PDA

View Full Version : Crew Fatigue - A Compromise

mwestman
03-27-2006, 04:15 PM
After having used the various crew management mods I have finally just turned crew fatigue off. What a relief now not having my engine room crew collapse mid patrol on a transit or mid battle. Giving up crew fatigue allowed me to give up my fatigue managing it.

Here is a thought for those who might want to reflect crew experience but not have to play with the game's fatigue. Turn fatigue off, but man your stations only to the level that best represents your crew's experience. For instance during the first patrol you can put just enough crew in each compartment to make it functional. Add another crew member from berthing each time you complete a successful patrol to reflect increasing experience and proficiency.

Has anyone experimented with something like this?

mwestman
03-27-2006, 04:15 PM
After having used the various crew management mods I have finally just turned crew fatigue off. What a relief now not having my engine room crew collapse mid patrol on a transit or mid battle. Giving up crew fatigue allowed me to give up my fatigue managing it.

Here is a thought for those who might want to reflect crew experience but not have to play with the game's fatigue. Turn fatigue off, but man your stations only to the level that best represents your crew's experience. For instance during the first patrol you can put just enough crew in each compartment to make it functional. Add another crew member from berthing each time you complete a successful patrol to reflect increasing experience and proficiency.

Has anyone experimented with something like this?

Foehammer-1
03-27-2006, 04:21 PM
or you can fill the boat with crew and rotate them. give your officers german crosses in gold to make then immune to fatigue..

Teddy Bar
03-27-2006, 04:43 PM
You did not clarify what crew management systems you had used, so it is really unclear on where you are coming from.

Also how does having a super human crew add to the gameplay? I say that as compared the the NYGM Crew Management included in the NYGM Tonnage War Mod.

panthercules
03-27-2006, 06:53 PM
I can say that the NYGM crew management/fatigue model is the best one I've tried to date, and a vast improvement over either the stock game model or the RUB model (I haven't tried some of the others, like Hollywood or whatever they are).

After running NYGM-Tonnage War for a while, I'm now trying out the Grey Wolves mod package, and so far I haven't cared much for either the "stock" GW fatigue model or the optional 24-hour GW model. I have seen some posts indicating that maybe some problems with the GW fatigue models are related somehow to a corrupted download, so I'm reserving judgment on that aspect till I can figure that out. But the NYGM-TW approach really did add some interesting randomness in terms of it possibly mattering when during your watch cycle you happened to spot that convoy or whatever. It was pretty easy for me to set it up so that I could keep to reasonably workable rotating watch schedule that I could time with my periodic dives for hydrophone checks, without worrying that my guys would all be knackered after only 2 or 3 hours at low TCs like seemed to keep happening with the stock game's model.

I was running the NYGM crew mgmt mod-let on top of IUB before TW came out and it worked great, so you might want to give the crew part a try even if you don't want to try the whole TW package (though the TW package is a really good one, and I don't think the NYGM crew mgmt mod-let would work on top of the Grey Wolves package, if I understand how NYGM and GW implemented their fatigue models).

I can certainly understand the desire to just turn off fatigue and be done with it, but since the whole fact that we even have a crew to manage is one of the big steps forward for SH3 I personally hate to just throw it away and lose that whole aspect of the game.

lecek
03-27-2006, 10:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mwestman:

Has anyone experimented with something like this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This sounds like a type II crew managment strategy.

For other subs you can have many more crew then you can fit in the bunnks. In this way you can rotate them more effectivly.

I personally like the stock SH3 crew management model. I understand many ppl have problems and issues with it but I don't. When you start a new career and you have your green crew, that is the hardest. There is a kind of time limit before you can not keep your officers fresh anymore. But this time limit is quite long and the management isn't as hard as many ppl think.

Nore is it very hard to swap out the engine room crew. (I just mention this because when I was a noob I just drag swaped them one at a time.)

At least IMHO.

BueJack
03-28-2006, 12:07 PM
As Kaleun of the boat it's really not your job to manage the crew rotation (Zero fatigue), but if you really want to, that's up to you. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

HeibgesU999
03-28-2006, 12:34 PM
Try the Hollywood Crew Management model. In a literal sense, probably the most realistic out there.

But in the abstract, NYGM and RuB are very realistic also.

All are great, it just depends on what your idea of realism is. I play a lot in real time, and have frequent 48hr to 72 hr convoy battles, so I like Hollywood.