PDA

View Full Version : New player with some questions.

Wachtsseu
01-26-2010, 11:46 AM
Hi I just started playing SH3 a few days ago and I love the game!

It reminds me of Tie Fighter in a way, playing as the 'bad guys.' =D

The tutorial, in my opinion, was not good enough to teach you everything. I'm still a little lost. So I'll get right down to it. Bare with me.

Torpedoes: How the hell do you manually fire them in in laymans terms?

I played through a career patrol yesterday (took me aaallll day to just get to the damn zone). Why are the patrol zones so far away? I just made waypoints and sped the time up but it would go back down everytime I spotted another boat which was like every 10 seconds.

During that patrol I sunk two merchant ships (barely, I had several dud torpedoes- how frusterating!). At the very end when I docked and exited the captains log said I had ZERO tonnage sunk and while it said I had zero torpedoes left it said I sunk nothing.

I got no renown or anything. What a waste. Do I have to radio in or something?

I just tried a new patrol and I have a deck gun this time and my weapons panel shows I have plenty of ammunition but my deck gun has zero shells and I can't seem to find a way to load it, how do I do this?

Same with extra torpedoes on stored out on the hull, how do I get them loaded?

Crew cycling, do I have to do it all manually or do people rest when they need to?

That's it for now, I'm learning a lot by trial and error but I can't figure it all out.

Thank you for your patience and support.

HeavyRabbit
01-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Hi:

The actual manual is quite sparse, frankly.

Go to the second thread from the top:

"Useful Links and Information", then open:

"Manuals, Tools, Mods, Tweaks, Online Flotillas, & Short Stories!!!"

There is a user supported manual that is much more helpful, and even at least two links to targeting which are also very helpful.

Other than that, I am sure some of the folks here would be happy to answer some of your specific questions.

BTW, I used to love that game Tie-Fighter, as well as X-Wing, which I probably still have, but I think they are for Windows 95, which is at this point, an ancient OS.

MartiniMik
01-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Wachtsseu,
I can answer some of your questions now & I'm sure you'll get others who'll give you alternatives to what I say and answer all of the rest for you.

Torpedoes: Put your cursor to the extreme left of the page and a menu will pop out. Choose the one named "Crew", it's in the middle & click on it. To the right you'll see 3 sub choices under the bow quarters. Click on the one in the middle which is the torpedo attack option. Now drag an officer into the "WP" position in the Command Room, (WP is the Weapons Person or Officer). Now your ready to make your attack. You can put your cursor back to the left again and either choose the Attack Periscope or the TDC, (the TDC position will allow you the option of firing a single torpedo or a salvo - this is a small round instrument marked "T" & "S" for torpedo or salvo. For the sake of making this as simple as possible right now just leave it on "T" and click on which tube you want to use. This can also be done from the Attack Periscope screen by just clicking on the tube of choice. Now press "Q" on your keyboard and the tube will open and you're ready to fire by clicking on the red "Fire" button. There are other options that people will tell you about but I can see that this is already a long post.

Assigned Patrol Area: This always seems to be far away and usually nets me zero targets to sink. I think some frustration was designed into this simulation. Yes, anytime you're using Time Compression (TC) to speed up the game it'll automatically bump you back down in order to give you time to make a decision as to what to do given the circumstances. For example if you're heading towards a shoreline at flank speed and 90m deep and your TC is way up, as the shoreline nears & the depth decreases the TC is going to automatically go down to give you a chance to react. If it didn't you'd be grounded before you knew it so this is a helpful feature, at least to me.

No Reknown: I believe your reknown will show when you first begin your next patrol. You can view it at the screen that appears just before starting your new patrol. I'm sure someone here will make this easier to understand that I seem to be explaining.

I'll leave the deck gun and external tyorpedo questions to another but I'm sure if you check the "Find" section in the Discussion page you can search this answer yourself.

CREW CYCLING: There's 2 ways to do this. Let's keep it simple and just go to the left of the screen again and choose the cfrew option. Then choose one of the 3 sub options again and the sim will auto cycle your crew for you. If you're playing "vanilla" that's the best you can do I believe although there is a mod or mods that can eliminate the need for this altogether.

Good luck & welcome aboard http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Kaleun1961
01-26-2010, 02:09 PM
I only have the time right now to address one or two questions. Most of what you ask is answered in the thread you've been referred to.

I think the first thing that trips up a lot of new players is that SH3 is not your typical "game." Although it is not perfect, it is really more of a simulation, based upon real life physics. As I said, it is not perfect in this respect, but does a respectable job, considering the limitations of the PC industry at the time as well the skillset and historical knowledge of the developers. However, the modding community has done quite a bit of work to come up with modifications and additions to the game since its original release. I would highly suggest that new players seriously consider investigating the mods which are available, and at no cost. Don't waste money on any commercial "add-ons" for SH3 that you might find in the cheap game bins.

First of all, there are a small number of known "bugs" with the game, which, unfortunately cannot be fixed, but we have learned to live with. The most notorious is the one which you seem to have experienced, the loss of credit for ships sunk on the first patrol of a new career. It is important that you make no changes whatsoever to the default layout of your sub or crew for the first patrol only of a new career. Do not add a gun, mess with the torpedo types, add an emblem, etc. Changing anything at all for the first patrol can cause a loss of credit. As well, when you return to base, you should traverse to within 40 kilometres of your base and then hit the "escape" button then choose "Dock at X" for whichever base your are returning to. Trying to end the patrol by hitting the escape button while still out in the middle of that Atlantic is both unrealistic and "gamey."

Patrol zones are far away because that is how it was. Until the Germans captured France, their subs had to sail around the top of Scotland to break out into the Atlantic. Traversing the English Channel was simply too risky, due to shallow waters, mines, patrols, etc. The trip became shorter once the Germans took over French ports, but it still was a long haul to the convoy lanes.

Time compression can be your friend and enemy at the same time. There are utilities which allow you to modify time compression settings, or you can do it manually by tinkering under the hood. I suggest getting the "SH3 Commander" addon, which allows you to manage time compression settings and a plethora of other aspects of the game. My personal preference is to change the default settings to something more tolerable. But of course, this means you risk the chance of missing enemy ships at sea or getting bounced before you can react. When I leave port I don't use the bridge view, but go to the map and then "tap, tap, tap" my way out of port. First I plot a course, then TC my way out to sea. Once I'm away from my own port and close to enemy traffic I judiciously user lower TC settings. This is something you will quickly learn how to manage.

As for manual targeting of torpedoes, I would recommend you leave that for when you are more skilled with the game. Until you understand the intricate dynamics of such things as running depths and angles of incidence, impact pistols, magnetic pistols and the pros and cons thereof, manual targeting will a waste of your time and most likely lead you to wrongly conclude that this game is krappy. I've seen many new guys come on here, fail to achieve stardom with their first patrol, then leave an abusive message on the board on their way out. It leaves us veterans here staring blankly at each other wondering, "Who or what the himmel was that?" I suspect that those might be the nine year old boys who found their Dad's copy and have a tantrum over their inability to understand what is really an adult game, intended for the serious simulationist. SH3 is NOT a console game for those who go through 2 or 3 new games a week. There are players here such as myself who are still playing this game years after its release. I can't think of many other games that offer such value of cost compared to time played.

External torpedoes: In real life these were stored in cannisters under the deckplates on top of the hull. To reload them, the crew had to erect a tripod type of winch, at sea and in peril of enemy action. The deckplate hatches were opened and the cannisters removed. The crew often wrapped spare flotation vests to the torpedo, then floated it to the winch. The crew then winched the torpedo into the bow or stern torpedo room, where it was worked upon by the crew before it was even inserted into a tube. Torpedoes that were carried internally were regularly serviced by the crew. Such things as gyroscopes, batteries and compressed air tanks and lines had to be checked and adjusted from time to time. When the sub left port, the torpedo tubes were pre-loaded. At sea even these torpedoes had to be hauled from the tubes and checked, in addition to the torpedoes held in internal storage. You can see this depicted in a scene from the film "Das Boot." One can well imagine that external reserves, subjected to the buffeting of the seas and shock from depth charge attacks would require servicing before they were loaded and ready to fire.

The game does a poor job of simulating the loading of external reserves. By the way, the way to do it in the game is to be on the surface, then "drag" the torpedo from external reserve to internal reserve. Do not try to drag it straight to the tube. If must first be taken into the boat, then loaded into a tube. Of course, you must be surfaced to do this. Some new folks here have complained that they could not do this when submerged! As well, you must not be in silent running mode, during which the crew stops engaging in noisy activities such as running pumps and reloading torpedoes. During the game, if you have to dive before the torpedo is taken aboard, the game simply suspends the reloading until you surface again. In real life, it wasn't this easy. You can well imagine the panic a crew would feel if caught this way. They would have to hurrieldy disassemble the winch and get it below decks, or even throw it overboard, and abandon the torpedo. This is why when I play I abide by my own "honour rules." If I have to make a dive while reloading an external torpedo, I consider it "abandoned" for the duration of my patrol. I wish to simulate the real life operations of a U-boat, not get my way around the limitations of a game. There are a few of us here who play by a similar set of honour rules regarding other aspects of the game as well. We aren't concerned primarily with running up a score as if this were pinball we are playing, but operating our boats according to real world considerations in spite of the shortcomings of the game.

Crew fatigue: Use SH3 Commander. This will allow you to adjust the crew cycle or turn it off altogether. Many veteran skippers here simply turn it off, as the implementation of this is flawed. There have been many discussions of crew management here, some of them heated. The general concensus seems to be that the best thing to do is turn if off or change it to a higher cycle. Most of us feel that it is unrealistic to expect the Kaleun to personally babysit his crew by waking them up, dressing them and sending them to their stations, then making them a cup of cocoa and reading them a story when he puts them to bed.

MartiniMik
01-27-2010, 02:47 PM
Wachtsseu,

Were you able to find the answers to all of your questions or do you need additional help?

Best of luck http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif