PDA

View Full Version : The Della Rovere & de Medici

vileinsanity
11-12-2009, 03:47 AM
Dear Ubisoft,

We have most certainly noticed some of the figures you have included in the game, including founders of our Royal House.

I have also been told the game concludes in the year 1503. Of course Rodrigo Borgia (later Pope Alexander VI) died in that year, and was the the arch-enemy of the Della Rovere's at that time. (Felice Della Rovere once threatened to drown herself rather than be captured by his men at sea). It was in that same year that our second Pope was elected to the papacy (Guiliano Della Rovere/ Julius II).

We are very excited about this game, and the narrative it offers. While realizing it is obviously a fictitious game (i.e. Leonardo as Ezio's Bonds-tyle "Q"), I am personally hopeful that the inclusion of the Pazzi Conspiracy does not bring the distortions of the past into the modern day. The Conspiracy and its immediate aftermath set off a chain of events that would cost both the Della Rovere and the Medici dearly for the next forty years. It should be remembered, however, that thereafter our two families frequently intermarried, and there is not a Della Rovere or Medici alive today who is not close kin to the other.

Assassin's Creed 2 looks to be an exhilirating and fictitious experience.

Yours Sincerly,

Crispin Della Rovere

Phobos14
11-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Welcome to the forums.

LoL

cgdemon894
11-12-2009, 03:41 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Choopius
11-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Crispin Della Rovere

I don't really understand the point of this post.

Also, it would have been infinitely cooler if it ended, Crispin Auditore da Firenze.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Prol33tariat
11-12-2009, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by vileinsanity:
Dear Ubisoft,

We have most certainly noticed some of the figures you have included in the game, including founders of our Royal House.

I have also been told the game concludes in the year 1503. Of course Rodrigo Borgia (later Pope Alexander VI) died in that year, and was the the arch-enemy of the Della Rovere's at that time. (Felice Della Rovere once threatened to drown herself rather than be captured by his men at sea). It was in that same year that our second Pope was elected to the papacy (Guiliano Della Rovere/ Julius II).

We are very excited about this game, and the narrative it offers. While realizing it is obviously a fictitious game (i.e. Leonardo as Ezio's Bonds-tyle "Q"), I am personally hopeful that the inclusion of the Pazzi Conspiracy does not bring the distortions of the past into the modern day. The Conspiracy and its immediate aftermath set off a chain of events that would cost both the Della Rovere and the Medici dearly for the next forty years. It should be remembered, however, that thereafter our two families frequently intermarried, and there is not a Della Rovere or Medici alive today who is not close kin to the other.

Assassin's Creed 2 looks to be an exhilirating and fictitious experience.

Yours Sincerly,

Crispin Della Rovere

Well my friend, just cause the families made nice does not mean it was not for a reason. your not the only one with noble blood around the world, and unfortunately written history not family knowledge usually overcomes.

Other than that I hope the written history of some of the most openly corrupt popes and noble families in history is not overshadowed by the FICTION of a GAME.

Arriverdeci,

Cicero Ignatius Aurelius Dugavi

Crash_Plague
11-12-2009, 07:09 PM
posting in somewhat epic thread

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

vileinsanity
11-12-2009, 10:20 PM
[QUOTE]I don't really understand the point of this post.QUOTE]

The point is merely to illustrate that European families can sometimes have short memories, yet cling to age-old grudges.

For example, when Pope John Paull II visited Greece in 2001, hundreds turned out to protest the Venetian sacking of Constantinople in 1204!

It is, more than anything, an olive branch to some brethren out there who will no doubt play this game.

Movies & Media routinely misrepresent history in such as way that it becomes, in the minds of those not intimate with the subject matter, an internalised truth. Mel Gibson's Braveheart is a somewhat notorious example.

A game where you literally go around killing eachother's relatives, no matter how deviated from the facts, has the potential to evoke certain emotions, all of which are negative. I'm just trying to pre-empt that by pointing out how this history, bloody though it is, should really be bringing us together, rather than driving us apart.

Yours Sincerly,

Crispin Della Rovere

Choopius
11-12-2009, 10:44 PM

The point is merely to illustrate that European families can sometimes have short memories, yet cling to age-old grudges.

For example, when Pope John Paull II visited Greece in 2001, hundreds turned out to protest the Venetian sacking of Constantinople in 1204!

It is, more than anything, an olive branch to some brethren out there who will no doubt play this game.

Movies & Media routinely misrepresent history in such as way that it becomes, in the minds of those not intimate with the subject matter, an internalised truth. Mel Gibson's Braveheart is a somewhat notorious example.

A game where you literally go around killing eachother's relatives, no matter how deviated from the facts, has the potential to evoke certain emotions, all of which are negative. I'm just trying to pre-empt that by pointing out how this history, bloody though it is, should really be bringing us together, rather than driving us apart.

Yours Sincerly,

Crispin Della Rovere

I think that I am safe in declaring this the greatest thread in the history of this forum. Crispin, welcome to the forums. I wish I could trace my lineage like you obviously have, and how awesome would be to be a descendant of a Pope as well as some folks that literally changed the course of world history!!

Prol33tariat
11-13-2009, 09:09 AM

Yours Sincerly,

Crispin Della Rovere

I see, and perhaps I could of been at that protest too (aurelius), perhaps the historical fruits were too tempting to be plucked. It is unfortunate that your House sits in such a disputed niche during the time, as we can clearly observe Your house has produced more than one traitor, and more than one marytr for the many republics, before the Italian union, and even after provided statesmen to almost every nation, I believe it was a Della rovere whom was ambassador to The emperor Charles II of the Holy Roman Empire during King henry VIII reign(1520-1560), and had a large hand in keeping imperial interests pointed at France rather than the protestant reformist Henry. So we can thank your family for the modernization and reform of the anglo main religion. And basically going against the pope to perpetuate change, as the pope wished for the bowl of excommunication be passed on henry by francis king of france because The emperor (supposedly the popes hand of might) would not go to war with henry, (His uncle) so he asked his half brother francis (king of france) instead.

these little victories we have to keep and know, for just as my name is like "smith" in parts of the Hellenic world, as is yours, Della Rovere is one of the most common names of Italian origin, Same as Medici, and nearly 80% of these are thought to be "pretenders", so suffice it to say, if you can trace 4 generations back, consider yourself lucky, cause 99% of the world cannot.

Ourselves (dugavi-Aurelius) can trace it back to the Spanish war of succession and the Austrian difficulties during the Hapsburg feuds for the holdings between the senior and junior house. In 1812 My great great great grandfather married La Marquis Du Anjou, Margarette Du Valois-Bourbon....the rightful king of France today, Phillipe duke of anjou, is my second cousin once removed, and he likes to play call of duty when he is not yachting.

Titles are a thing of the past, everyone was a noble or a Sir or a count or a marquis or a duke at some point, and all can claim lineage back to something...you gotta let it go, just as I see my christian greek emperor of a patriarch (marcus) as a saint, many people claim he was a sodomite and a murderer, that the christian state was invited to protect roman interest, not spirituality...I have to just ask myself, and the answer is no I do not believe that, If there is any part of The past in us as genetic memory may suggest than it has to have some bearing on the people we turn out to be.

There,

Ciao,

Cicero Aurelius

Coolgerb
11-13-2009, 09:24 AM
Oh shi-

We'll be assassinating this guy's ancestors http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

JudgeQwerty
11-13-2009, 08:02 PM
Almost all European royals are descended from Rodrigo Borgia, yet none of them have stepped up to defend his reputation in this game. Of course, the Della Roveres gave us the Cistine Chapel and the Borgias gave us the Banquet of Chestnuts...

On another note, I'm pleased to see that the Della Roveres survived the Second World War. I was under the impression the entire family was slain by Mussolini's fascists.

ProjectXigis
11-13-2009, 08:28 PM
Wait a sec... you're a part of a royal family? Literally?

Sorry for not replying to to any questions or such... but that statement hung in my mind.

Prol33tariat
11-14-2009, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by ProjectXigis:
Wait a sec... you're a part of a royal family? Literally?

Sorry for not replying to to any questions or such... but that statement hung in my mind.

No, my cousins in france, the Pentecotes, and the Valois, hold on to their Orleans titles, from before the fall of the monarchy of the bourbons, but basically they are just investors with old money, whom have a lot of old paper work that says they cannot be stripped of said titles for all eternity, unless it is by the monarch or his/ her heir whom bestowed them.

basically they are hated by most of France. But no, personally Im born with no tittles, no hereditary titles, but We traced our lineage back to a relative of the Aurelii of the byzantine empire, as well as my paternal side marrying into the Valois, in the 1820's.

But yeah, my great great great grandfather was a noblema, bestowed by Denmark, even though he was born in Italy. I being born In sicily, even if I did have some claim to hereditary titles, is abolished upon my birth, "any citizen born in our free republic must be of equal stature" basically that means that if your born in Italy, your born on level ground, other than family wealth.

than i moved to America, where they punish the use of titles with prison time, the only thing I hold onto from our past and our signatures is the hooked X in our names, has something to do with Aurelius, as well as the house of Canmore, whom we also are related to through Scotland in the 1870's.

ProjectXigis
11-14-2009, 10:24 AM
Hmm, interesting, interesting... What can I say about my father's side of the family? Their d*cks.

spazzoo1025
11-14-2009, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Crash_Plague:

toasting in somewhat epic bread

Mitro-Blade
11-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by spazzoo1025:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Crash_Plague:

toasting in somewhat epic bread

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Grilling in a somewhat epic barbeque

Phobos14
11-15-2009, 12:07 AM
In order for it to be a barbecue you must be using smoke on the meat in some manner. You cant just throw meat on a propane or charcoal grill and call it barbecueing.

Man that angers me when people dont know what a true barbecue is

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Coolgerb
11-15-2009, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Prol33tariat:
than i moved to America, where they punish the use of titles with prison time,

...What? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

JudgeQwerty
11-20-2009, 04:35 AM
Thought I'd come back to this post and reveal that while no Della Rovere makes an onscreen appearance, Pope Sixtus is mentioned as supporting the Pazzi conspiracy with multiple priests as major conspritors. Later Girolamo Riario is a behind the scenes enemy in Forli.

Prol33tariat
11-20-2009, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Coolgerb:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Prol33tariat:

...What? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

in certain regions, one that comes to mind is what used to be new orleans, basically you could be thrown in jail and fined for using titular honors like, comte, marquis, and so on, even if you have been born into them.

Coolgerb
11-21-2009, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Prol33tariat:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coolgerb:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Prol33tariat:

...What? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

in certain regions, one that comes to mind is what used to be new orleans, basically you could be thrown in jail and fined for using titular honors like, comte, marquis, and so on, even if you have been born into them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hm, I'm gonna try calling myself Emperor Gerbz here in The Netherlands, lets see what happens.

...Apart from being thrown in the lunatic bin, that is.

Prol33tariat
11-22-2009, 01:42 PM
considering you have a king, that could be quite dangerous, as you still have a noble class in holland.

But than again do something awesome and maybe someday you will be a count of whatever town your from.

Teeem3000
11-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Very interesting read. Did you, and OP ofcourse, play or enjoy the game? I think that it would be quite amazing to have a link to that point in the past(by family), and sort of be able to "experience" it interactively through the gaming medium.