PDA

View Full Version : Question about external hard drives

Dingzoom
04-09-2007, 01:06 AM
I've noticed that the prices on external hard drives are very resonable and I was just wondering if I could transfer my il2 1946 onto an external & then if I had to reformat my normal hard drive ( Western Digital Rapter 10000 rpm) I could just reinstall the whole game from my external drive.
I know nothing about how this would work. Would I have to put my Xp Home on the new drive? would a 7200 rpm be compatible with my rapter ? I don't have a lot of stuff on my computer, but it is a pain in the butt to have to try & remember all the stuff to put back on after a reformat & reload of XP ome...

Dingzoom
04-09-2007, 01:06 AM
I've noticed that the prices on external hard drives are very resonable and I was just wondering if I could transfer my il2 1946 onto an external & then if I had to reformat my normal hard drive ( Western Digital Rapter 10000 rpm) I could just reinstall the whole game from my external drive.
I know nothing about how this would work. Would I have to put my Xp Home on the new drive? would a 7200 rpm be compatible with my rapter ? I don't have a lot of stuff on my computer, but it is a pain in the butt to have to try & remember all the stuff to put back on after a reformat & reload of XP ome...

Akronnick
04-09-2007, 02:06 AM
I assume you want to be able to preserve your skins, control profiles, campaigns, etc. after a reformat?

She short answer is yes, but I wouldn't try playing directly on the external drive.

What I do is back up my entire IL-2 folder to a second partition of my hard drive. In the event a reformat becomes needed, I re-install Il-2 from the original DVD, patch the new installation, then copy the back-up folder to the newly installed folder.

In actuallity, all you need to back up is any forlder that gets altered by mods or progress,
(skins, missions, users, etc.) but I find it's too hard to keep track of every thing that needs to be kept up-to-date, so I just copy the whole shebang from time to time.

R_Target
04-09-2007, 06:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Akronnick:
What I do is back up my entire IL-2 folder to a second partition of my hard drive. In the event a reformat becomes needed, I re-install Il-2 from the original DVD, patch the new installation, then copy the back-up folder to the newly installed folder. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here. With ease of installation of '46, it's quick and painless.

TgD Thunderbolt56
04-09-2007, 07:22 AM
Users folder, skins folder and even my conf.ini get backed up every other month or so along with my TS info.

As R_Target said, the ease of install of '46 along with my backups make installation easier than it's ever been...which = teh good.

Stackhouse25th
04-09-2007, 07:52 AM
those SATA 3gb/s drives if u have an external port on ur mobo might be a good option. worth checking into

Dingzoom
04-09-2007, 02:04 PM
I think u guys are telling me to get a 2nd partition & back things up on a CD... Well, that's beyond my computer abilities. I even bought the Norton Ghost thing but, I could never get it to work. I save things to a cd & then later it says the cd is empty or it doesn't read the cd. just one problem after another.
I just thought that an external hard drive would be easier & a better way to go...

Taylortony
04-09-2007, 02:24 PM
I have a the 360 gig version of this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000EXZB0M/ref=nosim/track-21103-21/

so simple to install and set up ( really) IT THEN SHOWS IN MY COMPUTER AS ANOTHER DRIVE.

it allows you to treat it as just another hard drive, nothing hard to do. for your game I would leave it as iss on what ever drive it is on but simply drag and drop the game folder on to the external drive, it will copy all your files....... then when you need to reboot do a clean install on c drive and drag it back and drop it onto C.... it should simply overwrite the clean version........ I can't fault mine its quick and ohhh so easy to use. you will need to format it, but the software that comes with it is point and click.

best add on i bought.

Akronnick
04-09-2007, 07:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dingzoom:
I think u guys are telling me to get a 2nd partition & back things up on a CD... Well, that's beyond my computer abilities. I even bought the Norton Ghost thing but, I could never get it to work. I save things to a cd & then later it says the cd is empty or it doesn't read the cd. just one problem after another.
I just thought that an external hard drive would be easier & a better way to go... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't need a second partition, the external drive will serve the same purpose.

I just don't recommend trying to PLAY the game from the esternal, as the USB or whatever conection is probably not as fast as the internal.

For use as a back-up, an external should be just fine.

Dingzoom
04-09-2007, 11:42 PM
Yeah Akronnick, that's what I was looking for.
I just want to put my 1946 along with all of those dang skins & extra missions onto the external hard drive & then park it. If I have a problem & have to reformat xp Home I can just drag it from the external & put it back on my normal "C" drive & crank up the game & fly away...
things have to be really simple for me...lol..

How about 1946 stuff in the registry...Does the drag & drop of the main il2 1946 folder in programs pull those files in also?

Akronnick
04-10-2007, 12:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dingzoom:
Yeah Akronnick, that's what I was looking for.
I just want to put my 1946 along with all of those dang skins & extra missions onto the external hard drive & then park it. If I have a problem & have to reformat xp Home I can just drag it from the external & put it back on my normal "C" drive & crank up the game & fly away...
things have to be really simple for me...lol..

How about 1946 stuff in the registry...Does the drag & drop of the main il2 1946 folder in programs pull those files in also? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure, but I suspect not, hence the need to install from the disc and patch before replacing your old files. I've done this half a dozen times now and never had any problems.

Having the install on one DVD makes this procedure so much easier than pre-4.07 when a new install involved five disks and multiple patches. Last time I re-installed it took less than half an hour.

Dingzoom
04-10-2007, 11:16 AM
o.k. that makes sense.
So, by transferring my game folder I would be saving all of the game addons, such as, skins, campaignes & changes to the config file.
1) after a reformat & reinstall of XP Home I would reinstall 1946 from the cd & then I could go to my external drive & transfer the fully saved game with all of the add-ons. They would overwrite & bring things back to where they were.

So far my system is doing fine, and I really don't need to do a reformat now. however, it has been slowed down a bit from that last bunch of MS addons from SP2.
Generally I do a reformat about every 9-12 months just to clean things up.

FluffyDucks2
04-10-2007, 01:26 PM
There is nothing that is needed by the game in your registry...you do NOT need to re-load the DVD simply copy your game folder to the external HDD, then if needed you can simply pop it back in your onboard HDD (c:, D:, or whatever) anytime you want http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif It will play perfectly especially if you have the option to use it without the dvd present http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Taylortony
04-10-2007, 03:19 PM
I would add have you got USB 2 on your pc as its a heck of a lot faster transferring via it, if not you can pick up a card for under a tenner that you just plug in, i did http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Dingzoom
04-10-2007, 10:24 PM
I have eight slots for usb conx... three are not being used.

Is usb 2 a specific type of usb? if so, I most likely don't have it...

Dingzoom
04-10-2007, 10:28 PM
I ordered that western digital 160 gb hardrive from New Egg today... I should get it in a few days...I'm looking forward to trying this out.

Taylortony
04-11-2007, 01:31 AM
USB 2 is second generation and is a faster transfer rate, you notice the difference, if your pc is not that old chances it has them, check in your manual etc.

AS you used newegg these are some of the cards

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...scription=usb+2+card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=usb+2+card)

http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm

Dingzoom
04-11-2007, 09:39 AM
I looked in my Universal Serial Bus Controllers & I have this:

Intel(R) 82801G(ICH7 Family)USB Universal Host Controller 27C8, 27C9, 27CA, 27CB and USB2 Enhanced Host Controller 27CC.

So I guess I have both 1.1 and 2.1 usb controllers.