PDA

View Full Version : Invert Mouse "Y" axis

myster3
09-22-2005, 03:57 PM
I have noticed that there is no in-game support for an inverted mouse "Y" axis. Is there a config file I can edit to allow this functionality? I have searched for one, but have so far been unable to loacte one.

If not, is there any plan to add this feature with a patch? Just as with Myst IV, it is difficult to believe that this is not an out-of-the-box option. Inverted "Y" axis functionality has been a common game option since 1996 or so. After nearly 10 years of gaming a certain way, it is very difficult to adjust to mouse-look without this feature.

Thanks,

myster3

mryosho
09-24-2005, 09:46 PM
Yeah, it is completely ridiculous that this is not there.
This is not difficult.

I would not count on any patches unless they are catastrophic bugs since Cyan closed.

Mr Zebe D
09-25-2005, 02:04 AM
Cyan has reopened. That doesn't guarantee a patch but it does make it possible.

bobcat68
10-10-2005, 04:27 PM
Many people complained about the same thing in Myst 4. I guess they don't actually listen to their customers.

myster3
10-13-2005, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by bobcat68:
Many people complained about the same thing in Myst 4. I guess they don't actually listen to their customers.

what i don't get is that the option is part of Myst III ([Ctrl] + "I" inverts the Y axis), and it is also part of URU (right on the options screen!). i haven't played Myst IV yet, but i have been told they added the option along with a patch. so, why include it for III, IV, and URU - and then leave it out for V???

i'm still hoping that they add it in with the patch (if there is a patch, that is).

-myster3

Flora-Steel
11-04-2005, 03:05 PM
Gee whiz...this actually remains unresolved for V! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

swpalmer
11-05-2005, 10:30 PM
Why would anyone want this feature? Myst isn't a flight simulator http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Flora-Steel
11-06-2005, 12:55 AM
Why? Because people get set in their ways and some things are opposite. In the U.S. vs the U.K. you have driving on the opposite side of the road and light switches that work backwards to contend with. It would be a simple programming courtesy to allow an option to reverse the y-axis up-down sense.

To add insult to injury there is a recent adventure, Castlevania, that has the x-axis wired backwards too (I understand--from a reliable source). Move the mouse to the right to turn the camera right and instead it goes left. This is normal for some just like mouse forward to look up is normal for some...but not for all and not for me. This game apparently has no option to reverse this x-axis.

I think it is a sad oversight. Regardless of whether this mouse pointing sense bothers you or not I hope you can understand how it could affect others--some who might fly real aircraft and not just simulators and FPSs. Contact Ubisoft and/or any developers/publishers where you see a similar situation and ask them to add configuration options to eliminate the issue.

Thanks.

Amigalander
12-24-2005, 08:19 PM
Wow, I would have never imagined a game without a Y-axis option. I was so shocked upon installing and testing the game that I instantly quit and came here to find a solution. If there truly is no way to reverse the Y-axis, I will be sadly uninstalling the game and returning it as defective.

Has anyone found any way to do this? Maybe with a 3rd-party setting, or even a Windows registry setting?

Pal_Pucsok
01-02-2006, 11:39 AM
I hate too Cyan's continual Y axis problem!
I've already ransacked the whole world for a patch for the third episode too what can resolve this problem. (The 1.0 version didn't accept CTRL+I.)
I will get crazy if don't come any patch for Myst V!
What a shame for Cyan: the best adventure game with stupid deficiencies!

maf-soft
08-14-2007, 12:39 AM
Hi all,

better late than never: the solution is here!

http://www.maf-soft.de/mafmouse/

A mouse filter driver to invert or rotate mouse axis/axes - it works on Windows 2000 and up.

Heimdall_G
08-14-2007, 04:31 PM
Is this freeware, that is, no fee required?

maf-soft
08-15-2007, 12:38 AM
It is free to try, but if you are happy with it and continue using it, you need to pay 10 USD / 7,50 EUR for private use.
Commercial/other use has to be discussed, and for handycapped persons the fee is optional.

dukmiester2
10-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by maf-soft:
Hi all,

better late than never: the solution is here!

http://www.maf-soft.de/mafmouse/

A mouse filter driver to invert or rotate mouse axis/axes - it works on Windows 2000 and up.

Well, thank you for this! I have just re-loaded all of the Myst games I own:

Myst, Riven, Exile, Uru Complete Chronicles, and Myst V: End of Ages. I'm just now going through the "expansion packs" for Uru, and was really hoping a fix would come up for EOA regarding the lack of inversable "Y" axis.

Will download the driver now, and if it works for me I will be registering the software.

Thanks again for posting this. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif