PDA

View Full Version : BIG trouble with FB+AEP+PF

Chuck_Older
03-13-2005, 10:20 AM
I'm having HUGE amounts of trouble with the sim

I wanted to double check some things in the campaign I'm about to release, so I played the sim...why isn't my splash screen displayed? Another member assures me it's OK, he double checked, it works fine for him. For me, not so much. So I spend a few hours trying to figure out what's wrong.

I also still have the screwy radio command problem, too.

I determine that my install of the sim is sooo screwy that I should re-install. I'll have to d/l from v3.02 up, but what the heck (I know I have those other patches, just can't seem to find them)

So I un-install FB+AEP+PF, and re-install, up to v3.01m

Well, not only do I not have the correct radio comms *still*, and my speedbar is odd (yes I know how to configure it), but the sim takes about 2 minutes to shut down now

No other software exhibits this behavior. Not any games, nothing does this.

I'm going to d/l the patches and bring it back to v3.04m and see what happens

ClnlSandersLite
03-13-2005, 10:24 AM
Above me here. But you do know that you only need 3.03 and 3.04 right? (3.03 is cumulative)

Chuck_Older
03-13-2005, 10:27 AM
yup, v3.01m-> v3.03M
and then v3.03m-> v3.04m

I know I have the .exe's for them, I just can't find them. I still have the 3.01m exe, and I don't delete that kind of thing, ever

still, that's like 76MB, I'll have to d/l them overnight!

MEGILE
03-13-2005, 10:31 AM
The game takes a while to close for me too, and more often than not, there will be an error while closing.

steve_v
03-13-2005, 10:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
...why isn't my splash screen displayed? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Are you talking about the carrier?

or this?http://home.earthlink.net/~viner45/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/play.jpg

or the actual loading screen?

Chuck_Older
03-13-2005, 02:40 PM
It's not a standard PF splash, it's a splash I have made that is viewed when you load the campaign I have made, and then whenever one of my campaign missions load.

Just the other day, it worked great, every time. Then I changed it to something new, and suddenly it would only be displayed if I started my new campaign, and only played that one- if you choose a new one, or leave campaign mode for any reason, it reverts back to the PF splash.

In other words, if I shut down the sim and come back to it, my special splash is gone (although it is still in the US campaign folder), replaced by the standard PF splash when loading a mission, or even if I leave career mode and come back to the same campaign that was displaying my custom splash during the same session, the splash reverts to the standard PF splash. It's a one-shot deal right now- the custom splash screen is displayed once, and that one time is your first play session.

I tried another user-made static campaign that I know has a custom splash that works, and the same thing happens- you see the special campaign-dependant splash once, only on the first play session. It will work like a charm- as long as you never stop playing new missions in the user-made campaign. If you stop, you get the PF splash (F4U with flaming A6M) from then on.

Since it happened with campaigns other than mine, and since it just started happening Friday, when I changed the previously functioning custom splash (which worked properly every time you played, no matter if it was the first session or not), it must be something with my install.

Only, so far, nothing has changed now that I have re-installed. I still also get 'para1' in radio comm menus in-flight wjile flying US campaigns that shipped with the sim.

I have to wait till tonight to d/l the last two patches again, I haven't found the ones that are here on my PC somewhere

Very wierd. In fact, I have had very wierd things happening with FB for a while now

I may be deciding to do a system restore to factory spec, because something just isn't right and I doubt it's simply FB's fault

SabreF-86
03-14-2005, 12:32 AM
You aren't the only one Chuck. I finally got round to installing PF, merged with FB and AEP. Mine also now takes a couple of minutes to shut down. If I crash during a mission, and hit escape, it goes to the screen to select quit mission, and when I click on it, it takes a couple of minutes before anything happens. The screen locks up, and you can hear the background sounds, then finally it will go back to the post mission brief. From there, if you hit quit, it again takes a couple of minutes to get back to Main. Once there the delay is minimal between clicks and actions.

I also notice that I am locking up more frequently since I installed PF, both as single play and on line. I have patched to 3.0.4m, and can go on line, but one one server (Janus 71?) I lock up almost immediately. I have played with some success on JW Hooters, but still lock up or get a black screen occasionally.

I will be adding another half gig of ram in the next couple of days, and then probably getting a seperate Video card, but I am afraid that these problems will still exist.

Sabre

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
03-14-2005, 01:40 AM
Shot in the dark here chuck but Have you tried updating the games java engine? Its not a garunteed fix but if your install is as borked as you say it is I don't think it would hurt to try?

I have some instructions on how to do this at home and if you like I can post em here for you when I get my lunch?

Either way Good luck hope you get it fixed

bird_brain
03-14-2005, 05:13 AM
Have you looked to see if you have more than 1 background.mat file in your US & GB files?

I had some issues with CTDs, minor lock ups on loading screens, the same issue with the para1 / flight1 and did a clean install of FB/ACE/PF/BOE/3.03/3.04. Nothing changed.

My system problems were from having FB on a seperate hard drive and I had a page file on both HDs. I set the page file to 0 on the 2nd hard drive and it almost eleminated it.

If you have already done a new install, just be sure to check each file before you copy it back into your US directory. Since you have PF, you only need the background_AVG.tga file and the altered background.mat file. (and your campaign files of course)
Try this one; http://jyarbrough.homestead.com/background.mat

Some of the patches seem to be more stable than others. 3.01 was a little touchy for me, but 3.03 was solid as a rock. Now 3.04 is giving me issues and I can only hope that the next patch will follow the pattern nad be nice and stable. It is OK since I only have to wait 2 weeks! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

flyingscampi
03-14-2005, 05:23 AM
When you un-installed FB/PF did you delete the Il-2 program folder afterwards? There might be all sorts of junk left behind.

Are you using IL-2 MAT Manager?

Chuck_Older
03-14-2005, 07:37 AM
bird_brain:

I thought of that. I removed all backgrounds, .mat and .tga, from the US folder completely, same result http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

scampi:

I'm doing that this afternoon, I have all the d/ls now and I backed up my skins and missions folders http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif Hopefully there will be an improvement. I don't have MATmanager

Balrog:

I have not the slightest clue as how to do that http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Chuck_Older
03-14-2005, 02:45 PM
OK, good news http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">annhilated</span> my FB/AEP/PF install

Every shred of every byte of info, deleted

I reinstalled, on my DVD drive which is non read/write, it's read only

The sim shuts down in about 3 seconds now as opposed to 2 minutes, and it seems to boot faster, and all missions seem to load faster

The best news is that for the first time ever, I am seeing correct radio comm commands in the radio menu for USAAF aircraft http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I haven't dumped my mission files in yet, but things look good http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
03-15-2005, 01:08 PM
ooops my Bad Chuck it turned into a real crapy day at work and I just didnt get the time to log on again and explaine.

Any how I see you got around to a fresh install but just so I don't get accused of not delivering on my promises here is how to do what I was talking about

Warning I take no responsability for borking your installs and this is just posted as an FYI

that said read on

Ok there was more to this than I thought (I put my hand up here as I never continued following that thread)

However I spoke to a member of the German Ubi forum and he enlightend me as to how the fix is supposed to really work.

1. Firstly I am not promising that this will work for every one. some of you probably already have machines that can more than happily cope with FB/AEP/PF as is. However those of you who like me maybe have a more low end machine may find this worth the effort.

2.before you do this I stongly recomend that you back your folder up as I don't want anyone coming whining to me that they borked their install cos they never followed the instructions properly.

3. Ok now that the disclaimers are outta the way try this. Firstly run IL2 and do a frame rate test on the track Blackdeath. Its the one with the il2's attacking the airfield and convoy although any track with heavy plane activity (especially the new pacific tracks with all the heavy flakk) will do. Make a note of the frame rates your getting as this will enable you to see if the following 'fix' has worked or not.

4. Now download the new release of sun java. As per the instructions in my previous post. You want the third lone down from the list called J2SE 5.0 JRE

Get it here http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp

Install this file (note this was all that the english thread told you todo as far as I am aware and that in itself will only improve your browser performance)

5. Ok once installed you need to navigate to the folder C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0 within this folder you wil find two folders called 'lib' and 'bin'

6. Copy the contents of the 'bin' folder excluding the folder called client. THATS THE ENTIRE CONTENTS OF THE BIN FOLDER EXCEPT THE FOLDER CALLED CLIENT. And then paste these files into the following directory of your il2 game.

E:\Programme\Ubi Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles\bin

Mines on the E: drive yours mabe on the C: whatever. It may ask you if you wish to overwrite and to this you simply respond yes to all. (you backed up your folder anyhow didnt you ? hmmm?)

7. Ok next return to the C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\client directory and copy the three files you find there. And these should be pasted into

E:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles\bin\hotspot

Again it may ask you if you wish to overwrite and again that is what you should do

8. Ok last bit. Finaly go to the 'C:\Programme\Java\jre1.5.0\lib' directory and (yes you guessed it ) copy the ENTIRE contents, folders files everything. This you should then paste into the following directory.

E:\Programme\Ubi Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles\lib

Again it may ask you if you wish to overwrite some files and again you reply yes to all.

9. Thats it now re-run your track and see how much of an improvement in frame rate you get. As said before not every one gets the goods but that is most likely those that spent a fook load of money on g-cards and ram. This is no substitute but it may delay the inevitable for a short while. Either way see what you think it mad a shed load of difference to me and 'black death' only stutters for me now if I up my g settings to the max.