PDA

View Full Version : Immersion?

pmckelvy
04-06-2005, 03:52 PM
Just curious to see how many people agree with me. No matter how tempting it is to look at all the wonderful eye-candy this game has provided, I leave all the externals and event camara off because the unknown is far more fun. Maybe is that why I don't see all the "bugs" with AI doing stupid things or whatever else people whine about. If I want to see the explosion and I can't live without it, I bring her up and look. And I'm impressed, when I actually hit that is. But when I'm submeged deep and guessing what the tommies are doing it is much more fun to me. I second guess myself a thousand times. Anyway I was just wondering how many of you guys find the same experiance. Great game btw, a few tweeks away from being the ultimate. Also how many have played Janes 688 and what are your thoughts on that?

Mac

pmckelvy
04-06-2005, 03:52 PM
Just curious to see how many people agree with me. No matter how tempting it is to look at all the wonderful eye-candy this game has provided, I leave all the externals and event camara off because the unknown is far more fun. Maybe is that why I don't see all the "bugs" with AI doing stupid things or whatever else people whine about. If I want to see the explosion and I can't live without it, I bring her up and look. And I'm impressed, when I actually hit that is. But when I'm submeged deep and guessing what the tommies are doing it is much more fun to me. I second guess myself a thousand times. Anyway I was just wondering how many of you guys find the same experiance. Great game btw, a few tweeks away from being the ultimate. Also how many have played Janes 688 and what are your thoughts on that?

Mac

dog_U-333
04-06-2005, 04:06 PM
Im sorta with ya, Mac. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
I turned off the event camera. Too distracting for me. I do keep the external on though, for now. A quick flyover the ocean ...just looks too gorgeous not to http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I dabbled with Jane's a million years ago, and I found it to be rather daunting. Top notch sub sim, back in its day, for sure. I find that the WWI sub sims to be far less cerebral, and far more tactile.

cheers,
dog
[edit] ...i meant WWII, not WWI

AdEridanus
04-06-2005, 04:48 PM
I think it is 688(i) that changed how i played subsims. I too keep the event cam and extenal cam off for my campaign. Alot of the fun is in attempting to piece together the scene on the surface. And when you just have to see your torpedoes hit that cruiser or liner that you've never seen before, the danger of your position is always in the back of your mind.

Ahh, 688(i). I remember doing all of the calculating, litening to the broadband, flipping it over to the narrowband... memories.

Is dangerous waters good? SH3 has made me want to play all kinds of subsims, so I'm checking that one out next.

Kpt_Zig
04-06-2005, 04:49 PM
The immersion factor is the difference between a crapola or mediocre sim and a good or excellent one. The immersion factor in SH3 is why I rate it as excellent. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

CCIP
04-06-2005, 04:52 PM
You know, I tried a patrol on 100% yesterday, but I think I'll back up a little - to have free cam + WO target solutions.

The unknown element REALLY contributes to immersion, but I was actually kinda dis-immersed by the lack of free camera on 100% - just because there's really only so many views on your boat. I mean, I can't even see my custom emblem that way. I don't use the cam for spying, just for being able to see my boat from different angles and for getting a 'feel' for the sea...

[edit]

Oh, and as far as rating SH3 for immersion... don't even get me started! It's the first time I had moments of mistaking a game for 'the real thing' http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

pmckelvy
04-06-2005, 05:10 PM
Cool thanks for the input. I never hear 688 even mentioned on these forums, and although I hated the scripted campaign I did think it was a good sim. And I totally agree with the external cam coments, I'm tempted to turn them on to take advantage of the great graphics but the video card in my head takes way less of a hit on my fps...lol.

Mac

Gelignite
04-06-2005, 05:15 PM
I used to play Silent Service before 688. I think SS has the best sonar system ever created for the submarine simulation. If I am not wrong NSL has gave all the information for SS. 688 is also the one of the best of its kind. I like both SS and 688 as well as SH http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Pr0metheus 1962
04-06-2005, 05:15 PM
I think the immersion factor in this sim is better than almost any other game I've played. It even beats AoD and Red Baron 3D even though it's not technically as polished as those old classics.

Having said that, I think the one thing that's missing from an immersion point of view is the ability to roam through the ship in 3D. I don't necessarily mean that we should be able to move (slide) throughout different compartments, walking up to different areas of the control room, etc. What I mean is that movement between the 3D areas should be more intuitive, with mouse controls to move you into and back out of the 2D views so that you really get a sense of moving through the boat. As it is, you can only move to certain 2D screens via the 3D compartment views, but not back out again. For example, you can go from the control room to the conning tower and to the bridge, and then to the UZO by clicking on the various hatches etc., but you can't use the mouse wheel to go out of the UZO view and back to the 3D bridge view. I just think it would make a huge difference if everything could be controlled via the mouse, rather than having to occasionally click on the window at the left hand side of the screen to move between control areas.

If the devs instituted mouse wheel control for moving back out of 2D views, I think it would be a great step forward. Hehe, maybe I'll post this request on the dev questions thread.

Ronin.nj
04-06-2005, 06:58 PM
immersion, how does moving the pc into the bedroom grab ya,lol,thing was though im up to an bit of hanky panky with the better half,then low and behold an bloody destroyer turns up,so i had to come about,so i could get i behind to be safe,yes in one quick manoovar i double knuckled,and in the longest stretch in my life got to the pause button. yes one of my closest calls yet.very lucky i saved my crew and my campaign. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Nukem_Hicks
04-06-2005, 07:07 PM
I've never dreamed about a computer game before. That changed last night. Now, this could be a result of this game devouring the last 3 weeks of my life. Nonetheless, the level of immersion is incredible.

I play on 100% realism just because I'm a hardcore nut like that, although I do enjoy using the external cam to view my ship during MP games that aren't set on realistic.

Kpt_Zig
04-06-2005, 07:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ronin.nj:
immersion, how does moving the pc into the bedroom grab ya,lol,thing was though im up to an bit of hanky panky with the better half,then low and behold an bloody destroyer turns up,so i had to come about,so i could get i behind to be safe,yes in one quick manoovar i double knuckled,and in the longest stretch in my life got to the pause button. yes one of my closest calls yet.very lucky i saved my crew and my campaign. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lollol! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

pmckelvy
04-06-2005, 07:45 PM
Being a bit of a realism nut, I would like to see no hot keys. You would need to move by the mouse, (maybe not walking but at least clicking) to the place you need to be. I'm not sure how much "strolling" a KM captain did but it sounds pretty cool. I might be strectching it a bit here as well but, what if they instituted a fatigue factor for you? At some point you have to grab a couple hours of sleep and hope the midwatch is on point. Maybe just a pipe dream and I'm not sure the average gamer would have the attention span for it but, wow plan for that!

Mac

P.S. man I suck at manual TDC after a few drinks!