PDA

View Full Version : DELL XPS

jolulure
05-24-2006, 07:10 AM
Hi!!! next year ill be going to university to study aeronautical engineering... My parents have promised me a laptop for university. My budjet is up to 1700$... What about XPS M170?

It has Pentium M 2Ghz, 1024Mb of RAM, Geforce go 7800GTX.

How will this computer behave with uncoming BoB?

MrMojok
05-24-2006, 03:38 PM
There is simply no way to know. The system specs for BoB have not been released.

Although I would think you would want a faster processor, and double the RAM.... just my opinion.

AznKamiKazeKid
05-24-2006, 04:26 PM
I'm in the same situation, I'm also getting a laptop but going to get the E1705 with duel core 2.0 ghz, 1 gig of ram and 7900, i believe your graphics card is still faster though. Also IIRC, i think PM 2.0 ghz is about the same as a pentium 4 3.3 ghz or athlon 3300+, correct me if I'm wrong. Btw, I'm also going to go study aeronautical engineering, which school are you going to go to?

Troll2k
05-24-2006, 05:00 PM
Oleg mentioned that 2 gig of ram would be very nice to have.Other than that the specs are just generalities.Such as todays high end machine will run BoB but at reduced settings.

james_ander
05-24-2006, 08:17 PM
Do you absolutely need to have a laptop?

If not, then there is no excuse for an engineering student not to build his own computer.

I lived in a house with 2 aeronautical engineering students when I went to school and there 2 things I could always count on.

1. They always had lots of beer on hand.

2. They alwyas had the best home built computer ever for flight sims and all those zany aeronautical calculations they were always doing.

jolulure
05-25-2006, 12:41 AM
JEJEJE... im gonna study here in spain at ICADE university. But it has links with worldwide universities like harvard, cambridge or oxford. I suppose youll be studying at USA, wont you??

Anyway, I was wondering if American electricity frequency will be compatible with european one. I mean, will I be able to run an american laptop in europe???

-HH-Quazi
05-25-2006, 01:48 AM
I fly from time to time with a m8 that is running this sim on a Dell XPS laptop and he says he absolutely kills this sim. He is quite satisfied. And after checking their web site out, if I were to do a laptop, I believe it would be a Dell XPS laptop.

bienenbaer
05-26-2006, 01:43 PM
Well, no boasting,

I have a M170 with 2.1Ghz CPU, 2 Gb RAM and 7800GTX 256MB

1. Framerate in "Excellent" settings with full 1920x1200 res is either 59 (no look at land horizon) or around 30 (visibility high horizon in view).

2. a) To me this sim looks georgeous on this machine (although I need to add I find the Lock-On landscape looks eben better). I almost died of terror when first closing in on some Lastwagen which where trailing there spur of white-clouds behind (what is Kondensspur in English?)

2. b) I cannot seriously recommend you to buy it, because it might be obsolete when BoB comes out. When I bought it BoB was a distant shady cloud on the horizon, then it came up fast.

-HH-Quazi
05-26-2006, 03:42 PM
And that would be the big drawback for me. At least with a deaktop PC you can upgrade as needed for the newer game titles. But once you spend that kind of $$$ on a laptop, it is spent. No room to upgrade. Well, I guess you can if you wanted to delve into it and void any warranty you have.

I also have heard something on building your own laptop. Now that would be different.