PDA

View Full Version : About Wake and Tarawa map

GoldenEagleFM
11-21-2004, 02:53 AM
The previous thresd on the topic was complaining on the fact that with the Wake map there was a loss of FPS.

I have notices no FPS loss with the Wake map. Be it from whatever altitude, low pass etc.
I even covered the island with palms and trees and got some FPS down but after having added hundreds of trees and palm trees, vehicles, planes, ships, artillery etc etc. So I would say that map is sound to me.

But with the Tarawa map I have a problem. There I get a significant FPS drop but only when the island or the coral reefs are covering a large part of the display. To me this means that the coral reefs that cover an immense sea surface in the lagoon and in shallow water are made up of very large and detailed textures, which probably is what eats up FPS. The Tarawa landmass or Betio island is pretty small and coastline is not complex so it really lies in the rendering of what is around at see.

I am somewhat disappointed as I wanted to build a Tarawa scenario but I will have to upgrade to the latest graphic cards very probably to do so.

My system is : P4 3.4 GHZ, ATI 9800XT (256 MB) with overdrive activated, 2GB DDR Corsair XMS 4000, Display Sony FD 520 21".

I play in 1600X1200 32 bit color mode, with AA set to 4X, no anisotropic filtering.

GoldenEagleFM
11-21-2004, 02:53 AM
The previous thresd on the topic was complaining on the fact that with the Wake map there was a loss of FPS.

I have notices no FPS loss with the Wake map. Be it from whatever altitude, low pass etc.
I even covered the island with palms and trees and got some FPS down but after having added hundreds of trees and palm trees, vehicles, planes, ships, artillery etc etc. So I would say that map is sound to me.

But with the Tarawa map I have a problem. There I get a significant FPS drop but only when the island or the coral reefs are covering a large part of the display. To me this means that the coral reefs that cover an immense sea surface in the lagoon and in shallow water are made up of very large and detailed textures, which probably is what eats up FPS. The Tarawa landmass or Betio island is pretty small and coastline is not complex so it really lies in the rendering of what is around at see.

I am somewhat disappointed as I wanted to build a Tarawa scenario but I will have to upgrade to the latest graphic cards very probably to do so.

My system is : P4 3.4 GHZ, ATI 9800XT (256 MB) with overdrive activated, 2GB DDR Corsair XMS 4000, Display Sony FD 520 21".

I play in 1600X1200 32 bit color mode, with AA set to 4X, no anisotropic filtering.

TheGozr
11-21-2004, 02:56 AM
1200X1600 no wonder, i play 1280X768 with a 3.7 AMD and 9800XT and i have no problem at all.