PDA

View Full Version : guys what maps do i put on my server is it Missions Dog Fight Maps or Missons Multi..

Daytraders
03-15-2006, 06:51 AM
guys what maps do i put on my server is it Missions Dog Fight Maps or Missons Multiplayer im not sure as there are alot of great custom missions out there, and one more question i am useing pf merged install 4.04 i also see alot of great single player missions and campaigns but some in title say for merged 4.01 install, will these still be ok on the latest install i have, thx

ps: anyone know where to get some great 1 v 1 or 2 v 2 mp maps for just me and my friend to practice on, or is there such thing as just 2 player coop maps. thx

dbillo
03-15-2006, 07:05 AM
It's really whatever you and your friend want to do. Dogfight maps have the advantage of being able to join and rejoin at any time, whereas a coop can only be joined at the start. If you crash or get shot down, the mission must be restarted. OTOH, the coop maps can have AI aircraft, and moving ships and vehicles, whereas the dogfight map can only have static objects and only live pilots flying airplanes.

It's possible, but not likely, that a merged mission or campaign would be compatible with your stand alone PF.

There are some multiplayer coop and dogfight maps included with your game installation. Look in \Missions\Net\dogfight\Pacific Fighters, and in \Missions\Net\coop\Pacific Fighters. You can load them when you run your server. You could also make your own by using the Full Mission Builder.

A coop mission could, in theory, have all AI planes, or just one live player, and certainly two or more are no problem. If you run a coop with more than two flyable planes, and you and your friend just fill two seats, then AI will take over the remaining seats automatically.

Daytraders
03-15-2006, 08:39 AM
thx for great reply m8, so is Missions Dog Fight Maps or Missons Multiplayer maps exactly the same thing or different.

dbillo
03-15-2006, 10:38 AM
I'm not familiar with your terminology: "Missions Dogfight Maps" and "Missions Multiplayer Maps". Are you using the integrated server in the game, or are you running a dedicated (separate) server? I'm only familiar with the integrated server.

Multiplayer can be either dogfight or coop or even campaign. The difference applies to the way the map (mission) is designed and to the way the game server runs the mission. To use the integrated server, you select "Multiplay" from the main menu, then you have to choose the type of server: coop, dogfight, or campaign. That choice determines the set of folders that you can choose missions from.

I just noticed that I made a mistake in answering one of your first questions. I see now that you are running the merged 4.04, so any 4.01 mission or campaign should run. Some timings might be off in coops due to changes in flight models, but other than that they should be fine.

Troll2k
03-15-2006, 01:31 PM
If you are running a dedicated server then you must use dogfight maps.If you are hosting a coop from within your game then use the multiplayer mission map.

Daytraders
03-15-2006, 01:50 PM
"Missions Dogfight Maps" and "Missions Multiplayer Maps". i was refering to how they list them on websites for us to downolad, there are so many choices i just dont know where to put them all, so i single player mission u cant play that online with a friend only if there made as dogfight map correct ? if thats the case i dont see many for download on websites, but i see plenty of campaigns,coop,missions, and i take it none of them are for player against player correct, and if im looking for player against player maps is it only dogfight maps i have to download. and thx for replys

ps:"Missions Multiplayer Maps" = coop really correct ?

Tully__
03-15-2006, 07:37 PM
There are two modes of multiplay in this game.

Coop(erative): Coop missions are just like single player missions except you can more than one player in them. There will (usually) be a planned course to a designated target with a specific mission goal to achieve. All players must join at the start after the server is set up but before the actual mission is launched. Players that are killed cannot get back in the air until the next mission but if External Views are not switched off they can stay and continue to watch the action until the host (server) ends the mission. You cannot use the dedicated server for this type of mission, you must use the "Create New Server" option in the game's multiplayer menu. Players will see a list of aircraft to choose from in an Arming screen before the mission starts and their assigned course and takeoff point will depend on which aircraft they choose. Aircraft not chosen by humans will be flown by the computer.
Coop mission files should be saved to one of the subfolders in the ...IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles\Missions\Net\coop folder

Dogfight: Dogfight missions can be run on the dedicated server software or from the game's multiplayer/creat new server menu. They allow players to join or leave at any time and to get another plane and keep flying at any time but have some drawbacks. In dogfight missions you can't have computer controlled aircraft or moving ground objects. Unless you use one of the community created "scripting" utilities there are no win conditions. The mission creator may choose to put some ground targets in the mission and instructions in the briefing but without the scripting utilities there is nothing other than the players own preferences to encourage the players to follow those instructions.
On joining the server players choose a base to fly from on the main briefing map then in the arming screen choose from a list of aircraft available at their chosen base. Since players can join at any time it's up to players to oranise teamwork among themselves rather than being in assigned groups like a single player or coop mission.
Dogfight mission files should be saved to one of the subfolders in the ...IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles\Missions\Net\dogfight folder.

Coop missions will not work if you attempt to fly them as a dogfight mission as there will be no "designated bases" to choose from. Conversely, dogfight missions will not work as a coop because there will be no predefined aircraft and courses to choose.

If you're unsure what type of mission you have downloaded, copy the mission file and use the Full Mission Builder to open the copy. If there are waypoints in the mission it's a coop, if there are no waypoints but there are "Homebase" objects at some airfields, it's a dogfight.

Be careful about opening the original files in the mission builder as there are some tricks mission builders use that will be automatically erased if the file is opened in the games built in mission builder.

Edit: The campaign missions referred to above run in Cooperative mode. If I recall correctly you will not need mission files for campaign mode as the game generates them from templates.

Daytraders
03-17-2006, 09:06 AM
Tully__ thx m8 a very nice reply that explained it well, thx and also thx to others who replied to me.