35K AWAY.going in the correct asumed heading and about on time.

I cant belive it,there's no point in using sonar or anything,Gods eye gives it all away and spoils any skill/tension or failure,at 35k in pitch black,my crew did not spot it,sonar does'nt work on the surface and it was to far anyway,and my radio man reported no messages,coupled with the fact this is right near the British coastline at night,so definately no freindly sightings.

This has really spoilt my first contact,and i hav'nt even engaged it yet,cos i just can't justify it,i'd of given anything to have been dived and sat waiting,then suddenly hearing it on hydrophones knowing my calculations were correct!!

alanschu
04-20-2005, 12:47 AM
If you're playing on Full Realism then why did God's Eye view show up.

I have it disabled and it's just that....disabled.

Unikhorne
04-20-2005, 12:58 AM
OMGLOLZBBQSAUCE!!!!!1111111111111oneone
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> as i play on full realism <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I cant belive it,there's no point in using sonar or anything,Gods eye gives it all away and spoils any skill/tension or failure <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You're NOT playing on full realism, my deluded little munchkin. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

InfectiousDust
04-20-2005, 12:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by alanschu:
If you're playing on Full Realism then why did God's Eye view show up. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oops! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Poacher886a
04-20-2005, 06:13 AM
Please tell me your joking!

When i started this patrol,i ticked every box except the freecam one,and this gave me 92% realism!

Have i missed something here,as i remember the devs saying your have to make your own map marks etc and nothing will show on your map or something!!

xanty
04-20-2005, 06:22 AM
Those map reports are actualy radioed to you, just that the radio-man puts them in the map for you, rather than shouting them. If you click on the radio-man menu, there is an option to tell you which radioed contact is closer to you. Therefore, those ship contacts come from the radio. However, you do get them underwater, which is wrong...

Poacher886a
04-20-2005, 06:25 AM
In fact i've just thought about this now and i am on full realism because,when i klicked on freecam off it gave me 100% realism and then back to 92% when turned on,as i have it now!

mbabbs
04-20-2005, 06:25 AM
You are not using Gods eye view here.

All that has happened is that you have received another radio update on the targets position.

This doesn't happen a great deal with lone Merchants but it does happen quite frequently with convoys which is natural.

The indicator on your map is just a radio message received about the ships location. It could be anything - a condor spotting the ship, the ship breaking radio silence, a different sub spotting it, friendly naval reports etc etc

Poacher886a
04-20-2005, 06:36 AM
I have some serious problems with this!
The ship is a lone contact.

a.The radioman when asked says"no messages sir"

b.Why does'nt he shout if he has recived vitall info?
c.As stated this seems to work underwater.

d.Does this mean that no sensors are needed as you'll get a regular update from radio(i thought we had to make are own marks and asumptions)
e.Its pitch black and next to the British coast i dont think it can be spotted by freindly planes/ships/u-boats.

Xanty:when i click on my radioman all i can do is ask for messages recived,or send a contact or patrol report!!

Beckett.
04-20-2005, 07:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>d.Does this mean that no sensors are needed as you'll get a regular update from radio(i thought we had to make are own marks and asumptions) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
No, but only because, in my experience, the radio updates aren't very 'regular'. They are random and rare. I admit I'm not sure if it's truly random or it it actually is based on enemy ships/planes passing close to and spotting the ship. But it is infrequent. Even if it takes you another 8 hours to intercept that ship, I doubt you'll get a second radio spotting of that same ship in that period of time.

More importantly, the position of these radio contacts does NOT auto update like when you have god's eye mode turned on. The icon/marking will remain in the same spot and slowly fade from the map (I'm not sure exactly how long it takes to dissapear from the map). In fact, it works this way for radio contacts even IF you have god's eye mode turned on.

I just started playing a week ago, so someone please correct me if any of my facts are wrong. I agree that there seem to be some problems with the way this feature works.

quillan
04-20-2005, 08:15 AM
The single contacts that appear on the map are supposed to represent several things: ships whose positions were reported in an intercepted radio transmission, ships whose positions were calculated from direction finding on an intercepted transmission, and ships whose positions were reported by other friendly vessels. The developers felt it would be too clumsy to make you read a radio message for each one of these, so they just have them appear on the map. Turning off the auto-map updates doesn't stop these from appearing.

bettysgz
04-20-2005, 08:24 AM
I've never heard of this thing called "God's Eye View". Can someone please explain it to me?

quillan
04-20-2005, 08:35 AM
There's a realism setting called "Auto Map Update" or something similar. When it's checked, any ship you see has an icon appear on the map, with the position absolutely accurate, and it updates in realtime as the ship moves. That makes plotting the target course and avoiding being rammed much easier.

Poacher886a
04-20-2005, 09:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Beckett.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>d.Does this mean that no sensors are needed as you'll get a regular update from radio(i thought we had to make are own marks and asumptions) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
No, but only because, in my experience, the radio updates aren't very 'regular'. They are random and rare. I admit I'm not sure if it's truly random or it it actually is based on enemy ships/planes passing close to and spotting the ship. But it is infrequent. Even if it takes you another 8 hours to intercept that ship, I doubt you'll get a second radio spotting of that same ship in that period of time.

More importantly, the position of these radio contacts does NOT auto update like when you have god's eye mode turned on. The icon/marking will remain in the same spot and slowly fade from the map (I'm not sure exactly how long it takes to dissapear from the map). In fact, it works this way for radio contacts even IF you have god's eye mode turned on.

_I just started playing a week ago, so someone please correct me if any of my facts are wrong. I agree that there seem to be some problems with the way this feature works._ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm glad to hear these are rare and infrequent,but it was an update of an original report that im peed about...The original contact was given 200k away,and after plotting my intercept and following it,it then appeared 35k away(bang on where i had expected it to be),but before i had the fun of searching with hydrophones and the suspence of wandering if i had made the right calculations!
It was like God saying by the way its here now and marking it on my map!
Still as stated if these are rare i can handle that,but what is pissing me of is:

a.The intiall radio contact with rough heading,speed and wether its friend of foe makes sence and can stop an otherwise unsucessful mission,but leave it at that,no more updates and for gods sake dont give a special box around it telling us what the bloody ship is aswell!

b.Again,the bloody notepads on hydrophone and optics all have gods vision and tell you what the darn ship is leaving no error for judgement,we want full realism if thats what we choose,its ruining the longivety of the game by learning from experience!!

Oh and on a side note,how do you reload the flak cannon ready for the next air attack?

MouseNo47
04-20-2005, 09:37 AM
This feature is like many others.

On some respects the devs did a freakin awesome job with the sim. On others its just purely laughable at the stupidity of certain things.

Radio contacts underwater? Destroyers being 100% accurate with depth finding in 1939-40? Crush depths of subs there were proven to dive much deeper.

The list goes on.

On the other hand there is an equally great list of totally amazing features.

You can blow the propeller off a merchant and it sits there helpless awaiting your next fish. Certain explosions are so powerful that they blow a merchant clean in half. Fish detonate premature and thud against enemy ships hulls just like in real life.

Simply amazing detail, coupled with WTF?

Poacher886a
04-20-2005, 10:37 PM
Ok,but how do you reload your flak gun in time for the next air attack.ie not leave it with 2shots in!!

scourtney2
04-20-2005, 11:03 PM
poacher, to reload the flak gun, shoot off all remaing rounds and the gun will reload. Thats all.

As far as your map updates, A real U-boat captain would be elated to recieve a contact report of his intended target as he sailed for the intercept! He would appreciate every little help he could get!

I'll bet you could play this game for another 500 hours and NEVER recieve another report JUST before you intercept, as in this case. The updates are random and rare, just in your case you were lucky enough, (or unlucky according to you) to receive an update JUST before intercept. This does not generally happen.

pmckelvy
04-20-2005, 11:08 PM
If you don't like the frequency of the map updates, change the contact cfg in your data file. It was talked about in a thread a few days ago and I knocked mine down from 200kn to 25 and now they are few and far between. You eitherhunt, or you miss alot. If I'm sitting in a high traffic area I still get afew no and then but it's still hunt, hunt hunt. Anyway just a suggestion as it increase my personal immersion factor.

Mac

Dominicrigg
04-21-2005, 03:32 AM
Double updates can be quite regular. I am noting down how many radio intercepts i get per patrol and trying to find contempory reports of them and last patrol i got 10+ contacts on radio (single contacts) 2 were updated 2wice.

I think its highly unlikely the British single vessels were so slack as they are in game, and if they were something is wrong... How come U-boat captains who were so skilled and would destroy a lone ship with no problem didnt manage to get super tonnage?

Were they numbskulls when it came to intercepting the ships?

I think the only 3 answers can be

<LI> The radio interceptions are far too regular
<LI> The radio interceptions give far too accurate positional info.
<LI> Radio interceptions didnt happen

I think a combination of the first 2 is the answer.

Mylo42
04-22-2005, 10:19 AM
Everytime a read a thread in relation to this topic, I can't help but think....why did the devs "assume" we would think that plotting our own radio contacts would be too clumsy ? By the sounds of it, that's exactly what most simmers want. They want the radio man to pipe up (when surfaced) with a possible contact, confirming how this intelligence was obtained (BdU, aircraft spotting, another sub, radio detection...whatever), leaving it up to the individual Cpts to go to the nav map and plot this contact if they wanted. I think this would have been a much better way to go. It seems to me the devs have replaced "clutter" with "confusion".

Dominicrigg
04-22-2005, 10:45 AM
Position of submarine Distance from "Goliath" (in km) Depth of submarine's antenna (in metres)
North sea 1000 km 14 - 24 m
Mediterranean sea 2300 km 12 - 17 m
Bay of Biscay up to 30 m
Indian ocean 6000 - 8000 km 7 - 14 m

Doh yesterday i got a radio intercept at 140 metres with no radio man sat at the console...

Also, i thought the red contacts were radio intercepts? These CANNOT be picked up underwater.

If not then they are BDU Contacts, and how in the freezing belly of Satan does doenitz know where all these frieghters are?

MrQBerrt
04-22-2005, 12:21 PM
Mylo42, I agree with you. I'd love to see this as an option though. The best for me would be if every contact came in as a report (with the source of the report included) and if I wanted it charted I could either go do it myself or have an officer to do it for me.

There are times where a contact just shows up on the map that I would have much rather charted myself. And there are times when my watcher says target spoted 212 degrees long range and I would like to tell him that I'm busy firing on a destroyer 300 meters away, go plot it yourself you lazy *$%@! and stop bothering me.

P.S. I hope the cartoon explitive doesn't bother anyone, I thought it was funny.

MrQBerrt
04-22-2005, 12:43 PM
BTW, a little off subject, but I just switched off the "God's Eye" mode 2 patrols ago and I haven't gotten a radio contact since. I used to get several per patrol. However, if I'm cruising to my patrol destination at 1024 compression, it will occasionally bump me down to 8 compression with no indicated reason. There will be no report, no radio messages, and no red contacts showing up on the map. Is this weird? Did I turn off radio contacts some how?

And one last addendum, for those red radio contancts that myseriosly pop up ... is there any record of those radio messages anywhere? I can't seem to find them.

Unikhorne
04-22-2005, 01:18 PM
With Gods Eye mode turned off, basicly the only indication of a contact report you get is TC decay. Then you have to manualy sonar for the contact. Sometimes you hear it, sometimes you don't. This is, in my opinion, excedingly stupid. This game was clearly designed to be played with Gods Eye ON.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> P.S. I hope the cartoon explitive doesn't bother anyone, I thought it was funny. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Where else on the web can you get this amount of consideration for other peoples mental comfort? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Mylo42
04-22-2005, 01:26 PM
Aldega,

Admittantly, I (nor are the good majority on this forum I would suspect)am not an EXPERT on U-Boats, or radio communications of WWII, as is evident by my suggesting that radio messages would have to happen while surfaced (I believe my prior post was simply a comment / observation that I thought might open the floor to some discussion). I appreciate you taking the time to educate me, and others, further.

I can appreciate that not everybody is a "people person". Some simply lack tact in proposing their arguement. It's not your fault. Now if it was me, I might have said, "Hey guys, I think I found a website that confirms that radio transmissions were in fact possible while submerged. Check it out." You see how that's such a much nicer way of telling people just how smart you are....without calling them a bunch of stupid idiots, thus allienating yourself from, what otherwise might be, good discussion ? Do you see my point ?

I was just wondering though........ ?? How did you get ahold of my IQ scores and discover that I am, in fact, a stupid moron ? I thought those records were supposed to be confidential ?

Treetop64
04-22-2005, 09:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by InfectiousDust:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by alanschu:
If you're playing on Full Realism then why did God's Eye view show up. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oops! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. I think we were caught in a bit of a lie, yes? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Dominicrigg
04-23-2005, 08:02 AM
You guys are a bit confused, markings still appear in normal view for contacts. They appear in a Gods eye view style. Im sure thats what he meant. Switching map to "realistic" doesnt stop them appearing.

KGr.HH-Sunburst
04-23-2005, 03:39 PM
eeehm i dont get it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif
i got the 'no auto map updates' "no Gods eye" ticked
and i NEVER EVER get a radio map contact shown on the map
the only thing is that sometimes i get a convoy or task force contact from BdU
which doesnt show up on the map but only get the grid,speed and heading in the radio report
seems realistic to me or am i missing something?

reumatiib
04-23-2005, 10:09 PM
I am not sure real u-boat captains consdiered reports of ships reported by German aircraft and ships to be GOD'S EYE. Perhaps to someone who wants to pilot captain Nemo's sub in the 1800s, such knowledge would be considered GOD'S EYES. But in the 1940s, over 35 years after the airplane was invented, I don't think they considered those to be GOD'S EYE. Wake up - U-boats found MOST of their ships to sink from radio messages from BdU and from other subs, and from aircraft.

CannonFodda_99
04-24-2005, 12:37 AM
with the no map contact thing, was that in 1.0? coz i only downloaded 1.2 the other day, and before that i got absolutely no little red box contact report things, just "convoy contact report" with a map reference, speed and appoximate bearing.

About the underwater radio thing, i think i remember seeing a documentry, saying the doernitz wanted to be in contact with his wolf packs at all times, and had some sort of extending aerial for the radio to be used underwater, although i may be wrong about this.