PDA

View Full Version : Duxford airfield under threat.

Bowmiester
08-29-2006, 03:53 PM
Duxford airfield is under threat from building developers who plan to build a petrol station on the M 11 that is in line with final landing approach path for the runway, JUST SEEN IT ON THE LOCAL NEWS. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

VF-51-Dart
08-29-2006, 03:58 PM
Idiots.

smokincrater
08-30-2006, 01:46 AM
AAARRRHHH! Welcome to the Homes VS Airfeild(racing circuit)debate. People want homes and pollies like giving it to them.They are always developers wanting to shut down large open areas like airfeilds and turning them into high profit boxed in homes.

Side note: Hoxton Park in Sydney has a petrol station at one end of the runway.

CHDT
08-30-2006, 03:53 AM
A simple consequence of the massive immigration agenda of the current government. More people, more homes needed. Sad to see Old England disappearing.

lbhskier37
08-30-2006, 04:35 AM
Near my hometown there is a rifle/shotgun range outside of town. The range has been there as long as I can remeber. Then some brilliant person decided to buy a chunk of land next to it and build a house. He probably wasn't there a year before he started his campaign to get the range shutdown because "it was unsafe" that close to his house. Luckily my town is one that is pretty attached to its range, so the army corps of engineers was brought in to remodel the range forcing you to shoot your rifle through big culvers, so there was now to possible way of shooting over his land. He is lucky, I think it would've been more dangerous for him if the range DID get shut down!

cmw1980
08-31-2006, 10:33 AM
It'll soon be time to leave this rapidly deteriorating country! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

jocko417
08-31-2006, 10:38 AM
Same thing happens over here except with new homes around existing airports. New subdivision is planned. 30 ft high sign is posted on site warning potential buyers about aircraft noise nearby. Everyone nods at the sign, buys the houses. Move in, immediately phone the municipality complaining about all the aircraft noise...

flyyinmick
08-31-2006, 12:01 PM
That's ridiculous. There's a gas station and a McDonalds just down the road!! The only possibility for saving it is that there are a lot of people who have a lot of money invested in Duckpond. It also brings a lot of money into the area in the form of tourism, including mine all the way from California. I've been going to Legends every year for the last five!!
Hopefully someone local will start an airport supporters association. Mr. Grey, perhaps?
The airport at which I learned to fly was under threat here in Los Angeles and was saved with the help of AOPA and a group of dedicated airport supporters. Once the people in the area were properly informed with respect to the real benefits a local airport can bring, the projected shopping centre went away.
As long as we have no more ham-fisted idiots stacking up aeroplanes on the weekends, that approach might work.

Banger2004
08-31-2006, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by cmw1980:
It'll soon be time to leave this rapidly deteriorating country! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Sad, but for more and more of us, possibly true. However, I must try to stick it out for longer, as this is still a great country, and I'll probably struggle to find someone else who'll be daft enough to take me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

LEBillfish
08-31-2006, 02:30 PM
My husband and I have spoke of this often, he mostly regarding his families area of Tennessee and all of Michigan, I the part of Tenn. I remember and other assorted places I've revisited.......

Even near where we live in Michigan, the Baja and Jamaica has changed so terribly much.....

Yet, life goes on.....Every little place, crack in the curb of a street, anything, even often historical places will fade and pass as we will. Old Battlefields and bases for sure, and sadly most worthy of change so much unused space quite often nothing like how it was when important.........

60 years past......Note the word "past"....It's the present, making room for the future. No matter how much many of us including myself hate it....Sad but true.

-HH-Quazi
08-31-2006, 06:22 PM
It would be nice if the Parliment in Britian would instigate something like we heve here in the US labeling landmarks as historical and therefore they can't be disturbed or tore down for any reason.

smokincrater
08-31-2006, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Banger2004:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cmw1980:

Sad, but for more and more of us, possibly true. However, I must try to stick it out for longer, as this is still a great country, and I'll probably struggle to find someone else who'll be daft enough to take me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Come to Termora, Country New South Wales.
we have a great aviation museum and every aircraft in that meuseum flys. Check us out. www.aviationmuseum.com.au (http://www.aviationmuseum.com.au)

drapis
09-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by CHDT:
A simple consequence of the massive immigration agenda of the current government. More people, more homes needed. Sad to see Old England disappearing.

I don't quite see the connection between this new petrol station and Britain's foreign policy. Truth is that I've never been to Duxford, but I'd like to see the place, perhaps during next year (which I plan to spend in Britain, thanks to it's new EU members friendly policy... ) - I can understand that UK has its problems with this wave of immigrants, but this seems hardly the case...

danjama
09-01-2006, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by CHDT:

Your so damn right. As the great Peter Griffin would say, it really grinds my gears!

danjama
09-01-2006, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by drapis:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CHDT:

I don't quite see the connection between this new petrol station and Britain's foreign policy. Truth is that I've never been to Duxford, but I'd like to see the place, perhaps during next year (which I plan to spend in Britain, thanks to it's new EU members friendly policy... ) - I can understand that UK has its problems with this wave of immigrants, but this seems hardly the case... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You couldnt understand the scale of the problem unless you lived here.

leitmotiv
09-02-2006, 01:53 AM
Speaking of massive influx of immigrants---I live in Kosovo, er, California. I lived in London 11 years ago---had no idea things had changed so much. So right, you can't know the situation without being there yourself. Regrets, gents. I loved going out to Duxford. One winter morning I was there I was the lucky viewer of an absolutely spectacular aerobatics show by one of their late-model Spitfires. Arcing rocket-like climbs and steep plummeting dives. I was amazed---it went on for about half an hour. After the Spit landed and was bedded down, the museum people told us the reason for the amazing display was a jammed landing gear---the pilot was trying desperately to throw it down using G force!

HotelBushranger
09-02-2006, 02:02 AM
We got that sorta thing happening here at Jandakot airport in WA. The airport (the busiest in Australia - we train all Asian students) has been around 60+ years, yet these ******bag residents come in, move in and then complain about the bloody noise! Now the airport owner is thinking of moving further down south! Grrr really gets me mad http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

smokincrater
09-02-2006, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by HotelBushranger:
We got that sorta thing happening here at Jandakot airport in WA. The airport (the busiest in Australia - we train all Asian students) has been around 60+ years, yet these ******bag residents come in, move in and then complain about the bloody noise! Now the airport owner is thinking of moving further down south! Grrr really gets me mad http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif Remember all the **** that went on about the third runway at Sydney Airport! But Sydney has lost quite a number of motor racing and aviation centers. Amaroo Park gone, Hoxton Park going, Oran Park going, Camden in the balance, RAAF Richmond in the balance. Not to mention a lot of industry has left town. And what happens if Federal Labour wins office and builds a second international airport at Bradgerys creek. Those new housing developments at Bringelly would be STEAMED! Being right under the approach!

Banger2004
09-02-2006, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by smokincrater:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Banger2004:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cmw1980:

Sad, but for more and more of us, possibly true. However, I must try to stick it out for longer, as this is still a great country, and I'll probably struggle to find someone else who'll be daft enough to take me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Come to Termora, Country New South Wales.
we have a great aviation museum and every aircraft in that meuseum flys. Check us out. www.aviationmuseum.com.au (http://www.aviationmuseum.com.au) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry about the late reply, just got back to the board. Sounds interesting, wife would like to visit Oz, so might treat ourselves. Chance to visit my long lost uncle in Mount Isa and my brother in NZ http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Banger2004
09-02-2006, 04:29 AM
'Yet, life goes on.....Every little place, crack in the curb of a street, anything, even often historical places will fade and pass as we will. Old Battlefields and bases for sure, and sadly most worthy of change so much unused space quite often nothing like how it was when important.........

60 years past......Note the word "past"....It's the present, making room for the future. No matter how much many of us including myself hate it....Sad but true.'

True words LEBillfish, and to a point I agree.

There is an WW2 airfield near me that I sometimes visit when in a thoughtful mood, to think on things and reflect. Over the years it has become very battered, despite occasional attempts to use it for F1 motor racing (in the '50s), industry etc, and currently it is home to a microlite flying club.

I think of it as a memorial to those who worked, lived and perished there (there were one or two accidents, along with operational losses).

Now, however, despite time having healed the scar the airfield made on the landscape, a local tycoon has moved in and is trashing the runways and so on to make hardcore for building roads, ostensibly to 'give the moorland back to nature' but we all know it is to make yet more money.

Incidentaly, I remember reading a short while ago that the Government/construction industry is looking very closely at removing many of our airfield sites for just the same reason, to return the sites to nature and for building purposes. Apparently they have calculated that there are hundreds of thousands of tons of aggregate available. I am all for recycling, but this is to me a kind of blasphemy.

Perhaps I am too mired in the past, but I feel we should look after our history, and if Duxford is badly affected by the proposed works, then how long before we lose that?

Platypus_1.JaVA
09-02-2006, 03:51 PM
I went to duxford this year and all I can tell it is surrounded by large agricultural fields. Why not buy some land from one of the farmers and move the petrol station a couple hundred feet?

leitmotiv
09-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Too sensible---may start a trend.

Platypus_1.JaVA
09-03-2006, 05:23 AM
I just remembered what they did with Chicago Meigs airport http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

smokincrater
09-03-2006, 07:08 PM
Form a surrport group get yourselves on television(yes I can spell it). http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Make a row of it. "Save our history" or something like that on placards.Come on the few didn't submit. Start the spark that ignites the fire. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

Geez got to be careful about rabble rousing in this day and age!

tomtheyak
09-07-2006, 03:01 PM
In response to Billfish, I agree, can't stop progress and all that, and when the famous old RAF airfield at West Malling went under the Bulldozer part of me was pragmatic regarding its fate - a single airshow and a soon to be relocated RAF gliding contingent doesn't justify the massive acreage going to pot.

Duxford however is very different: its the official airpower/aerospace dedicated wing of the Imperial War Museum, the national military heritage preservation machine.

Also and perhaps far more importantly it is a - if not the - centre for warbird preservation, and perhaps more importantly operation movement here in Britain; both the Fighter Collection (TFC - H-75/P-39/P-40/P-51C/P-51D/P-47G/F4F/F6F/Beaufighter/Gladiator/Bearcat/Spitfire V & XIV) and the Old Flying Machine Company (OFMC - Spitfire IX/P-51D/AT6) plus Historic Aircraft Company (HAC) and the flying memorial to the USAAF in Europe B-17 Sally-B plus many ancillary services to these and upcoming companies call Duxford their home - many aircraft restored there are sent around the world; indeed most of the rebuilt Spitfires on the planet owe something to Aircraft Restoration Co also based out of dear old DX.

The airshows there are the greatest in the country - Flying Legends probably in the world and this kind of ignorance with regards to throwing a ruddy petrol station under the main flightpath is the kind of petty cr@p the entire world of Warbird preservation can do without; not everybody is gonna understand or care about what we do, but if we gotta fight for it then by bloody hell we'll put up a mean resistance!

mortoma1958
09-09-2006, 09:22 AM
Sadly, it doesn't even take increasing populations to ruin a place. Take the state of Indiana, where I used to live and grew up. As a state, it's population has remained steady and even dropped a good bit at times in the last 30 years. But developments and subdivisions are constantly going in all over the place all over the state!!! Gobbling up land that used to be fertile farmland which Indiana is famous for.
Also lost is what few woodlands Indiana has left. Only 18% forested now.

Seems that people just like to redistribute themselves. If their old neighborhood gets run down or is invaded by people they don't like, they opt to move a few miles away outside of town to escape. And real estate developers are only too happy to oblige them!!! They are just reshuffling themsleves around. This would be true in England too no doubt, even without an influx of immigrants I'm afraid. More people will exacerbate the situation though.

RAAF_Furball
09-09-2006, 11:04 AM
And it's the same here in Australia with Point Cook (our first Airbase) and Tyabb (a small field where the Police refuel). http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Developers buy the land, people buy/build the houses and then ..... hang on ...... bit noisy here ....... "CLOSE THAT AIRFIELD !"

Good Grief !!!!!!!

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

Texas LongHorn
09-09-2006, 02:51 PM
Hey Guys, I must be missing something here. I had the pleasure of visiting Duxford some ten years ago and loved it! My question is this; why would the building of a petrol station affect the Airfield? The military fields around here (in Washington State, USA) are surrounded by not only Gas Stations, but strip malls, movie theaters, you name it <ggg.> I always figured if an AC goes down, you've got a LOT more to worry about than hitting an isolated building. All the best, LongHorn

smokincrater
09-11-2006, 12:16 AM
Well if you do crash you can buy the latest in First Aid Kits!

cmw1980
09-13-2006, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by LEBillfish:
My husband and I have spoke of this often, he mostly regarding his families area of Tennessee and all of Michigan, I the part of Tenn. I remember and other assorted places I've revisited.......

Even near where we live in Michigan, the Baja and Jamaica has changed so terribly much.....

Yet, life goes on.....Every little place, crack in the curb of a street, anything, even often historical places will fade and pass as we will. Old Battlefields and bases for sure, and sadly most worthy of change so much unused space quite often nothing like how it was when important.........

60 years past......Note the word "past"....It's the present, making room for the future. No matter how much many of us including myself hate it....Sad but true.

I know what you're saying but thats not my point. Im in my early twenties and am all for progress, but for nearly the last ten years Tony Blair and his Labour cronies have slowly wiped clean all sense of history in this country. In fact if you are lucky enough to find anyone my age with any idea of British history they will probably have a warped view and say we should be ashamed of it. History is no longer tought properly in schools and completley glossed over. The army and police attend gay parades but children are being told in schools the R.A.F were as bad as the nazis in ww2 because of the bombing campaign (I suppose they should have sorted it out with a nice chat over a cup of tea instead?!!!)
O.K, Im ranting now, sorry.

cmw1980
09-13-2006, 06:03 AM
P.S, just so I'm not misunderstood (I know one can easily be in here!!!), I don't hate anyone from any minority group, or anyone for their beliefs or lifestyle. Except Blairites. And traffic wardens. Oh, and ...nevermind. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

-HH-Quazi
09-13-2006, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by cmw1980:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LEBillfish:

I know what you're saying but thats not my point. Im in my early twenties and am all for progress, but for nearly the last ten years Tony Blair and his Labour cronies have slowly wiped clean all sense of history in this country. In fact if you are lucky enough to find anyone my age with any idea of British history they will probably have a warped view and say we should be ashamed of it. History is no longer tought properly in schools and completley glossed over. The army and police attend gay parades but children are being told in schools the R.A.F were as bad as the nazis in ww2 because of the bombing campaign (I suppose they should have sorted it out with a nice chat over a cup of tea instead?!!!)
O.K, Im ranting now, sorry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have got to be kidding. The RAF as bad as the Nazis...being taught to your children...the RAF are heros! The RAF is the only thing that prevented Hitler from completing his invasion plans. If it weren't for the RAF, no telling the atrocities the people of Britian would have experienced. If it were me and I had children being schooled there, I would home school them over this. Sorry m8. That statement just got my gord and rialed me up a little.

RAAF_Furball
09-13-2006, 09:14 AM
Noooooooooo .............

A coupla days after I post about the uncertain future of Point Cook, it takes a nasty turn - EVICTIONS of tenants !

Refer ==> http://www.furball.catlink.net/mustang.html

smokincrater
09-13-2006, 04:11 PM
Far be it for me to wade into the middle ground! But as far I am concerned terror bombing of non-military personel is a war crime whether it be German, British, Isreali, Lebanese, American or who ever(I can hear the rumblings of ASIO agents kicking down my door at the moment so I must be brief) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif. However one must view history with the morals of the time. The crews of the Untied States Army Air Force, Luftwaffe and Bomber Command were tasked with horrible job of killing without discrimation and history(reguardless of legal issues) should treat them kinder than that of their political masters.

But in reguards to Point Cook sorry Furball the cats out of the bag! The Horward Government wants to SELL SELL SELL. We`ve got airlines, we`ve got banks, We`ve got health funds, we`ve got national treasures and they`ve all got to go because the national government says it is too stupid to run them properly. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Services_2m
09-14-2006, 10:04 AM
I wont comment about the bombing because that's off topic, but regards Duxford - this would be a tragedy if it was forced to close. As it is the problem exists because the runway was shortened to make way for a road. This is the reason for so many crashes as the planes are over-running the shortened runway. Naturally this is a bigger problem for the larger aircraft, that already suffer under peculiar EU insurance regulations.

Right now I suspect there are more ex-RAF planes flying in South Africa than there are in Britain, and this is a terrible shame. There really has been a concerted effort by Tony and his chums to erase pride from British history this past ten years.