PDA

View Full Version : Does decoy do ANYTHING in Assassination?

GFurie
03-10-2011, 08:45 PM
If everyone is fair game, I want to be able to pick someone and make them run. If that npc turns out to be a person, normal rules apply.

As far as I can tell though, nothing is happening.

Also, maybe I just suck at Assassination, but I think the skill level required to get 10,000 points in Wanted are um, near impossible. And if this total is to be lumped together, say goodbye to my Grand Master overall Templar score. Actually, say goodbye to me playing at all. I like the idea of Assassination, but between not being able to lock on, lag, and the rest of the players I end up with having some form of Godlike abilities, this just isn't fun.

Yes, that's whining. I know it. If you're really gonna tell me that the new way to play is to stand on a roof with templar vision and poach aerial kills, smoke bomb poison clouds, and completely bs stuns... it's just not fun for me anymore.

Oh yeah, so does decoy do anything? Disguise seems useless too. Knives for that matter... Morph, and sprint.. Is this the firecracker / smoke bomb / poison / mute / templar vision / charge game now? Ugh. 10,000 points just makes me sick to my stomach for the unskilled freebies I'm seeing happen.

/rant off
MrJagermeister

DudeTD388
03-10-2011, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by GFurie:
If everyone is fair game, I want to be able to pick someone and make them run. If that npc turns out to be a person, normal rules apply.

As far as I can tell though, nothing is happening.

Also, maybe I just suck at Assassination, but I think the skill level required to get 10,000 points in Wanted are um, near impossible. And if this total is to be lumped together, say goodbye to my Grand Master overall Templar score. Actually, say goodbye to me playing at all. I like the idea of Assassination, but between not being able to lock on, lag, and the rest of the players I end up with having some form of Godlike abilities, this just isn't fun.

Yes, that's whining. I know it. If you're really gonna tell me that the new way to play is to stand on a roof with templar vision and poach aerial kills, smoke bomb poison clouds, and completely bs stuns... it's just not fun for me anymore.

Oh yeah, so does decoy do anything? Disguise seems useless too. Knives for that matter... Morph, and sprint.. Is this the firecracker / smoke bomb / poison / mute / templar vision / charge game now? Ugh. 10,000 points just makes me sick to my stomach for the unskilled freebies I'm seeing happen.

/rant off
MrJagermeister

With all due respect, why does less than two sentences of this post actually have to do with your title?

Anyways to remain somewhat on topic, decoy works great to lure out those who haven't ID'd you. Locate a target, blend, pop decoy (disguised variety works best) attack the player when they run.

It's not foolproof, but it does work more often than not.

GFurie
03-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Dude388:

With all due respect, why does less than two sentences of this post actually have to do with your title?

Anyways to remain somewhat on topic, decoy works great to lure out those who haven't ID'd you. Locate a target, blend, pop decoy (disguised variety works best) attack the player when they run.

It's not foolproof, but it does work more often than not.

Sorry, I had that coming. I was in the middle of some rage issues =)

My issue was that I couldn't tell if decoy literally did anything at all. As in, did I need to target my own character model? I sat in a blend group and listened to the sound of a decoy, but in the ui nothing happened until the time had passed and the cooldown showed up. The npc I tried to decoy stood there as I was royally murdered.

As a deathmatch of sorts though, if I have an npc selected to decoy, my compass goes away. So, if multiple assassins are nearing, the last thing I want to do is remove my ability to at least see what direction they're coming from by locking the decoy target. Even if it does something, and I missed it, timing is everything in this game mode. I would much rather see an assassination take place up ahead, target a nearby npc (of any persona) and decoy him, giving the impression that they've been made and are running or stunning, allowing me to walk up casually and poison.

Sorry for being off topic, I'm days behind with the ps3 later release date then system update, and I was getting frustrated finding out the things that don't work the hard way for 400 points to others 10,000.

obliviondoll
03-11-2011, 03:52 AM
Sounds like either your decoy glitched, or you managed to wait too long locked on - I don't know if it works properly when the NPC has been designated as a target. I DO know that assigned targets don't react to Firecrackers like normal NPCs, and will stand around choking like a player when Poisoned though.

I've seen decoy used in Assassinate, and fallen for it a couple of times.

FlailingAmigo
03-11-2011, 04:03 AM
You need to fire off decoy as soon as you lock, before they are assigned as a target. Otherwise it just goes into cooldown and you've wasted and ability. So you cant stand in a blend group with an NPC locked on ready for decoy like you can in other modes.

I tried using it in the first day, but most players will have already locked you before you get time to decoy, and won't be distracted by it.

RoboEssk
03-11-2011, 10:35 AM
I fire off the decoy without locking, the target just needs to be close enough to have the highlight over their head when in the crosshair. I normally decoy from within a blend group so that's not an issue. It's got me a couple of rare assasinate-lures as well as the not-so-rare killed a few times....

GFurie
03-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Obliviondoll and FlailingAmigo, that's exactly what I did wrong. I was in a blend group, with no one around. As I started to see a few arrows appear, I targeted and readied a decoy, and my compass went away, fired off the decoy and he stood there. Annnd, I died.

I'll play with it in game a bit to see, but can anyone tell me if in Assassinate if you're able to decoy any npc and not just your own character model? I really want to use it for distraction and revealing purposes, and not cover.

Thanks!
MrJagermeister

Diaviec
03-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by GFurie:

I'll play with it in game a bit to see, but can anyone tell me if in Assassinate if you're able to decoy any npc and not just your own character model? I really want to use it for distraction and revealing purposes, and not cover.

Thanks!
MrJagermeister

Yes, you can target any NPC. They will then turn into a duplicate. However, if a potential pursuer sees it change that could pose a problem. So you can use it on any, but a clone would be your best bet.

iseelifeinhd
03-11-2011, 08:49 PM
I've figured this out in my first few games. If you LOCK ONTO SOMEONE, then press Decoy, IT WILL NOT WORK. Since you are targeting and locking on someone, it makes that person a target. In case you haven't played other modes, you can't make your targets into decoys.

The only way decoy will work, is if you just HIGHLIGHT a person, decoy will work. So, drag your reticle over an NPC, when the LT or R1 prompt appears over their head, press decoy.

Whalah!

And, Decoy will get you the 100 points for a lure.

Explosiveb0b
03-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Uhhh I have locked and decoyed many times, but I do it instantly so that the person I lock onto does not become my target.

GFurie
03-12-2011, 04:02 PM
I wait too long, making them my contract. I wonder if Ubisoft would be willing to alter the way decoy works in Assassination.

If I see the Knight lurking around, looking suspicious, and the footpad trying to determine if he is or isn't, I would love to target a Knight and send him running, thereby making one to two people break cover, and hopefully 2 kills for me. I don't really want anyone seeing decoys of my persona run and fade away. Draws a little too much attention to me I think.

PryingTuna85649
03-13-2011, 03:43 PM
I was walking toward an area of Alambra (sp?) that seems to have a lot of action going on (lots of NPC groups) and had a decoy running toward me. I was still enough of a distance away and around a corner so the sender could not have seen me. I locked on, killed, and was pretty annoyed as the only other person between myself and where I was headed turned out NOT to be an NPC. In that way, it can sometimes work out.