PDA

View Full Version : OT: Band of brothers

Ankanor
06-11-2005, 05:27 PM
I just watched it. One of the best... Epecially the part with the lieutenant giving a hand to his men to board the plane, it was so moving... And the night jump over Normandy. A few minutes of sheer horror, even surpassing "Saving Private Ryan" opening scene.
Here it is to all who gave their life and who came from the other side of the world to fight for another people's freedom... Thank you. Bow.

ploughman
06-11-2005, 05:38 PM
It's really very good. My other half got me the set for Christmas. Funnily enough the most moving one for me is the last one, after its all over. That final episode I found to be the one that affected me the most.

There's a quote from Samuel Johnson that goes a little like this "Every man feels a little mean that he was not a soldier."

God bless 'em, and thanks.

Cajun76
06-11-2005, 05:39 PM
We're still doing it.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Sounds like the second episode, since the first was training at Currahee. Watch the whole thing, it's great. Some very powerful moments, and some special guys. Guys like that, who went through that kind of war humble me.

IIRC, some reporters (clueless, of course) were asking the vets which parts were "Hollywooded" for the ratings, and the vets just shrugged and said, "That's pretty much how it was."

BSS_CUDA
06-11-2005, 06:16 PM
Buck Compton and Don Malarky, live out here by me in Portland Or, they speak at alot of events, I've had the Opportunity to meet them both Truly very humble men, <SALUTE> to all the men and women that served thier countries on all sides

Archangel2980
06-11-2005, 07:11 PM
I liked it but seeing Jimmy Fallon driving a jeep kind of through it off tilt for a sec lol.
http://www.nndb.com/people/335/000026257/fallon5.jpg

It just made me think of SNL.

Chuck_Older
06-11-2005, 07:20 PM
That only means you've type-cast the little bugger http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

tplynn
06-11-2005, 07:36 PM
Read the book, "Biggest Brother" about Maj. Winters! The events in the book are a bit diffrent than the HBO series. They had to change some of the events for the series, it's understandable why. It's an amazing story, just a bunch of average guys doing their jobs. But truely they're hero's!! Semper Fi, VMF-214 MudMarine

WarWolfe_1
06-11-2005, 10:42 PM
the series was based on stephen e. ambrose book of the same name. while the hbo telling was the bomb, the book was a much better telling by far...you get to dive deeper in to their thoughts. you see what a "Band Of Bothers" is really about.

Fehler
06-12-2005, 02:45 AM
My favorite scene in the entire series happens when the 101st is moving towards Bastogne and (I think Capt at that time) Winters is greeted by a Lt. that has a limited amount of supplies for the 101st.

As other infantry are retreating, the Lt. tells Winters that things are bleek near Bastogne, and that they (The 101st) may find themselves surrounded very soon.

Winter's reply is merely... "We're paratroopers Lt. We are supposed to be surrounded."

No single line in any movie that I have ever watched captures the spirit of Airborne more than that scene!

Incidently, I was working one afternoon, and had an opportunity to meet a direct relative of Sgt Warren H. Muck whom was killed in Bastogne. I immediately recognized the last name and asked the man if he were any relation to the Sgt Muck of the 101st. He told me that he was Muck's nephew. He also told me that he and his family were gratefully honored by the depiction of his Uncle in the "Band of Brothers" series. He, unfortunately, never met his uncle as he was born long after his death. I thanked him for his family's sacrifice, and merely gave him a warning for speeding. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

If I had never read the books, nor watched the movie, I would have never known a thing about this man. Life is odd at times, dont you think?

Jasko76
06-12-2005, 03:17 AM
I just saw the whole series again - even my wife thought it was the best series she has ever seen, normally her stuff is sh1t like Melrose Place... That says a lot.

For me the most gripping scenes are when they discover the concentration camp... made me wanna cry.

As for books being superior - it's always like that.

Monson74
06-12-2005, 03:35 AM
I liked the episode focusing on "Doc" - I don't remember his name - it was very intense. A guy who was supposed to help his mates while trying hard not to get himself killed - the actor played him really well - you could see he got more & more worn out.

AerialTarget
06-12-2005, 03:43 AM
The reason I did not watch Band of Brothers and never will is that the first scene in the movie is about a guy trying to get in bed with a woman he has just met moments ago, and the second scene in the movie is a rather graphic sex scene. I do not understand why movie makers feel that this is necessary, or adds to the movie, or even doesn't detract from the movie. Yes, real soldiers have sex! No, we do not need to see it. It has nothing to do with war, and is a private matter that does not need to be publicly portrayed, ever. And if you disagree, can you not simply download dirty pictures unrelated to war?

It's altogether like having a graphic scene of a soldier taking a dump. Of course soldiers do that! But it's a private matter that we don't need to see.

OberUberWurst
06-12-2005, 03:45 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Fehler
06-12-2005, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by AerialTarget:
The reason I did not watch Band of Brothers and never will is that the first scene in the movie is about a guy trying to get in bed with a woman he has just met moments ago, and the second scene in the movie is a rather graphic sex scene. I do not understand why movie makers feel that this is necessary, or adds to the movie, or even doesn't detract from the movie. Yes, real soldiers have sex! No, we do not need to see it. It has nothing to do with war, and is a private matter that does not need to be publicly portrayed, ever. And if you disagree, can you not simply download dirty pictures unrelated to war?

It's altogether like having a graphic scene of a soldier taking a dump. Of course soldiers do that! But it's a private matter that we don't need to see.

So 10 hours of excellent film is ruined (For you) by 3 minutes of sex? Okay.

Oh, and death is the ultimate private matter, but a war movie would hardly be complete without it.

You really should watch the series, just dont watch the beginning I guess... Or at least watch the interviews with the real life people that the series depicts. If will give you a renewed appreciation for these great American heros, and the sacrifices they made to remove a most horrid evil from this planet.

Flying_Nutcase
06-12-2005, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by Fehler:
It will give you a renewed appreciation for these great American heros, and the sacrifices they made to remove a most horrid evil from this planet.

Indeed.

And more generically, the series gives an insight into the daily life and death struggle of any soldier from any country at any time in history -- would you agree?

HotelBushranger
06-12-2005, 06:54 AM
I don't remember any sex scene?

The most moving scene in the series is definitely the drop over Normandy. I was scared when I watched that, I was so immersed I was cr@pping my pants and felt like shrivelling in the corner, I was so freaked out. Far out, that's what it would have been like for the blokes, but they still jumped. Respect.

Monson74
06-12-2005, 07:17 AM

Frankly I think war has a lot to do with sex - just look at the semantics utilized in the training of military personel global-wide. Sex & violence are closely related & has always been. Besides sex is part of being human & therefore it is legitemite to show that aspect when depicting the life of soldiers who are also humans. Every time I have read or heard soldiers' stories of war it has been an issue to be intimate before you go to war because it might be the last time in your life you get that chance. I really think it's a shame you've missed out a great series & I think you should give it a second chance - there were scenes which I though was horrible too but to me it was because of the violence & tradegy of war - not the sexual content.

Chuck_Older
06-12-2005, 07:36 AM

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

You have no idea what you're talking about

The first scene is the paratroopers ready to embark on their jump and getting told to stand down.

The "second scene" (which is not shown as the second scene) you describe is much later on in the series, and shows a woman on top of a US paratrooper in bed. She is exposed from the waist up. "Graphic" sex is that depicted in movies such as 9 1/2 Weeks, in which full frontal nudity is shown and the scenes linger on eroticism, which the scene in Band of Brothers certainly does not. Be offended all you like, but get serious with your assesments

You are obviously confusing Band of Brothers with something else, since it's not a "movie"- it's a serial, and at least one scene to which you take such offense isn't even in the series, or at best have been merged with other scenes you find distasteful in your mind.

Since you don't even know how the series starts, and you say that, quote:

"The reason I did not watch Band of Brothers and never will",

It's clear to me that you obviously have no inkling about what you're prattling about, but yet still feel entitled to pronounce judgement on it. Being a prude is your business, but don't preach your feelings based on rumors concerning things you don't know about, please.

You admit you never saw it, and then tell us what happens in something you never saw. Pardon me, but I don't fall for that line of logic easily

Chuck_Older
06-12-2005, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by HotelBushranger:

It's quite short, in perhaps the 4th installment, near the beginning. I don't quite remember which installment. It's about 15 seconds long, and shows nudity acceptable on many beaches in Europe

~Edit-

it's in the 9th episode, "Why we fight" (on the 5th disc, not the 4th), it's about the 5th scene, and lasts a whopping 13 seconds. You see a pair of breasts on the woman, and a man's @ss as he gets out of the sack. (I just popped in all the DVDs and checked) there are gyrations in the scene that are milder than those in the film "Lambada". If that is a graphic sex scene, then I've been guilty of public lewdness http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

tplynn
06-12-2005, 07:48 AM
Wow, didn't watch "Band of Brothers" because of a sex scene!? Sex is a affirmation of life. In other words it let soldiers believe again that there was something worth living for. Those men saw death on a daily basis. Sex helped them believe that life could/would go on. I always though sex was a gift from God but then again I'm Catholic so I know what the Church says. I respect that view. It's too bad you let that stop you from watching one of the greatest stories ever told. I suggest you rent the DVD and fast forwarding through the sex which is only seconds long in an hours long movie. Semper Fi, VMF-214 MudMarine

VMF-Blaze_UG
06-12-2005, 08:23 AM
If you have HBO on demand you'll be able to watch the complete series over and over again...

And you actually can choose a specific episode to view...

I have spent many intriqueing hours watching these....

And actually I think my favorite is when the battalion is ordered to capture and occupy the Eagles Nest...

~S~

Blaze

Cajun76
06-12-2005, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Fehler:
My favorite scene in the entire series happens when the 101st is moving towards Bastogne and (I think Capt at that time) Winters is greeted by a Lt. that has a limited amount of supplies for the 101st.

As other infantry are retreating, the Lt. tells Winters that things are bleek near Bastogne, and that they (The 101st) may find themselves surrounded very soon.

Winter's reply is merely... "We're paratroopers Lt. We are supposed to be surrounded."

No single line in any movie that I have ever watched captures the spirit of Airborne more than that scene!

I have the exact same feeling of awe and respect for guys willing to walk into a situation like that.

One of the situations that really stuck out for me:

Winters had been moved up in the battalion, and that Lt?/Capt? in charge totally FUBARs the assault on the town, and Winters watches his men start dropping from stupidity. He wants to get out there and help so bad, but instead is forced to put Speirs in charge and relieve the idiot. The auguish of watching your comrades die, when you know you could do it better just ripped at my guts.

Btw, I think best performance has got to be Blithe (Marc Warren). That guy just nailed it.

The medic was Eugene Roe (Shane Taylor), playing a hometown kid from good ol Louisiana. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

@ AerialTarget: What ever you watched, it wasn't HBO/Tom Hank's Band of Brothers. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

tplynn
06-12-2005, 09:49 AM
Pacific Band of Brothers is coming soon. Hanks and Speilberg are starting production on the Pacific version of "Band of Brothers." Not sure on the details yet but I've heard one episode is going to be based on E.B. Sledge's book, "With the Old Breed." Sledge was a 60mm motarmen with the 5th Marines. Read his book it's one of the best books to come out of the PTO. Also C. Eastwood has started production on "Flags of our Fathers" about the Mt. Suribachi flag raisers. Both should be awesome and bring attention to what the Marines went through in the PTO. I'll be watching Band of Brothers over and over until then. Semper Fi, MudMarine VMF-214

Chuck_Older
06-12-2005, 10:04 AM
Those projects are going to cause quite a stir- the producers will be accused of being anti-Japanese, I'm afraid

horseback
06-12-2005, 01:21 PM
Those of you who liked Ambrose' Band of Brothers will probably like Currahee! and Seven Roads to Hell by Donald R. Burgett, who served with Company A of the 506th Parachute Regiment, 101st Division from D-Day through the end of the war. He wrote them right after getting home, and forgot about them for about twenty years, before getting Currahee! published.

Very intense, first-person accounts of what a PFC in the paratroops went through, and it confirms much of what Ambrose described.

cheers

horseback

dragonhart38
06-12-2005, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by tplynn:
Pacific Band of Brothers is coming soon. Hanks and Speilberg are starting production on the Pacific version of "Band of Brothers." Not sure on the details yet but I've heard one episode is going to be based on E.B. Sledge's book, "With the Old Breed." Sledge was a 60mm motarmen with the 5th Marines. Read his book it's one of the best books to come out of the PTO. Also C. Eastwood has started production on "Flags of our Fathers" about the Mt. Suribachi flag raisers. Both should be awesome and bring attention to what the Marines went through in the PTO. I'll be watching Band of Brothers over and over until then. Semper Fi, MudMarine VMF-214

It's interesting to note that a few of the troopers attempted to volunteer for the marines but were rejected for various reasons such as colour blindness etc. They were nonetheless for it as they proved to be great warriors.

danjama
06-12-2005, 02:35 PM
Ive had Band of brothers on DVD box set since it was aired in england, i think in 2002/3, not sure, i treasure it. One of th best programmes ever made, and the bonus DVD with it was even better, featuring two hours of interviews with all survivors. I have the deepest respect for every one of them, and wish people from my generation would to(Im only 17), its a shame that millions of people do not undestand our past. As soon as i watched the series, i also bought the book which easily surpassed it. Then i bought many of Ambroses books, including Wild Blue and Citizen Soldiers. Both are excellent. Now i have over 50 books to do with all aspects of ww2. Still buying them. I just cant seem to learn enough. And to think, i dont even do history at school.

sledgehammer2
06-12-2005, 05:05 PM
tplynn, thanks for the kind words about E.B. Sledge. You are correct, he will have a very strong presence in "The Pacific". Out of repsect for Bruce McKenna I will not say any more than that, but I will tell you Sledgehammer will be in more than one episode.

Regards,
Sledgehammer2

Feathered_IV
06-12-2005, 07:35 PM
The reason I did not watch Band of Brothers and never will is that the first scene in the movie is about a guy trying to get in bed with a woman he has just met moments ago, and the second scene in the movie is a rather graphic sex scene. Yes, real soldiers have sex! No, we do not need to see it.

Hang on, hours of brutal violence and depravation is fine but two young people beta testing the act of creation is not?

Imagine if you spent your efforts trying to suppress peoples urge to hate one another, instead of smothering their need to love.

Sheesh http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

tplynn
06-12-2005, 08:53 PM
Anti-Japanese? I don't think that will happen. I think they'll show the Japanese as the fierce warriors that they were. The Japanese were just as patriotic as the Americans were. War is an unfortunate and complex event. I don't think anyone will purposely disrespect the Japanese. The war in the Pacific was very brutal. Both sides didn't take prisoners. The point of such a movie/series is to show the men that fought just like "Band of Brothers" did. Band of Brothers was about the friendships that develope during war not the fighting. Marines in the Pacific were kids from all over the USA. Just average guys trying to survive and do the right thing. I just feel that it's time the sacrifices that Marines made for they're country is brought the worlds attention. With movies like "Saving Pvt. Ryan" and "Band of Brothers" the PTO has been somewhat overlooked. I think the producers will avoid politics as much as possible. Average Marines didn't care much about politics either. They only cared about not letting their buddies down and getting home alive. I never had the honor of meeting E.B. Sledge. I admired him greatly and his book really hit home. Being a Marine I completely related to him and admire his honesty. I've had the honor of meeting veterans from almost all the pacific battles. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Hanks and Spielberg do with PTO band of brothers! Semper Fi, MudMarine VMF-214

PBNA-Boosher
06-12-2005, 09:09 PM
I loved the series for the episode about the French woman in Bastogne. It made me feel so sad, but it was so true. War takes away from us the things we love, but it also reminds of of the little things we miss in life, so if we live through it, there is more to appreciate.

Lucius_Esox
06-13-2005, 05:48 AM

Absolutely outstanding man,,,,,,,, priceless http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Sturm_Williger
06-13-2005, 06:05 AM
I was absolutely blindsided by the episode where they come upon the concentration camp.

Was watching the series for the first time and had reached the end of the previous episode when my housemate walked in. She doesn't normally watch this kind of thing, but decided to stay for a bit.

An hour later we stumble out of the lounge, both crying like babies. Strong stuff and somehow more moving than Schindler's List.

That series has it all.

HoldSteady641
06-13-2005, 06:48 AM
Yeah, truly great series. I have the utmost respect and gratitude for every man and woman who endangered their life for freedom in Europe and around the globe. As being dutch and having grandfolks who lived through the war, my country was liberated by Americans, English, Poles and Canadians (omitting the odd-fellow from somewhere else), so they come first to mind in this, but this gratitude applies as much of course to Russians and the other common wealth nations.

My favorite episodes were in Holland, Market Garden and so on, though the single best scene IMO is indeed the one mentioned before, we're paratroopers, we're supposed to be surrounded!

Talking about sex and war, Funny to know that suppressed sexual feelings in the broad sense, like our deepest anger, are symbolized in dreams as guns..

dadada1
06-13-2005, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HotelBushranger:

It's quite short, in perhaps the 4th installment, near the beginning. I don't quite remember which installment. It's about 15 seconds long, and shows nudity acceptable on many beaches in Europe

~Edit-

it's in the 9th episode, "Why we fight" (on the 5th disc, not the 4th), it's about the 5th scene, and lasts a whopping 13 seconds. You see a pair of breasts on the woman, and a man's @ss as he gets out of the sack. (I just popped in all the DVDs and checked) there are gyrations in the scene that are milder than those in the film "Lambada". If that is a graphic sex scene, then I've been guilty of public lewdness http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then it's not the first scene in the movie as stated by the original poster. Maybe it would be better not to watch Band of Brothers on the grounds that some of the soldiers are injure/die horrifically. What strange morals/standards some people have.

dadada1
06-13-2005, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by dadada1:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HotelBushranger:

~Edit-

it's in the 9th episode, "Why we fight" (on the 5th disc, not the 4th), it's about the 5th scene, and lasts a whopping 13 seconds. You see a pair of breasts on the woman, and a man's @ss as he gets out of the sack. (I just popped in all the DVDs and checked) there are gyrations in the scene that are milder than those in the film "Lambada". If that is a graphic sex scene, then I've been guilty of public lewdness http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then it's not the first scene in the movie as stated by the original poster. Maybe it would be better not to watch Band of Brothers on the grounds that some of the soldiers are injured/die horrifically. What strange morals/standards some people have. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>