PDA

View Full Version : Does engine heat management vary based on geographic location of map?

Tallyho1961
10-22-2004, 04:54 PM
Lately I've been flying offline missions in the Hurricane Mk I and have noticed something interesting. I've been flying missions on a European map and a desert map. On the desert map, I find it nearly impossible to control my Hurricane's engine heat, whereas on the European map, it's entirely manageable. On the desert map, one mission requires quite a long flight to reach the point of engagement and I find myself forced to slouch along, barely above stall speed, throttle in the 30's and 40's, radiator flaps wide open from takeoff, and the minute I throttle up to engage - the overheat warning comes back on and I start to cook my engine. My question is: can it be that the map is programmed to affect the engine? In this case, desert heat over-stressing the machine's cooling ability. And if so, what techniques are available to overcome this? I've tried everything I can think of and nothing seems to work.

Tallyho1961
10-22-2004, 04:54 PM
Lately I've been flying offline missions in the Hurricane Mk I and have noticed something interesting. I've been flying missions on a European map and a desert map. On the desert map, I find it nearly impossible to control my Hurricane's engine heat, whereas on the European map, it's entirely manageable. On the desert map, one mission requires quite a long flight to reach the point of engagement and I find myself forced to slouch along, barely above stall speed, throttle in the 30's and 40's, radiator flaps wide open from takeoff, and the minute I throttle up to engage - the overheat warning comes back on and I start to cook my engine. My question is: can it be that the map is programmed to affect the engine? In this case, desert heat over-stressing the machine's cooling ability. And if so, what techniques are available to overcome this? I've tried everything I can think of and nothing seems to work.

Cajun76
10-22-2004, 05:21 PM
Basically, certain maps are hotter or cooler than others, and it affects perpormance. Altitude also affects the temp. Try using 80% fuel mix. Play with your prop pitch a bit, I'm not a Hurri expert, buy you may find a setting around 70%-95% that might let you cruise better at reduced throttle.

I know your on a mission, but if you can get above 3000m, the air is actually a bit cooler, just like RL. There are some Hurri aces that can help much more than I, but maybe this will help piont you in the right direction. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Bearcat99
10-22-2004, 05:30 PM
In a word yes. You will notice you will overheat more on a desert map than say on the winter Ardennes map.

Tallyho1961
10-22-2004, 05:39 PM
This product never ceases to amaze me. If there was a Pultizer prize for computer "games" IC Maddox would be a lock. On a related note, this buzz about people using illegal copies of Pacific Fighters is disgusting. When I think about how many dollars are spent on hardware, the price of a software product like IL2/AEP/PF is trivial. I'm not sure I've ever gotten more value out of anything I've ever purchased in my life. May their ripcords be gnawed by rats.