PDA

View Full Version : ships steering Q?

walsh2509
04-08-2005, 11:26 PM
As a novice at this sim, I was wondering if ships turn is accurate.

I was in the NA to the NW of Ireland at night when I spotted a C2 Cargo ship (6300+) the sea's were heavy (11metre a second winds) when I popped up some 700mts behind it with my bow dead on the stern of this ship (it was doing 7kts).

I had to wait for my torps to be loaded so I went along at the same speed as the C2 and kept a 700m+/- distance from it.

Now I missed with 3 of my shots, and this is what I want to know! (being a novice and knowing nothing about ships) the best way I can discribe it is the following...

The C2's Bow is a 12 and its Stern at 6, I with my Bow dead in line with its Stern am 700M+/- behind it, I have a look through the P/Scope at my target. As I watch it is turning course, here is the point I want to know!

Should a C2 doing 7kts in heavy seas(wind 11mts a sec)Have its Bow at 12oclock/Stern at 6 to me then within 6/7seconds (real time) have its Bow at or just going past 2 O'Clock?

It seemed at bit fast, but as I said, I know nothing about ships and what they can do?

Thanks.. walsh2509!

walsh2509
04-08-2005, 11:26 PM
As a novice at this sim, I was wondering if ships turn is accurate.

I was in the NA to the NW of Ireland at night when I spotted a C2 Cargo ship (6300+) the sea's were heavy (11metre a second winds) when I popped up some 700mts behind it with my bow dead on the stern of this ship (it was doing 7kts).

I had to wait for my torps to be loaded so I went along at the same speed as the C2 and kept a 700m+/- distance from it.

Now I missed with 3 of my shots, and this is what I want to know! (being a novice and knowing nothing about ships) the best way I can discribe it is the following...

The C2's Bow is a 12 and its Stern at 6, I with my Bow dead in line with its Stern am 700M+/- behind it, I have a look through the P/Scope at my target. As I watch it is turning course, here is the point I want to know!

Should a C2 doing 7kts in heavy seas(wind 11mts a sec)Have its Bow at 12oclock/Stern at 6 to me then within 6/7seconds (real time) have its Bow at or just going past 2 O'Clock?

It seemed at bit fast, but as I said, I know nothing about ships and what they can do?

Thanks.. walsh2509!

Frederf220
04-09-2005, 01:06 AM
6/7 kts. turning 2/12ths of a circle (1/6, 60 degrees) in 6-7 seconds means they could turned 360 degrees in 36-42 seconds, under a minute)

That seems a little fast.