PDA

View Full Version : BoB on Xbox 360 / PS3 ?

CruiseTorpedo
05-15-2006, 09:26 AM
I think it would be great to get Oleg's new flight sim on one of these consoles! Maybe find a deal with CH products to create a controller for this purpose, perhaps a twist stick with quad throttle? I imagine it would be easier to trouble shoot and program for a console rather than a PC and you can get downloadable updates on these systems! I've heard ghost recon has a new expansion pack or something that's out now or will be soon that anyone with a high speed connection can download to their system and play.

Wanted to throw this out here and see what everyone thought. If BoB were released with a controller for xbox 360 would you buy it? I would!

mrsiCkstar
05-15-2006, 10:32 AM
I don't know...

simulations don't tend to work on consoles. and there's never been a real sim on a console system.

it would be great but unless someone developes a keyboard/ mouse system and a quality stick/ throttle system a sim of such caliber will never be ported onto a console without dumbing it down into an arcade shooter.

stubby
05-15-2006, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by mrsiCkstar:
it would be great but unless someone developes a keyboard/ mouse system and a quality stick/ throttle system a sim of such caliber will never be ported onto a console without dumbing it down into an arcade shooter.

It could be done without compromise. Differences would be lots of voice activated controls to compensate for lack of a keyboard input. Voice technology already exists to make this simple. As for a joystick, xbox already has a stick because I got one a long time ago when I got Crisom Skies and Secrete Weapaons Over Normandy. It's got 8 buttons, twisty stick plus a throttle. As for 'arcade' vs 'full real', the game will ship with sliders to customize it for each person's tastes.

The bigger question is why would a flight sim port be made for the console. If one is made it won't come from Ubi but Microsoft and their flight simulator series.

onebox33
05-15-2006, 11:30 AM
you know what is fly sim on a console ?
it is a fly arcade, and...why not on the phone http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

darkhorizon11
05-15-2006, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by onebox33:
you know what is fly sim on a console ?
it is a fly arcade, and...why not on the phone http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

Great Idea I'd love to play it on my Razor or heck even my Ipod!

knightflyte
05-15-2006, 11:58 AM
what IS a game console? A piece of computer hardware SPECIFICALLY designed to push polygons around a screen thus giving us the issusion of a differing reality that we normally see outside the tv screen.

What is a gaming computer? A piece of computer hardware SPECIFICALLY designed to push polygons around a screen thus giving us the issusion of a differing reality that we normally see outside the computer monitor.

The difference between the two is dedication. Computers are not streamlined to run just games. There are operating systems to interact with. There's driver issues.....audio sound cards vrs onboard sound....etc etc etc.

Gaming consoles have no competition for their resources, and can thus impliment 100% of the processing power to gaming. I think that is the consoles greatest strength.

Harddrives are being implimented into these things, so whats to stop Misrosoft or Sony from making a basic interaction driver for peripherals such as flight sticks, rudders....etc?

I also think that the 'COMFY FACTOR' of gaming is an added benifit. Being able to plop down on your big comfy couch, and flip a button to play a game isan attraction that rely defines liesure time. No muss no fuss.

To me is WHY simulations won't make it to the living room. There's a comfort level that console gaming has, and a differing level that computer gaming has (simulations in particular). I don't see the need or necessity to change my living room lifestyle to accomodate everything that a real simulation experience would require.

I have absolutely no doubt modern gaming consoles CAN do simulations. Do they really NEED to?

Agamemnon22
05-15-2006, 12:10 PM
I have this game for Xbox, which is sort of a proof of concept for what you're describing. It's called Steel Batallion, it's fairly simmy, as simmy as a game about gigantic walking mechs can be anyway. It's a fairly serious game, not just a shoot-em-up.

The thing came with a 2-stick, 3-pedal, 20-or-so buttonm, 1-gear shifter monstrosity of a controller. Incidently, that's less buttons than I use in IL-2, typically. So, it can be done. How successful it was is another story. I'm not privy to Midways sales records, but no expansions have been released, so I guess it didn't do all that well. I don't know if it was the cost of making the controller, but the final sales price was over $200.

So there is your answer. It CAN be done, but probably wouldn't be profitable. Besides, every simmer has a PC, while by far not every one of us has, or is about to pay the better half of a thousand bucks for, a game console.

Platypus_1.JaVA
05-15-2006, 12:30 PM
Please no....!!!!

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

That is like swearing in a church...

triad773
05-15-2006, 12:36 PM
Besides, every simmer has a PC, while by far not every one of us has, or is about to pay the better half of a thousand bucks for, a game console.

Well Agamemnon22 I think you are right in that most all simmers have PCs. I cannot imagine IL-2 on a console, let alone what I imagine BoB will be like. I myself have never been a console guy at all. Growing up my freinds had Atari, then they had what ever was hot next. For me the console environment lacks the flexibility, complexity and expandability that PCs have. And when's the last time anyone BUILT their own console from components?

There are so many things wrong with that argument (going console for a sim) I don't have the time to enumerate; but be sure of this point- even as consoles move toward a 'PC-lite' format, it doesn't tempt me one bit.

If it comes out on a console, chances are very likely I won't be buying it.

~S~

Triad

Vrabac
05-15-2006, 02:03 PM
Look at what consoles did to Elder Scrolls series... Maybe you change your mind. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Yes, they are basicaly computers specifically designed to push around polygons, but they tend to attract different people with different taste. And before you knew it, you'd get a green indicator showing you where to go. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Those who played Oblivion know what I'm talking about.

russ.nl
05-15-2006, 02:21 PM
It would be a degradation to the game.

mrsiCkstar
05-15-2006, 03:54 PM
It could be done without compromise. Differences would be lots of voice activated controls to compensate for lack of a keyboard input. Voice technology already exists to make this simple. As for a joystick, xbox already has a stick because I got one a long time ago when I got Crisom Skies and Secrete Weapaons Over Normandy. It's got 8 buttons, twisty stick plus a throttle. As for 'arcade' vs 'full real', the game will ship with sliders to customize it for each person's tastes.

yeah I'm aware of voice technology but as far as I know most games that use it have some problems with the game actually recognizing the right words etc...

I'm sure it can be done on a console, I hope it will. and I mean a proper sim. but it would take the creation of the controllers etc...

it's just a sad fact that every serious PC game that gets ported to the consoles gets dumbed down to arcade level. Ghost Recon is a prime example of this... the console version is vastly different from the PC version... levels are smaller and you get the enemies pointed out to you on the HUD etc. I don't know why they feel like they need to do it but they do.

I would love to get a real sim on a console... then I wouldn't have to worry about spending a ****load of money on upgrades to get decent framerates etc.

No601_prangster
05-15-2006, 03:59 PM
BoB will need 2GB of RAM to run. OK so windows might account for 256MB of that. How much RAM does an XBox360 have? (512 in case your interested)

A good PC is already better than an Xbxo360 and by the middle of next year PC's will be faster than a PS3. I'd imagine it will take a couple of years before there is a computer that will play BoB maxed out at high res.

Chuck_Older
05-15-2006, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Platypus_1.JaVA:
Please no....!!!!

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

That is like swearing in a church...

Platypus JaVA for President http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
05-15-2006, 05:15 PM
A flight sim console might not be such a bad idea if it was given a decent interface and peripherals.

Check out steel battalion when it came out for XBOX

http://xboxcommx.iespana.es/steel-battalion-controller-2.jpg

Pretty elaborate for a console

Quite a few of the folks here technically already have a virtual console as most of them only own the pc in order to play IL2.

So whilst I agree that any kind of cut down version of Bob would be unacceptable. I do think, that if one could be made, a dedicated simulation console would be a neat idea if a little niche market.

Think a console with contempory pc technology, peripherals like rudder pedals hotas track ir type camera and voice command all bundled into one neat and tidy package.

Given the impending cost of upgrading our pc's in order to run BOB and the inevitable 'Patching' and 'installing' issues I think perhaps the possibility of a next gen console would not be that bad and idea. Also consoles titles (all though not impossible) are a little more complicated to pirate and a certain level of technical expertise is required.

Of course the downside with all consoles is they are only as good as the technology that existed at the time they were made, but I do think that console's are starting to become more advanced.

Whilst no where near what we need at present don't underestimate the way things are going with consoles.

Personaly if Oleg made a console I would be there with my money.

Console title, not so keen

CruiseTorpedo
05-15-2006, 05:46 PM
I'm actually surprised the new consoles arent made with swappable video cards in them and a few ports for more ram and an upgradable cpu. Just like a PC! I didnt know how much ram the xbox 360 came with, half a gig does sound pretty small since more and more PCs are coming with at least a gig in them. I only see budget systems come with less.

Anyway, seems like most would be cool with it if Oleg did it, just kept it at a simulation level not go the ghost recon route. I wonder what kinda resolution the 360 and ps3 can run. Would be a good thing all around if this happened IMO, naturalpoint could jump on board, CH hardware in there, Oleg getting income from console sales and so on! Maybe in his next sim project when the xbox 720 is out LOL

Agamemnon22
05-17-2006, 11:50 AM
And then there's this:
Flight Simulator X for the 360 (http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/flight-simulator-x/679528p1.html)

Just saw a demo today, instantly brought this thread to mind. Still don't think it'll fly tho (*cough*cough*.. sorry)

OldMan____
05-19-2006, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by knightflyte:
what IS a game console? A piece of computer hardware SPECIFICALLY designed to push polygons around a screen thus giving us the issusion of a differing reality that we normally see outside the tv screen.

What is a gaming computer? A piece of computer hardware SPECIFICALLY designed to push polygons around a screen thus giving us the issusion of a differing reality that we normally see outside the computer monitor.

The difference between the two is dedication. Computers are not streamlined to run just games. There are operating systems to interact with. There's driver issues.....audio sound cards vrs onboard sound....etc etc etc.

Gaming consoles have no competition for their resources, and can thus impliment 100% of the processing power to gaming. I think that is the consoles greatest strength.

Harddrives are being implimented into these things, so whats to stop Misrosoft or Sony from making a basic interaction driver for peripherals such as flight sticks, rudders....etc?

I also think that the 'COMFY FACTOR' of gaming is an added benifit. Being able to plop down on your big comfy couch, and flip a button to play a game isan attraction that rely defines liesure time. No muss no fuss.

To me is WHY simulations won't make it to the living room. There's a comfort level that console gaming has, and a differing level that computer gaming has (simulations in particular). I don't see the need or necessity to change my living room lifestyle to accomodate everything that a real simulation experience would require.

I have absolutely no doubt modern gaming consoles CAN do simulations. Do they really NEED to?

That is quite a mith. As a gemae developer myself, I must say. Console DO have operating systems, and almost all the garbage that PC have. The advantage is thatr there is a SIGNLE MODEL!! You can make a function and you know exactly how many microseconds it will take to execute.. always. You can time up operatiosn and squeeze resources more precisely and more efficiently because you know what will be available.

But consle users usually want a game where you sit and are in action within 30 seconds. PC games are usually different focus, more harcore gaming, with more complex gameplay.

joeap
05-20-2006, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by Agamemnon22:
And then there's this:
Flight Simulator X for the 360 (http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/flight-simulator-x/679528p1.html)

Just saw a demo today, instantly brought this thread to mind. Still don't think it'll fly tho (*cough*cough*.. sorry)

Read carefully, it is on an Xbox site but is listed for PC.