PDA

View Full Version : Apple beats Microsoft again

Ba5tard5word
07-23-2010, 08:53 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/...entry_id=68596&tsp=1 (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/techchron/detail?entry_id=68596&tsp=1)

You probably heard Apple surpassed Microsoft as top tech dog in May. Well, here's another area where Apple beat Microsoft this year: security vulnerabilities.

In its recently released half year report, Danish security firm Secunia found that Apple surpassed Oracle this year as the software developer with the most vulnerabilities.

Apple and Oracle were followed by Microsoft, who has held the number 3 spot in Secunia's list since 2006.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif

leitmotiv
07-24-2010, 04:49 AM
I use a MacBook Pro for everything important and I use a hideously expensive piece of garbage PC with hideous Vista for toys. One day I will take the latter out and blow it to pieces with my police shotgun and replace it with an Apple tower.

VW-IceFire
07-24-2010, 07:36 AM
Apple just doesn't take security as seriously yet... It's because they haven't been stung as badly as Microsoft. Not yet. But with rising popularity and influence you can bet that some folks are going to be working on attacking Macs the way they go after Windows machines.

BillSwagger
07-24-2010, 09:14 AM
i don't think its saying much, being that most security threats are user based. Whether a hack is designed for mac or windows it will never breach security if the user never opens that email or clicks on that mysterious link.

VW-IceFire
07-25-2010, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by BillSwagger:
i don't think its saying much, being that most security threats are user based. Whether a hack is designed for mac or windows it will never breach security if the user never opens that email or clicks on that mysterious link.
This is true... it's been said in security reports before that some Mac users are less careful about what they click on because they believe the advertising that they are safe... because it's a Mac.

Oh how I have seen that in action.

WTE_Galway
07-25-2010, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BillSwagger:
This is true... it's been said in security reports before that some Mac users are less careful about what they click on because they believe the advertising that they are safe... because it's a Mac.

Oh how I have seen that in action. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are safe cos no-one bothers to hack them. Mac users do not do anything interesting, they mainly do cosmetic adds for fashion magazines on them :P

I suspect you got a similiar phenomena with the Edsel back in the 1960's. It is highly likely they were stolen less, not due to any improved security features, just because no-one wanted one.

Urufu_Shinjiro
07-25-2010, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BillSwagger:

Oh how I have seen that in action. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ain't that the truth, and when something on their Mac doesn't "just work" they flip out and blame your system (I do tech support at a hospital, only thing worse than a Mac user is a Mac user with a medical degree, lol). I love telling the iPhone users that NO they cannot get their email on the iPhone, they must use a blackberry because the BES has the HIPAA compliant security features, and the iPhone does now, they are rendered speechless and then lash out in anger that the jesus phone is not supported, lol!

DrHerb
07-25-2010, 10:29 PM
I work in a hi-qual printing company that uses mac software for just about everything except the accpac section, and shipping/receiving. Our latest large format, 1500dpi printer uses....guess what..... a PC, cause the software (Wasatch) is the only software that is compatible with our newest printer. The production manager just recently found out what the right click button does, much to the amusement of myself.... "holy crap!, it brings up a sub-menu!

Blood_Splat
07-26-2010, 06:45 AM
Speaking of Microsoft I keep getting this...HID Non-User Input Data Filter KB911895. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

Airmail109
07-27-2010, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
(I do tech support at a hospital, only thing worse than a Mac user is a Mac user with a medical degree, lol).

...................sh1t