PDA

View Full Version : Why is it sometimes so difficult to climb ? What am I doing wrong ?

rijnton1944
02-07-2005, 07:50 AM
Sometimes I find it very hard to climb. At the moment I am doing Extreme_One's BoB campaign in which I fly a Hurricane but I also noticed it with other planes.
I already read somewhere that I must not pull too hard on the stick, but do it very gently. Although I pay attention to that and have rather high speed, sometimes it seems that my plane hardly climbs and has the tendency to roll to one side or even descend more than climb.
What am I doing wrong then ?

rijnton1944
02-07-2005, 07:50 AM
Sometimes I find it very hard to climb. At the moment I am doing Extreme_One's BoB campaign in which I fly a Hurricane but I also noticed it with other planes.
I already read somewhere that I must not pull too hard on the stick, but do it very gently. Although I pay attention to that and have rather high speed, sometimes it seems that my plane hardly climbs and has the tendency to roll to one side or even descend more than climb.
What am I doing wrong then ?

jurinko
02-07-2005, 09:47 AM
every plane has its own best climb speed - like Bf 109 around 250-290 km/h, Hurricane maybe a bit less, Fw 190 over 300k/h. Be sure your gear is up http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. Learn to work with engine management - to switch the supercharger in correct altitude to higher level, like in 1500m for I-153/16, in 2000m for Yaks, 3500m for LaGG/La, 3600m for He-111, 2500/8000m for F6F and F4U (the numbers are not necessarily 100% exact). Allow the plane to gain some speed in level flight like 350kph and then trim slightly the nose up, so the constant angle and constant speed is mantained.

Hurricane can use 2nd supercharger gear also in low altitudes for fight and climb. However, in other planes like Yak or La you can destroy your engine in that way.

blairgowrie
02-07-2005, 10:08 AM
And make sure you don't damage your prop on take off. Or, if you go off the runway onto grass you might ingest dirt as I did the other night flying a Me 262.

LuckyBoy1
02-07-2005, 11:47 AM
See this guide to help you learn complex engine management and more...

http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~chapman/il2guide/

dieg777
02-07-2005, 12:29 PM
this is my take on it-the secret is that its not how much you pull back on the stick that makes you climb- its the speed of air over the wings combined with angle of wing to air. You can actually climb faster with higher speed and less pullback sometimes.
If you pull back too far you present a larger frontal area and can induce drag which slows you down.

the hurricane is slower than most fighter aircraft in the game so you have to keep the speed up - do gentle spiral climbs after take off or stair climbs (if speed drops off then level off or slightly dive and build speed again then climb again) to gain altitude.

good luck

Friendly_flyer
02-07-2005, 02:39 PM
Do you fly with "Stall and spin" turned off? I used to do that a lot. Whan climbing hard, like you do in the 3rd (?) mission of Extreme Ones BoB, your Hurricane will loose too much speed, and stall out.

The thing is, if you stall out with the "Stall and spin" off, you won't start to spinn, but you have still lost your lift. It is possible to force a stalled out airplane upwards under the artificial condition created with "Stall and spin" off, but it will be slow.

How to deal with it: Turn your nose somewhat downwards, until airspeed reaches around 200 km/h. Then start climbing, but make sure your airspeed never drops below 170 km/h. You'll probably end up frying out your engine climbing to get that Heinkel, but it's possible to get it.

horseback
02-07-2005, 03:13 PM
1. Find your aircraft's best climb speed.

2. Keep your needle and ball centered, that is, keep your flight path straight, and your aircraft properly trimmed. Trimming to climb is more usually more efficient than pulling back on the stick constantly, and keeping your 'ball' centered with rudder or rudder trim keeps your momentum going in the direction your nose is pointing. Flying with a bit of yaw can generate a good bit of drag.

3. Practice! This sim is sufficiently complicated that you cannot expect to just jump into a campaign and enjoy a lot of success. The QMB allows you to learn what is the most efficient way to fly your aircraft in formation, or in combat. Using a QMB in your chosen aircraft for a quick warmup is not a bad idea before running your campaign missions either.

I found that I could set up solo QMBs on the Smolensk map and fly under every bridge in beautiful downtown Smolensk, including a couple of pedestrian bridges over a train station track(I made a track of myself in a P-40E, zoom climbing to 700m right after the second of these, rolling over, and diving back down to go back under the pedestrian overpasses from the opposite direction-it's a great introduction for friends who are't familiar with Il-2) . It's fairly easy in an I-16, a bit more challanging in a LaGG or Me 109, and a bit harder in a P-40 or FW, but it teaches you a lot about controlling the aircraft, and it's a hoot. Leningrad is an even better map for this purpose, but you have to use FMB for that...

cheers

horseback

geetarman
02-07-2005, 03:30 PM
Also, try to determine your plane's best climb rate. You can do a google search. For instance, I think the best climb rate for the P-51 was about 3,500' per minute.

When I fly it, I look at the rate of climb indicator (most, if not all IL-2 planes have one). I usually pull the nose up so that I'm doing 2,500' to 3,000' ft. per/min.

When I take off, I keep the Mustang fairly level until I hit about 200mph. I then back off the throttle to about 45-50" of MP. I then adjust my RPM's to about 2500 (equates to about 75% prop pitch) and pull the nose up to hit my target rate of climb. I'll soon be climbing briskly at 3,000' per/min at about 170 mph.

Tully__
02-07-2005, 04:29 PM
You also need to be aware that a number of other factors reduce available climb:

High load (lots of fuel or carrying rockets/bombs)
High altitude
Hot weather (summer maps and particularly the desert map)
Damage

are among them. Also don't try to climb with flaps out, while they will increase climb rate at very low speeds, your max climb at best climb speed and no flaps should be better than the climb rate achievable at very low speed with flaps.

Dolemite-
02-07-2005, 05:28 PM
One word..............TRIM. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

WTE_Galway
02-07-2005, 05:41 PM
There are actually 3 climb rates you need to use in game

1) best angle of climb

This gets you to teh maximum height in the shortest ground distance. This is for clearing obstacles such as hills near the takeoff point and is generally a fairly low speed and high throttle so hard on the engine.

2) best rate of climb

This gets you to the maximum height in the shortest time. Generally max throttle and a speed of 300-400 kmh

3) cruise climb .. easiest on fuel and engine wear and tear and allows you to cover the most ground distance while climbing. Useful for long missions where wasting time climbing first is counter-productive. Typical cruise climb might be about 80% throttle at 300 kmh.

VW-IceFire
02-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Yep...each plane has its own best climb area.

If its a FW190, then climbing at a shallow angle at a speed of 380kph TAS is better than trying to climb at a steep angle and 250kph TAS.

VF-29_Sandman
02-07-2005, 07:46 PM
trim was done in these steps: rudder, elevator, then wings. a properly trimmed out bird flies alot better. supercharger and fuel mix plays a part also, and depending on alt, they have to be adjusted differently; higher alt, u need to reduce mix. typically, over 4000 meters. if u have a smoke trail at a certain height, the mix needs to be lowered.

han freak solo
02-07-2005, 10:08 PM
It's very difficult to chase aircraft while climbing. For bomber hunting, you may have to anticipate where their return path will be and be at a proper altitude when they return.

Unfortunately, they just plastered your home town and you couldn't do a d*mn thing about it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

mortoma
02-07-2005, 10:21 PM
Horseback wrote:
"2. Keep your needle and ball centered, that is, keep your flight path straight, and your aircraft properly trimmed. Trimming to climb is more usually more efficient than pulling back on the stick constantly, and keeping your 'ball' centered with rudder or rudder trim keeps your momentum going in the direction your nose is pointing. Flying with a bit of yaw can generate a good bit of drag."

You are right, yaw to one side would make for more drag but I don't think this is modelled in the game. Never seems to slow me down to have ball to one side.

Badsight.
02-07-2005, 10:31 PM
the Brits with their ever-wondefull sense of user-freindlyness stuck the AB button under the seat

. . . . ("but im strapped in you twits") . . . .

& the Hurricanes never got the Spitfire anti-grav devices , so your outta luck there

rijnton1944
02-09-2005, 03:22 PM
Thanks for all the advice.
Keeping it in mind I succeeded in finishing the abovementioned mission in BoB. I could reach and destroy the enemy plane that was flying at about 4000 mtrs.