PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire help

hammertime4
12-19-2007, 06:42 PM
Which of the RAF Spitfires is best for low altituide flying and whats the differnce between all their models? Also, which is most popular in mulitplayer dogfights? Thanks for all answers!!
s!
~hammer~

VW-IceFire
12-19-2007, 06:49 PM
Well....its complicated if you really want to know about each model.

If its the Mark V then the LF.V models are the fastest down low. If its the IX then all but the HF.IX are the ones you want to fly. The HF.IX has a Merlin 70 in it which is optimized for very high altitude flight while the other IX models we have have a Merlin 66 which are optimized for low and medium altitude work.

The fastest and most powerful...consequently the most popular is the Spitfire IXc +25lb boost which has the same engine as the standard IX models but with extra boost so its maximum speed at low altitude up to full throttle height is better than the standard IX model.

This is a very late war example of the Mark IX model so you should realize when flying it that although its faster than its contemporaries its not as competent against its opposition which is generally far faster.

What we don't have is the Mark XIV which would be the fastest (but worst handling) of the Spitfire models. Sadly not available.

Also worth noting. There's a huge list of Spitfires in the game but in most cases its either a difference in armament on wing type.

Wing type advantages:
Full - better climb and turn
Clipped - better roll and slightly higher top speed at low altitude

Armament differences:

c type armament - 4x .303 Browning machine guns and 2x 20mm Hispano Mark II cannons

e type armament - 2x .50 Browning machine guns and 2x 20mm Hispano Mark II cannons

Generally speaking the 'e' type, despite having two less guns, puts out considerably more weight of fire in a minute of firing than the 'c' type. Depends on whats available.

Also...worth noting. The Spitfire VIII and IX, although visually somewhat different, are largely similar in performance with almost no differences. The VIII was used mostly in the Far East by the RAF and RAAF.

hammertime4
12-19-2007, 11:12 PM
wooaah thanks for all that mate!! it helped a ton!! your a life saver! thanks again! =)

~hammer~

CUJO_1970
12-20-2007, 12:39 AM
Best Spit for low alt. flying?

>>>Spit L.F. IXE CLP<<<

Hands down best low alt dogfighter, and the best Spitfire in the entire sim IMO.

ali19891989
12-20-2007, 05:59 AM
Does anyone know what the mark 14 handled like, was it really a lot worse than the others?

general_kalle
12-20-2007, 06:37 AM
you guys forgot MK Vc(2) and Vc(4)

dont know about performance but
Vc(2) is armed with 2 hispano cannons ONLY

Vc(4) is armed with 4 Hispano cannons which is by far the most powerful armement on the spitfires and in my opinion in the game.

i think the Vc is africa version of the Vb, but with Sandfilter and in case of Vc (4) also improved armement.

anybody know about the performance of it?
better than Vb or the same or?

Jaws2002
12-20-2007, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by general_kalle:
you guys forgot MK Vc(2) and Vc(4)

dont know about performance but
Vc(2) is armed with 2 hispano cannons ONLY

Vc(4) is armed with 4 Hispano cannons which is by far the most powerful armement on the spitfires and in my opinion in the game.

i think the Vc is africa version of the Vb, but with Sandfilter and in case of Vc (4) also improved armement.

anybody know about the performance of it?
better than Vb or the same or?

The "c" is quite a bit slower then the "b" exactly because of that bulky sand filter.

general_kalle
12-20-2007, 08:42 AM
well. i havent noticed.

anyway, i still prefer C (4) over the Vb cos of the armement.

JtD
12-20-2007, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Jaws2002:

The "c" is quite a bit slower then the "b" exactly because of that bulky sand filter.

Since when? Whenever I checked, it had the same speed. Just another porked aspect of the Spit V.

The CW IX in game is not faster at low alt than the full wing. Porked, too.

na85
12-20-2007, 11:51 AM
Yeah, what this game needs is an increase in spitfire performance http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

JtD
12-20-2007, 12:33 PM
Well, I for one would rather have 10 correct models than 10 porked ones.