PDA

View Full Version : PE-2 Creator Petlyakov died in his bomber

AKM_Shaman0v
05-09-2006, 09:18 AM
Petlyakov died in crash in his bommer Be-2 .I was just thinking is there any more peculiar stories about engineers of ww2 planes?

joeap
05-09-2006, 01:45 PM
Wow I did not know that do you have details?

Tooz_69GIAP
05-09-2006, 02:08 PM
Petlyakov and his deputy were urgently required to attend a meeting in Moscow, but their Douglas transport aircraft was not working, so Petlyakov decided to travel in one of two recently prepared Pe-2s as they were being ferried to an airfield in Moscow. Petlyakov flew in one, and his deputy in the other.

These two aircraft were of a production batch which was having trouble due to production defects, and low quality workmanship. I don't recall the exact specifics, but there was some problem with the fuel lines or something, and the aircraft caught fire, which spread too quickly for any of the crew to escape.

There was a large inquiry which found that the fire was accidental, but that it was caused due to poor manufacturing practices mainly because they had just recently moved the entire production facillities beyond the Urals, and there was great demand for them to meet production schedules, so things were rushed a little.

This happened in February 1942 I believe.

SaQSoN
05-09-2006, 02:15 PM
Petliakov was at the Pe-2 manufacturing factory and had to go to Moscow immidiately for some business. At that time they had a newly built Pe-2 ferried to Moscow, so Petliakov decided to fly with it. He accomodated himself in radio-op cockpit and the plane took off. In 30 minuts after the take off, the left engine cought fire (due to poor assembly, the engine intake collector felt apart and the fuel/air mixture got poored onto hot engine). The pilot switched off the engine and tried to return to the airfield. But the fire quickly spread over the wing and to the fuselage. The plane was fully loaded with fuel and soon turned into a fireball. Pilot managed to change course almost 180 degree, but soon lost control and the plane dived down from 500m and crashed, completely desintegrating itself.
The investigation believed, that Petliakov and radio operator perished in the air because of the fires, while pilot and navigator were killed in crash. The debris of the aircaraft were spread in 200x500 m ellips. By distance between hit marks, left by the engines on the ground, it is also believed, that the aircraft started to disintegrate while still in the air...

AKM_Shaman0v
05-09-2006, 02:44 PM
They never mooved plane plant to urals it was in Kazan' and there is still alot off wired stuff going on with this crash.They found a bullet in stomack of gunner but there were no rifling marks on it and hole bunch of other stuff,still nobody knows exactly what happened
There is no even a small memorial on plase were they died, Maybe Il2 should make one from money of Add On http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SaQSoN
05-09-2006, 03:09 PM
They found a bullet in stomack of gunner but there were no rifling marks on it and hole bunch of other stuff,still nobody knows exactly what happened
According to the ballistic expertise, the bullet left cartridge when it exploded due to high temperature.
Why speculating, when you can read an investigation report on that crash?

mandrill7
05-09-2006, 03:39 PM
This says worlds about Soviet a/c manufacturing practices in WW2.

The other interesting story about Petlyakov is that he designed the Pe-2 while in an NKVD-run concentration camp, having been "purged" by Stalin in the late '30's. When the plane was a success, he was "rehabilitated".

Tooz_69GIAP
05-09-2006, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by AKM_Shaman0v:
They never mooved plane plant to urals it was in Kazan'

Yeah, that's right, my mistake.

But the report is available for reading. It was an extensive inquiry precisely because of the suspicious circumstances, like the bullet found in the pilot. And also, because of who Petlyakov was the authorities thought that there may have been some kind of sabotage involved. But it was declared an accident.

mandrill7
05-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Hard to imagine that sabotage would be officially sanctioned, as Petlyakov was considered useful again to the rulers. OTOH some of the rivalries between factories and design buros were pretty intense and I'm sure some strange stuff happened from time to time.