PDA

View Full Version : Mossies Kick A$$

249th_Maico
08-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Arguably there cant be a better bomber killa in the whole series. I know the 262 is faster and the Yak 9 has a great gun. The Mossie is fast stable and four cenrally located machine guns and 20mm cannons. Try it against some He-111 or Ju-88 formations. Its just about as much fun as you can have with your pants on.

249th_Maico
08-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Arguably there cant be a better bomber killa in the whole series. I know the 262 is faster and the Yak 9 has a great gun. The Mossie is fast stable and four cenrally located machine guns and 20mm cannons. Try it against some He-111 or Ju-88 formations. Its just about as much fun as you can have with your pants on.

ImMoreBetter
08-04-2007, 02:08 PM
You wear pants when you fly?
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

F22-NightHawk
08-04-2007, 02:53 PM
lol

mortoma
08-04-2007, 02:54 PM
I like the Fw-190As for that. Also the Me-163 Komet against Fortresses. The only thing you can fly with impunity against all those .50 cal gunners. But nothings separates wings from fuselages better than an A model FW, especially with 30mm guns. But 20mms will do the job well too.

VMF-214_HaVoK
08-04-2007, 04:48 PM
When it comes to killing bombers I must tip my hat towards the BF-110. I love the Mosquito as well and it delivers a tremendous punch. I wish the mossie had a little more speed at sea level though.

JG52Karaya-X
08-04-2007, 04:56 PM
If you respect the Bf110 for its anti-bomber potential then you'd be just watching in awe what a Me410 does to your ordinary bomber box

Take your G2, increase its speed by a good 60km/h at alt, increase its defensive armament from a feable twin pea-shooter to a pair of remote controlled heavy machine guns and give it outstanding visibility for the pilot to all sides and you've got yourself a Me410 Zerstöer!

*drool*

Choctaw111
08-04-2007, 05:02 PM
Yes, a 410 would be nice to have...and also a faster Mossie.

mortoma
08-05-2007, 02:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VMF-214_HaVoK:
When it comes to killing bombers I must tip my hat towards the BF-110. I love the Mosquito as well and it delivers a tremendous punch. I wish the mossie had a little more speed at sea level though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Oh, I dunno..The 110 does have a lot of firepower depending on the package you strap to her but she's too slow and unmanueverable to be of much use as a bomber destroyer. And because of that, it's easy to get picked off by the AI defensive gunners. I need to be able to pull ahead of bombers quickly and do slashing attacks on them from weird angles. Hard to do with the 110!! Maybe impossible??
I'd have to question the Mossie in this area too but I have not tired it as a bomber destroyer yet.

VMF-214_HaVoK
08-05-2007, 04:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mortoma:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VMF-214_HaVoK:
When it comes to killing bombers I must tip my hat towards the BF-110. I love the Mosquito as well and it delivers a tremendous punch. I wish the mossie had a little more speed at sea level though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Oh, I dunno..The 110 does have a lot of firepower depending on the package you strap to her but she's too slow and unmanueverable to be of much use as a bomber destroyer. And because of that, it's easy to get picked off by the AI defensive gunners. I need to be able to pull ahead of bombers quickly and do slashing attacks on them from weird angles. Hard to do with the 110!! Maybe impossible??
I'd have to question the Mossie in this area too but I have not tired it as a bomber destroyer yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In its respective era I highly disagree. I crush even Hurricanes and Tomahawks all the time with it as well online. You make slash attacks at bombers not park your arse right behind them. Even B-25 does not stand a chance.

S!

VMF-214_HaVoK
08-05-2007, 04:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I need to be able to pull ahead of bombers quickly and do slashing attacks on them from weird angles. Hard to do with the 110!! Maybe impossible?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You do not think its possible to use the BF-110 as a B&Z fighter? I can make some tracks if you like.

S!

BSS_CUDA
08-05-2007, 06:52 PM
the Mossie has great guns, but thats where it ends. its not fast, is probably one of the worse rolling aircraft in game. and I thought the 38 had a bad DM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif I had a bad case of gas last week while flying one, I cracked some *** and one of my wings came off http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blush.gif hell it sheds ailerons in the blink of an eye, get hit but a 50 cal OOPS there goes the tail. it does turn decent it can flat turn with a 190. but if he reverses your are totally screwed because the Mossie like to continue on its original heading

Skunk_438RCAF
08-05-2007, 07:13 PM
Lets not forget people that the Mossie we have in game as flyable is a 1942 variant. Against contemporaries, its still quite fast and packs quite a punch. Heck, its faster than the 110G2 we have. And to all the fighter jocks here, lets also not forget that the FB was never meant to fight with FW190s or Bf109s. That was left to the Spitfires.

When I dont fly the Mossie as a low level bomber, I fly it much like Havok describes, as a slash attacker against bombers. Those 4 20mm's really chew up those He111's and Ju88's.

OD_
08-06-2007, 02:57 AM
~S~
I think you've all forgotten about the Beaufighter...it's faster than the Mosquito in game, same 4 20mm Cannon packed in the nose, but our in game one has 4 0.5inch machine guns as well! That really tears a bomber a new ar$e hole!

OD.

Skunk_438RCAF
08-06-2007, 03:13 AM
The Beaufighter? Faster than the Mosquito? In this game? It may be tougher than the Mossie, but faster? The Mossie's top speed at sea level in game is 544km/h, and the Beau's 508km/h...Plus the Beau we have is from 1944!

ImpStarDuece
08-06-2007, 03:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OD_:
~S~
I think you've all forgotten about the Beaufighter...it's faster than the Mosquito in game, same 4 20mm Cannon packed in the nose, but our in game one has 4 0.5inch machine guns as well! That really tears a bomber a new ar$e hole!

OD. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like heck it is.

The Mossie is some 15 mph faster at sea level, and progressively faster with altitude.

The Mosquito we have is a little screwy: its faster than an early FB Mk VI with a Merlin 21 or 23 and saxophone exhausts should be, which is what it represents, nominally.

However, its not quite as fast as a Mossie with Merlin 25s and multi-ejector exhausts (about 5-10 mph down at most heights), which would be more representative of the type, particlarly in the daylight strike bomber role it is predominantly played in.

Further more, the Beaufighter carries all ordinance externally, meaning that it is hampered badly if you want to use it as a strike aricraft (although the presence of rockets somewhat makes up for this).

The Mossie can crusie quite happily at over 300 mph at 6,500 feet (best height for the engines) then dive in on the target, drop bombs, straff and run away at a sustained 340 mph (which is quicker than a Spitfire LF Mk IX, for those of you that care).

Just remember to keep your speed up in the Mossie and don't expect to run away from anything.

Unlike the later war Marks, with their high altitude Merlin 60 serise engines, the Fighter Bomber marks could generally be caught by enemy fighter in terms of straight line speed.

Don't confuse the sim environment with the real world situation. In the sim we fly single engined fighters at very high power setting almost all the time and are hyper agressive in attacking our pery.

In the real world Mosquitos, thanks to their very efficient engine cooling systems, could cruise as fast or faster than most opposing single engine fighters and could usually evade with a few turns or by ducking into the overcast.

OD_
08-06-2007, 04:06 AM
Well at sea level I can get far more out of a Beaufighter than I can out of a Mosquito. blasting along at 330mph while a Mosquito manages 300mph, just my experience. I didn't specify any height.

I know how it carries it's ordnance and I will still get over 300mph out of it with Rockets attached. Just think you are forgetting about it as a bomber destroyer...which it is fantastic at.

OD.

leitmotiv
08-06-2007, 05:58 AM
Bf 110G with four MG151s (wish we had the six variant) is a flying buzzsaw. Four free-firing 151s concentrated in the nose. If you are clever, you can stand off and rake 17s and 24s wingtip to wingtip beyond .50 range. Add two MK108s for close-in dirty work. Brawling with the heavies in this aircraft is one of my favorite pastimes.

I hope we have a Beau I for night work in BOBSOW. The Mosquito arrived after the He 111 was taken off UK ops, and it is overwhelming against a Ju 88.

Stew278
08-06-2007, 08:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ImpStarDuece:
The Mossie can crusie quite happily at over 300 mph at 6,500 feet (best height for the engines) then dive in on the target, drop bombs, straff and run away at a sustained 340 mph (which is quicker than a Spitfire LF Mk IX, for those of you that care).

Just remember to keep your speed up in the Mossie and don't expect to run away from anything.

Unlike the later war Marks, with their high altitude Merlin 60 serise engines, the Fighter Bomber marks could generally be caught by enemy fighter in terms of straight line speed.

In the real world Mosquitos, thanks to their very efficient engine cooling systems, could cruise as fast or faster than most opposing single engine fighters and could usually evade with a few turns or by ducking into the overcast. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was flying a DCG campaign on the Norway map recently using the 109G6 Late. A lot of the missions were intercepting Mossies at ~5000m altitude. I'd usually get one head-on pass and then have to do a full throttle chase down to get another shot. They weren't outrunning me, but because I had to deal with engine overheats the rate of gain was very very slow. Even my wingmen and the other flight were only slowly catching up to them, so it isn't purely my lousy flying that allowed them to keep the distance. On some of the missions I wouldn't catch up until they were halfway home. Pretty fast for such a big target.

Aaron_GT
08-06-2007, 10:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I was flying a DCG campaign on the Norway map recently using the 109G6 Late.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And often the target for the 109 in WW2 would be a faster B.IV at more like 8000m!

Skunk_438RCAF
08-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Man...I could cruise at 330mph on the deck with a full load of bombs in a Mossie the other night...so if you cant get more than 300mph out of her your throttle must be stuck. And again, against its 1942 contemporaries, its a tough adversary.

VMF-214_HaVoK
08-06-2007, 06:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OD_:
Well at sea level I can get far more out of a Beaufighter than I can out of a Mosquito. blasting along at 330mph while a Mosquito manages 300mph, just my experience. I didn't specify any height.

I know how it carries it's ordnance and I will still get over 300mph out of it with Rockets attached. Just think you are forgetting about it as a bomber destroyer...which it is fantastic at.

OD. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got track? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

SeaVee
08-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR5FBSCQRwE

VMF-214_HaVoK
08-07-2007, 12:02 AM
Good video Seavee. I want this bad boy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ-a8U1QWUw&mode=related&search=

OD_
08-07-2007, 04:08 AM
Not a track as such but I made a video of Beaufighters smashing bombers to bits.

I'll find the link!

http://webzoom.freewebs.com/79vrafhanger/Beaufighter%20...8K%20%27Emily%27.zip (http://webzoom.freewebs.com/79vrafhanger/Beaufighter%20Vs%20H8K%20%27Emily%27.zip)

Friendly_flyer
08-07-2007, 04:32 AM
Yup, Mossie rock, but the Beaufighter is in a league of its own.

p1ngu666
08-07-2007, 05:09 AM
they gave us the worst vairent, pretty much

http://premium1.uploadit.org/pingu666//mossiedoc1.jpg

http://premium1.uploadit.org/pingu666//mossiegraph.jpg

plus lacking ammo, should be 240+ cannon, and 1000 for mg guns

VMF-214_HaVoK
08-07-2007, 03:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by p1ngu666:
they gave us the worst vairent, pretty much

http://premium1.uploadit.org/pingu666//mossiedoc1.jpg

http://premium1.uploadit.org/pingu666//mossiegraph.jpg

plus lacking ammo, should be 240+ cannon, and 1000 for mg guns </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya I know and I sure wish I knew why. And I want the 6lb gun! Perhaps after SoW.http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

S!