PDA

View Full Version : cut to the chase

reumatiib
04-18-2005, 08:16 AM
During long periods of time compression I often wish that we could get rid of these mindless sections with a simple TURN JUMP. The computer can easily compute with the existing data, the spawn points, the know direction and speed of other units, the weather fronts and so forth, where all our little stops are likely to be. There really is no reason for me to be sitting here during 'Dr. Who travel periods'. And usually I actually walk away from the computer during many of those time.

Instead I'd like to see an option that allows a player to skip across all this 'highly exciting' stuff. I suppose this comes to a head for me because in SH2 the missions were usually designed to where a player just began near his intended post. I find all the travel to and from base as about as interesting as getting stuck in traffic on the way to work.

Yeah, I know some numbskull is going to pop up and say, "Dude! U-boaters had to endure that stuff - the game is teaching you how hard it was!"

No, its not. Once or twice would be enough. Really I have an imagination, and I'd rather just use it to feel their pain with. The truth is, being on a U-boat was more fun than watching Time Compression! They had things to do, or buddies to play cards with or fight with. They had people to shoot the shi* with.

People who will suggest that its good for us, are the same twits would would suggest that people should feel all their pain when getting a tooth pulled. I suggest to them that they should either 1. resign from Ubi so that they can make better sense while posting, or 2. if they are real clowns and not Ubi-clones, they should only eat moldy bread and meat and drink smelly water while playing their games.

CorruptAssassin
04-18-2005, 08:31 AM
FFS!

Its a sim. Its designed to represent reality. This isn't an arcade game, you cant just simply spawn around the place, half the fun is the actual JOURNEY... well, thats me anyway.

I think the dev's did a fantastic job. I like the feeling of traveling to your destination, instead of warping there (or lvl loading), and if the game was simply a number of battles where you warp your way around the map, it would truley, truley suck. Its hugely immersive when you have to travel great distances, as you know your up for a great journey, fun times, and lots of hard work getting there and back.

Messervy
04-18-2005, 08:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I suggest to them that they should either 1. resign from Ubi so that they can make better sense while posting, or 2. if they are real clowns and not Ubi-clones, they should only eat moldy bread and meat and drink smelly water while playing their games. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Speak for yourself.!
Things happen during the journey you know!
Anyway if you don`t like it don`t play it and revert back to whatever action packed game you are fammiliar with. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Dominicrigg
04-18-2005, 08:41 AM
Play solitaire? Read a book. Then you can recreate life onboard while they patrol.

Also you could watch tv or play with a rubix cube but they didnt have these on board uboats so it wouldnt be realistic...

ps your complaining about an aspect the game was held up for 3 months to put in lolz.

con20or
04-18-2005, 08:49 AM
man that was hilarious! maybe while playing we should abstain from sex for a month, not shower, and take a **** in front of 50 people? plus find some mangy riddled ****** at the end of the month and gives ourselves crabs!!!

150% realism.

Hardcore.

Kpt_Zig
04-18-2005, 09:04 AM
I hear X-Boxes are pretty cheap these days.

BaneSixEcho
04-18-2005, 09:30 AM
You know, if you did warp all over the place using the method you described you'd miss out on a lot of potential targets. You'd be limiting yourself to visually aquired targets only.

Try submerging the boat every few hours and spin the hydrophone around a few times. You may find a contact that you'd never aquire visually. Mark it's position on the map, surface, travel in it's general direction for a while, submerge, listen, and mark it's position again. Two or three of these and you can determine it's course and speed.

To make it more interesting, test out your boat. Dive to near the operational depth just for the heck of it. Doing that certainly wakes the crew up!

Practice the crash dive and the normal dive and time it using the stopwatch. This could come in handy if you ever need to get deep right now. Blow ballast and time that too.

Transfer external torpedos to the internal stores.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course. I'm just saying that there are things you could be doing during the long journey to wherever you're going.

Frumpkis
04-18-2005, 09:32 AM
Well, maybe the more hardcore types here should step back and think about how "realistic" 1024x time compression is.

I wouldn't want to see SHIII turned into an arcade game, but what would be wrong with the *option* to warp to a final waypoint? You wouldn't have to use it, if you wanted the immersion of staring at the navigation map during time compression. So I think it's a good suggestion... even if I wouldn't use it myself. Many great sims of the past have included this particular version of time compression, without people screaming that it's unrealistic.

The only downside might be that those calculations for ship and aircraft movements and potential contact don't happen very quickly, unless you have a very fast computer. So pressing the warp key might require sitting through some type of "please wait, loading...." screen anyway. It might not be much faster than the current method of time compression. I doubt there is much overhead in animating that nav map graphic.

con20or
04-18-2005, 09:33 AM
Bane, you are 100% right, but your wasting your time there my friend. He's gone over to the dark side.

eclgbl
04-18-2005, 09:40 AM
I'm with bane theres loads of stuff to do on the journey to your next waypoint. But if you really suffer from A.D.D. that badly you can always alt-tab get on the net and download some pr0n. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Lovo_Kasistan
04-18-2005, 09:52 AM
Why not?

Why not letting the computer calculate our little hearing stops while jumping?

Why not letting him calculate the interception?

Why not letting him calculate the whole encounter? One ship hardly deserves any attention.

Heck, he can calculate the whole patrol, I just want to see the number of tonnage sunk! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

PsychoFritz
04-18-2005, 10:18 AM
If you want this game to be so much like Silent Hunter II (which you campare this game to in every post) then why don't you just keep playing that one? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

BFawlty
04-18-2005, 10:35 AM
So you guys don't use time compression? How long does it take to get to your patrol areas? I wish I had that kind of time. I have to use time compression, I would never end a patrol without it. And as far as having a warp feature, I don't see anything wrong with that either. There are those here who won't use the external camera because it isn't "full real", however it is nice to have that option. Just my 2 cents.

BF

quillan
04-18-2005, 12:47 PM
I use time compression. I think most of us do. But, how often, while you're cruising along on time compression, do you stop to check something out? Perhaps a radio message came in about a convoy or task force you think about investigating. What about that contact that just appeared on the map that looks like you can intercept? Maybe you decided just to drop down to periscope depth and have a listen on the hydrophones? All of that, plus any other reasons, would be cut out by using a "Jump to next contact" option.

BaneSixEcho
04-18-2005, 12:58 PM
I most definately use time compression. If/when I get bored staring at the nav map I do some of the things I mentioned earlier just to break up the monotony. The only one you can do repeatedly is the hydrophone check really.

I also subscribe to 15 bazillion magazines which I read between hydrophone checks.

To be clear, I was just offering some suggestions that may help lift the tedium of long TC travel times.

BlitzPig_Rivet
04-18-2005, 05:40 PM
Like Dominicrigg said, solitaire or reading a book would do it, but if you are the more hands on skilful type, what about a yo-yo? Didn't one of the guys in Das Boot have a yo-yo? I can't remember offhand.

Dammit! Now look what you've done. I'm going to have to watch Das Boot again now just to check that. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Oh yeah, I do use time compression but not always at maximum and not all the time. I like time to react to anything that may be interesting or dangerous on the way to or from my designated patrol grid. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

archer49d
04-18-2005, 05:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by reumatiib:
During long periods of time compression I often wish that we could get rid of these mindless sections with a simple TURN JUMP. The computer can easily compute with the existing data, the spawn points, the know direction and speed of other units, the weather fronts and so forth, where all our little stops are likely to be. There really is no reason for me to be sitting here during 'Dr. Who travel periods'. And usually I actually walk away from the computer during many of those time.

Instead I'd like to see an option that allows a player to skip across all this 'highly exciting' stuff. I suppose this comes to a head for me because in SH2 the missions were usually designed to where a player just began near his intended post. I find all the travel to and from base as about as interesting as getting stuck in traffic on the way to work.

Yeah, I know some numbskull is going to pop up and say, "Dude! U-boaters had to endure that stuff - the game is teaching you how hard it was!"

No, its not. Once or twice would be enough. Really I have an imagination, and I'd rather just use it to feel their pain with. The truth is, being on a U-boat was more fun than watching Time Compression! They had things to do, or buddies to play cards with or fight with. They had people to shoot the shi* with.

People who will suggest that its good for us, are the same twits would would suggest that people should feel all their pain when getting a tooth pulled. I suggest to them that they should either 1. resign from Ubi so that they can make better sense while posting, or 2. if they are real clowns and not Ubi-clones, they should only eat moldy bread and meat and drink smelly water while playing their games. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the game was really trying to teach you how hard it was, you should not sight merchants at all on some patrols, which thanks to your magic key would make them last the whole of the loading screen. Oh and while your at it, we should have an option to throw our shoes at the enemy ships to sink them.