PDA

View Full Version : anyone have problems w/ planes attacking during time compression?

bootysnapper69
04-10-2005, 08:49 AM
anyone have problems w/ planes attacking during time compression?

and if so what are some of the differences
for example, is 128x a good or bad time compression when a plane appears to attack?

whats the highest time compression u can do and still deal with planes?

Ronin.nj
04-10-2005, 09:36 AM
i sit with my finger on the P then Z key when on 1000 speed as its the quickest reaction,to be honest ive only seen one plane so far.but the bugger scarred the crappers out of me he was there in seconds it happened so bloody fast,lol i kept the lads down till theyed near suffocated.that was 1939 late,i got the feeling he saw me as an destroyer turned up near where i had been.

Amnio
04-10-2005, 12:39 PM
If you have the stealthmeter enabled in the difficultysettings, then if it starts flashing red when you're out travelling you know you've been spotted. Usually by aircraft if your watchcrew haven't spotted anything else around. In a couple of seconds they'll be dropping D/C on you so better man the guns or dive real quick if you see it coming.

marioh99
04-11-2005, 09:14 AM
I typically use 512x time compression.
At that speed, the planes are usually right on top of me and typically get 1 free shot at my uboat before I can do anything. In 30+ patrols over 2 careers, I have not had 1 plane score a direct, or even close, hit on my uboat with that first free shot.

I have collided with other ships in bad weather and got sunk by destroyers at 512x before I even realized what was happening.

jhelix70
04-11-2005, 09:39 AM
I have the same problem, usually I run at 256 or 512. The first sign of an aircraft attack I get is the little window popping up showing the plane dropping a bomb on my sub! They havent hit yet thought. I think the time compression should automatically go to one with a plane in the area to give you a chance to defend or dive. It does so for ship contacts, why not for planes??

alichino
04-11-2005, 10:32 AM
I've been sunk twice, in the same location, just north of Scapa Flow, by the little buggers and thier one free shot. The first one landed on the Flak gunner that I had just managed to get out there. The second one flooded the engine compartment to quickly for me to stop it.
I've taken to running as deep as possible in that area during the day.

By the way, I was standing on deck when the flak gunner got hit...nice ear ringing effect and blurred vision.

archer49d
04-11-2005, 11:08 AM
I got DCd on the surface by planes about 50 nm southwest of Tampa. I immediatly had critical flooding in the forward torpedo room, so I put as much of my crew as possible to work on that, then stayed on the surface in full reverse (hoping that helped) firing my AA guns till I brought down all 3 Catalinas, then watched my bow slip under the waves and stay low in the water for the entire trip back to Brest. Hull integrity 12% for the 10000+ KM trip, and I made it.

BaneSixEcho
04-11-2005, 11:18 AM
It has to be their speed that gets them the free shot at you under time compression. They're traveling 10 times the rate of any surface ship? Maybe more? Multiply that by the rate of time compression and the game just can't bring you down to 1x speed in time.

If I'm in an area that I know is full of planes (AM32 for instance) I keep the flak gun manned during the day, compression to 128x and my finger on the pause button at all times. Thankfully 99% of the pilots can't drop a bomb within 50m of me anyway. I have lost crew members to a plane that made a strafing run on me though.

Antrodemus
04-11-2005, 12:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It has to be their speed that gets them the free shot at you under time compression. They're traveling 10 times the rate of any surface ship? Maybe more? Multiply that by the rate of time compression and the game just can't bring you down to 1x speed in time. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, it's definitely that... which kinda makes sense, as, even if you pummel the >minus< key to drop from 1024 or 512, it can take a good few seconds, and usually repeated key-thumps to get the bugger to respond.

This is nothing new however, it also happened in AoD, although it would be handy if the plane-detection circle was made to be much larger than that used for ships..

A.

Amnio
04-11-2005, 02:59 PM
Yes. that does make sense, but at the same time it doesn't. How can the game, which is controlling the planes I might add, be unable to turn down timecompression in time when it knows for sure when an airstrike is imminent?

When I'm travelling timecompressed on the surface I usually have a finger on the bridgebutton, that automatically sets compression to 1x and bring me to a position I can see what's going on from. All in one button.

Still the planes often get first strike. Especially fun when I spot a plane, man the gun, start shooting at it as it's lining up for the attack, THEN the "plane spotted" dialog pops up blocking my controls until I can press one of its options. By that time the plane is long gone and my crew none the wiser.