PDA

View Full Version : Today, 40 years ago...

Bremspropeller
03-02-2009, 05:27 AM
http://www.concordesst.com/history/events/pictures/001maiden1.jpg

Marvellous feat of Engineering.

And the first "Airbus" if you wanna put it that way.

rnzoli
03-02-2009, 06:27 AM
Engineering miracle yes yes yes.
But a horrible economical business case also?

Blutarski2004
03-02-2009, 06:39 AM
I visited the exhibit SST at Duxford way back when and was shocked by how few passengers it accommodated.

I do however wonder why, after forty years, no progress has been made in reducing flight times for inter-continental travel. I know that fuel consumption has been a big issue, but the SST could fly London-NY trans-Atlantic in, what, 3.5 hours???

crucislancer
03-02-2009, 07:06 AM
I saw one once, back in the mid 80's. My family and I had arrived earlier at Heathrow Airport, and we were arranging the rent car. I wasn't prepared for how loud it was. We saw it take off, and my ears were ringing for a while afterwords.

FlatSpinMan
03-02-2009, 07:16 AM
Saw it take off from Christchurch Airport in NZ on some World Tour it did. Gorgeous thing. The roads all around the airport were lined with families in cars who had driven some distance just to see her. I'd forgotten all about that until this thread. Yay bremspropellor!

Bremspropeller
03-02-2009, 07:32 AM
The SST-concept actually was doomed the day it was born.

The fuel-consumption (although being in supercruise above M1.7 !) for supersonic operations is just too high to be feasible on a long termm.
Then, taking-off with afterburners wasn't exactly the way to make new friends in the surrounding areas of airports.

The poor passenger-capacity and high fuel-consumption turned the aircraft into a ticket-price hog.
Only buissnessman in the higher management-floors and celebrities could afford tavelling with Concorde (sometimes more down-to-earth people got the chance on a flight in charter-operations).

Interestingly, it wasn't the crash in 2000 that broke Concorde's neck.
It was 9/11 - almost half of it's regular passengers were killed that day.

joeap
03-02-2009, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Bremspropeller:
It was 9/11 - almost half of it's regular passengers were killed that day.

Agree with all your points, but did not know that! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

I don't doubt you just shocked is all...quite normal though when you think about it.

Anyway, loved trying to fly this thing in FS2000. Pretty finky to say the least.

jamesblonde1979
03-02-2009, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by rnzoli:
Engineering miracle yes yes yes.
But a horrible economical business case also?

Form:yes
Function:yes
Cost:who cares