PDA

View Full Version : Recommended modern World War 3 novels.

john_chi
08-15-2007, 03:01 PM
What novels that involve a huge conventional war in the present/near future have you read and would recommend?

Course Red Storm Rising and Team Yankee comes to mind. But these novels are about the cold war going hot in the 80s. Here's some that take place after the cold war -

Iron Tigers by Michael Farmer - Russia and the U.S. duke it out in the Iraq/Saudi desert.

Armored Corps series by Pete Callahan - North Korea starts the second Korean war.

The War in 2020 by Ralph Peters - USA vs. an Islamic-Japanese axis.

Cauldron by Larry Bond - An aggresive French/German alliance invades eastern Europe.

john_chi
08-15-2007, 03:01 PM
What novels that involve a huge conventional war in the present/near future have you read and would recommend?

Course Red Storm Rising and Team Yankee comes to mind. But these novels are about the cold war going hot in the 80s. Here's some that take place after the cold war -

Iron Tigers by Michael Farmer - Russia and the U.S. duke it out in the Iraq/Saudi desert.

Armored Corps series by Pete Callahan - North Korea starts the second Korean war.

The War in 2020 by Ralph Peters - USA vs. an Islamic-Japanese axis.

Cauldron by Larry Bond - An aggresive French/German alliance invades eastern Europe.

atacms2020
08-15-2007, 08:34 PM
The War in 2020 is one of my favorites.

I've just ordered, but haven't started reading one called unimaginatively, "The Third World War" by Humphrey Hawksley, a British author. It deals with the assassination of the Pakistani president, an attack on the Indian Parliament and a ballistic missile attack by North Korea on a US military base.

Other WW3 novels although more tied to naval/littoral warfare in a WW3 setting is the excellent series by Joe Buff, where the Allies (US and most of Europe go up against a German-South African Axis alliance). I believe the latest book is called, "Seas of Crisis."

There's the alternative-history mix of future and past with John Birmingham's trilogy (Weapons of Choice, Designated Targets and Final Impact), where DARPA in the 2020's creates an experimental weapon designed for teleportation of matter and creates a wormhole where a 2020's US/Allied naval task force goes back to the Pacific theatre in WW2.

Nano by John Robert Marlow isn't a WW3 scenario, but it is one of the best books I've read for nanotechnology and its applications for the military. I can't recommend it enough.

Darthirv
08-20-2007, 06:31 AM
The 900-page Dragon's Fury by Jeff Head is a great account of a 6-year WWIII between the US and China. It's probably one of my favorite books.

john_chi
08-20-2007, 12:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Darthirv:
The 900-page Dragon's Fury by Jeff Head is a great account of a 6-year WWIII between the US and China. It's probably one of my favorite books. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Without giving away too much. Is there any focus on hi-tech ground combat in this book?

atacms2020
08-20-2007, 12:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by john_chi:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Darthirv:
The 900-page Dragon's Fury by Jeff Head is a great account of a 6-year WWIII between the US and China. It's probably one of my favorite books. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Without giving away too much. Is there any focus on hi-tech ground combat in this book? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's exactly the question I'd ask! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Darthirv
08-20-2007, 01:30 PM
There is ground combat and it does feature some new stuff--I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "high-tech".

john_chi
08-20-2007, 02:39 PM
There is ground combat and it does feature some new stuff--I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "high-tech". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I just mean anything ressembling ground combat hardware we're going to see in Endwar like Land Warrior/Future Combat Systems technology not just high tech jets or ships that get too much attention in many novels.

Also, is there more action than there is political drama? I find that many technothrillers cover too much political drama than action.

atacms2020
08-23-2007, 08:59 AM
Thunder of Erebus by Payne Harrison

not full blown WW3 but events almost lead up to it.

Darthirv
08-23-2007, 07:38 PM
I guess then the ground combat could be considered high-tech then. And no, action takes up far more than the political scene--though the political debates and elections at home are not ignored.

I do have to state that the book, like much of Clancy as well, leans more to the right than to the left.

john_chi
08-23-2007, 08:22 PM
I do have to state that the book, like much of Clancy as well, leans more to the right than to the left. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmph, no problem with me.

KJ_White
08-23-2007, 09:06 PM
damn left supporters grrr :P

Darthirv
08-24-2007, 07:43 PM
I know, I just wanted to give a heads-up to all those leftist-technothriller fans out there.

john_chi
08-24-2007, 09:29 PM
I know, I just wanted to give a heads-up to all those leftist-technothriller fans out there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's such a thing??

Darthirv
08-25-2007, 02:30 PM
I finished the first in the Joe Buff series. It was very different, but very good.

Da_Costa1982
08-26-2007, 04:26 AM
What about some classics (without the high tech stuff that eventually shows up in EndWar).

Unknown in my Southern Europe:
Robert Heinlein's "The day after tomorrow", and the plenty of years old "Starship Troopers" as well as "Ice Station" by aussie Matthew Reilly.

Yeap just because i live in the world's backyard doesn't mean I don't know any good old classic WW3/futuristic fiction... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

KJ_White
08-26-2007, 06:11 PM
ice station was good, didn't like the 2 that followed as much though...

go the aussy authors!

Da_Costa1982
08-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Sorry only know that written-by-an-aussie book. What were the other two? We're they WW3 inspiration? if so: COOL!

P.S. Is there a .pdf link somewhere in the net? Yeap liked that one!!!

Darthirv
08-28-2007, 06:23 PM
Dragon's Fury can be downloaded in PDF format from jeffhead.com, if you are looking for a PDF one.

Da_Costa1982
09-01-2007, 04:36 PM
I've got it... hum not as realistic as I would desire. Kim Stanley Robinson writes science fiction of the future is american and does a better job , but everyone is a critic.....

KJ_White
09-01-2007, 06:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Da_Costa1982:
Sorry only know that written-by-an-aussie book. What were the other two? We're they WW3 inspiration? if so: COOL!

P.S. Is there a .pdf link somewhere in the net? Yeap liked that one!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the other two books are area 7 and scarecrow both follow the same central characters as ice station

Da_Costa1982
09-03-2007, 03:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KJ_White:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Da_Costa1982:

P.S. Is there a .pdf link somewhere in the net? Yeap liked that one!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the other two books are area 7 and scarecrow both follow the same central characters as ice station </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you KJWhite. I'm going to start buggin' the guys at my local FNAC megastore to see if they can import some out of UK. If not, well... DAMM THEM! ...it's not the first time they wave the carrot and then bail out on us... (Footnote: hope Scarecrow still has the oakley shades, instead of some arnette or the rayban-cliché look, it's about time someone make a compliement to a nities item http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif )

muttbut
09-04-2007, 01:04 PM
Eric L Harry's "Inavasion" is very good, US,China EU all in it

Da_Costa1982
09-05-2007, 02:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by muttbut:
Eric L Harry's "Inavasion" is very good, US,China EU all in it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Muttbut tell me is there a .pdf version? Thanks...

Panzerninja
09-06-2007, 04:36 PM
Larry Bond also has 2 other "WW 3" books that are pretty good. They are Red Phoenix and Vortex. Red Phoenix the north Koreans invade the south with the soviets working behind the scenes, and Vortex is about a war in south Africa, which involves the US, the south Africans, and....THE CUBANS?!?. Yes I know its odd but it was a pretty sweet book.

Darthirv
09-07-2007, 02:12 PM
All of LB's stuff is really, really good. Cauldron is my favorite. US v. France? Can't get better.

RooiValkRSA
06-09-2008, 07:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Panzerninja:
Larry Bond also has 2 other "WW 3" books that are pretty good. They are Red Phoenix and Vortex. Red Phoenix the north Koreans invade the south with the soviets working behind the scenes, and Vortex is about a war in south Africa, which involves the US, the south Africans, and....THE CUBANS?!?. Yes I know its odd but it was a pretty sweet book. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL, it's not that odd because it already happened (The Bush War), although with mimimal US support. Check out http://www.geocities.com/sa_bushwar/ for FYI.

baseball2k27
06-09-2008, 07:41 PM
the endwar book i reccomend