PDA

View Full Version : this game is too hard

Avont29
08-10-2006, 10:21 AM
this game is too hard its not even fun at all http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

im trying to learn, i've tried the quick misisons builder, but i can't even hit an anemy plane with rookie skill level

the planes don't fly right, i stall out alot

and its too hard to keep the crosshair on the enemy with my joystick, i have to lightly touch it which is really ahrd

and i set my elevator and ailerton negative trim and positive trim for my arrow keys but it respons too slowly

think i should use my POV hats for aileron and elevator trim?

i've looked at the training missions, i just can't do it

Brain32
08-10-2006, 10:23 AM
Try a Spitfire http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif
No, no, try a La5 or La7 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Haigotron
08-10-2006, 10:28 AM
This is a sim, not an arcade game so the learning curve as you may expect is muuuuuch steeper than any other game out there.

Just put in more time, i was a horrible shot, i couldnt even shoot the ground even if i aimed at it. But slowly surely you'll get it.

Start with friendly bombers, and shoot them (ignore their cries for help) then move to enemy bombers, then enemy twin engine fighters, then enemy fighters.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

start with "easier" planes i guess: BF109E or F series, spitfire, la5fn, yak3 (beware - online considered to be easy way out)

then you can start adding some realism to the game

as for the joystick sensitivity, try toning down the sensitivity in hardware setup, and see how it feels then http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Scharnhorst1943
08-10-2006, 10:31 AM
First of all, it never will be fun and you never will do it with that kind of attitude and approach to this sim.

Second, if you are having joystick problems, you definitely need to adjust them. Do a search on the forum for "Joystick settings" OR "Oleg's joystick settings." As far as you stalling alot, the only advice I have is that not all planes fly the same. You cannot jerk and turn a Bf-110 like a spitfire or zero. Some planes are extremly manuverable, while others require a little more finnesse to handle them properly. Some planes you have to use energy tactics or "Boom and Zoom." And yet other planes are better in a vertical type fight.

Thirdly, are you flying online or offline? If you are just starting out, fly offline until you get the hang of it.

And lastly, You will never master this sim. You will constantly improve. The more you play, the better you get. But if you adjust your joystick settings, I think you will not be able to comprehend how much things will improve.

WWMaxGunz
08-10-2006, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Avont29:
this game is too hard its not even fun at all http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

You are not beyond improving since you can admit that!

Trim... tap keys or hat clicks if you have extra hat on hotas.

For fun right offline click off many difficulty switches.
You can switch them back later as you get bored although some habits you will have to unlearn.

Much of the spins and difficulty shooting is because the plane is probably flying crooked.
It takes use of the rudder just as in reality to keep the plane flying straight and shooting
where you aim.

To do that without watching the slip ball or slip indicator (it is a needle guage in Spitfire
IX, way down at bottom right of the instrument panel) takes a lot of practice just flying to
learn only flying. Some day you do that and the planes will suddenly "get better" as a result.
You will also know what conditions to avoid and so not stall or spin which is what real don't
wanna crash and die pilots do in training. But then, they don't have difficulty switches.

SeaFireLIV
08-10-2006, 11:02 AM

ohh, diddums. Is litty ittty bitty game too bobbly wobbly hard to playyyy?

Sarcasm aside. this is a sim, not an arcade game. To help you, though, go into the game config and set to EASY settings, no engine management, easy takoffs, easy gunnery, novice AI, etc...

and your life shhould feel far more...

...fun.

spiffyscimitar
08-10-2006, 11:17 AM
Avont29. Don't take it too hard, most of the people here have been playing forever.

Think of it as you would learning a new sport.. say, hockey. You're not going to jump on the ice and score with a slapshot to the top corner. You first have to learn how ice affects your movement. How to skate. How to move a puck with a stick. How to shoot the puck in the net. And then learn how to get through the opposing team to do it.

Same here.

russ.nl
08-10-2006, 11:23 AM
Inmagion how you'll feel when you are getting better. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Chuck_Older
08-10-2006, 11:28 AM

im trying to learn, i've tried the quick misisons builder, but i can't even hit an anemy plane with rookie skill level

and its too hard to keep the crosshair on the enemy with my joystick, i have to lightly touch it which is really ahrd

and i set my elevator and ailerton negative trim and positive trim for my arrow keys but it respons too slowly

Let's start at the beginning- let's get you flying around first. What airplane do you like? Pick one. Don't worry about trim for a minute- don't get bogged down in every detail

triad773
08-10-2006, 11:29 AM
Yes Avont29 - most of us here have been playing sims long before this one came out. Flight simulators can be great fun of course! Each has its own way of doing things.

ESPECIALLY if this is your first flight sim, don't walk away so easilly. Seems like many here (myself included,) used to play Micro$oft Combat Flight Simulator 1, 2 or 3. This game is buttloads better than those.

Stick with it: follow the suggestion from the other gents: when you get your first kill, it will be that much sweeter!

Best of luck, and rememeber to have fun- sight see, look for bogies, and nail them suckers.

RegRag1977
08-10-2006, 11:35 AM

How lucky you are!

You have many things to learn with this sim, and each thing you'll learn will give you satisfaction. Don't give up, mate, it's the beginning of a passion that you're experiencing now.

Don't be discouraged by Ai (yes it cheats) or by Human Gods, you'll improve and become one of them soon if you practice a lot...

Welcome to Olegs sim, many years of fun in perspective! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Breeze147
08-10-2006, 12:18 PM
Go to the top of this page. Click on the second thread. Scroll down to Sturmovik Essentials. Start reading.

Practice takeoffs and landing over and over and over. This will give you a feel for how your aircraft handles. Set up a mission with an airfield in it. Take off. Fly around. Land. Take off or do touch n' go's.

The IL-2 is the most forgiving plane in the entire sim.

Don't worry about aerial gunnery right off. Take the IL-2 out and just bomb, rocket and strafe stuff.

Learn Complex Engine Management and the principles of trim. It will be a pain at first but will soon become second nature.

Fly the canned Il-2 missions until you get them down pat. You'll soon find they never turn out the exact same way twice.

Find a nice early war fighter to practice with. The P-40 or the Hurricane are the best for a beginner. Don't worry about gunnery until you learn basic combat maneuvers. When you can get within 200 meters of your enemy consistently, you might be able to start thinking about shooting skills.

Practice, practice, practice.

Visit the Community Help Forum to get your machine set up correctly.

Have fun!

Avont29
08-10-2006, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Avont29:

Let's start at the beginning- let's get you flying around first. What airplane do you like? Pick one. Don't worry about trim for a minute- don't get bogged down in every detail </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ok, well, umm, i like the spitfire, the corsair and the umm, p-47 is pretty nice

if you wanna help me train im no hyperlobby right now, my name is 100th_Ox

Chuck_Older
08-10-2006, 12:55 PM
my advice?

Pick one plane. Just one

After you decide, leave hyperlobby

learn to control the basics of the aircraft offline, where nobody shouts you down or shoots you down, you can hit pause if you like, and so on

You've been jumping into the deep end from the highest platform withiut testing the waters http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Divine-Wind
08-10-2006, 01:03 PM
Yeah, pick ONE and ONLY one plane to begin with. I wouldn't recommend the Spitfire, it does too many things too easily, but don't pick a very 'advanced' plane. The Corsair and Thudnerbolt are pretty good, as you can take a pounding in them and still go.
Once you get the basics, you might want to try getting into dogfights without ammunition, and just sticking to as many people's tails as you can.

Treetop64
08-10-2006, 01:25 PM
Advont29, first let me say thanks to you for coming to us asking for help. There are literally hundreds of us in this forum who will jump at the chance to help out a new kid (or new old fart http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif).

The sim is very difficult for new players, especially for those who did not expect the level of fidelity present in this product. Everyone, and I mean everyone sucked at this sim when they first started.

Follow the advice given by all the good guys in this forum, be patient, and above all else - practice, practice, and practice more. This sim requires commitment to be any good at, and you will only be good in the long run, not overnight.

Oh, and like Chuck said, stay the heck away from Hyperlobby for now. Not that there's anything wrong with it (it's great) but many of us most experienced players regularly get our, um..., our backsides handed to us regularly in that realm.

Hang in there and have fun! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

triad773
08-10-2006, 01:35 PM
Justa thought here: after you've been up and maybe got shot down or whatever, SAVE the track and play it back. Change persepctives and see what else was going on. How did the bogie get the jump on you?

SA (situational awareness) very important: when suspecting bogies near by (or even if not,) get into habit of hitting F6 key. It padlocks bogie view in relation to you.

Avoidance tip: get a bogie on your tail, and seeing tracers fly by? Don't freak: it's a sim! you can die many many times and you can go again. USE the rudder to slide your crate when being fired at; break right, with F6 view: see how they react; it's tres cool, and in TIME, not as frustrating.

Old Zen saying http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif : some days you are the bug; other days you are the windshield.

Enjoy the challenge!

carguy_
08-10-2006, 02:04 PM
Hey don`t be hard on yourself.Many of us have been training since like 2002,many of us had gone through WWIIOL,BoB and many more earlier flight sims.

I know just how you feel.This is a very unfriendly game if you go too far and place on realistic settings.Just turn them off.You will see how fun the game is.Then when you feel you`re good,turn on another realism option.

You see,I tried to play some Toca Race Driver2 recently.Ofcourse I turned on ADVANCED SIMULATION STEERING mode on.I was crashing the car every 100m.I can`t even make a single lap on that realistic mode.I`m plain lame in TRD2.I selected the easy mode and had much fun.
Figured it aint worth the time to train since the world of car racing online is not just what I want it to be.

If you ask me,IL2 is worth your time if you really like that sort of stuff.Keep it down,slow progress offline.I bought IL2 in March 2002.In May I tought I was good enough with all offline realistic settings turned on.Went online and was getting owned time and time again.After a year and a half of online playing I started to dominate.

I know that 3 years of training seem to be kinda crazy.But I did it.I liked the game.

Divine-Wind
08-10-2006, 02:12 PM
Yeah, don't feel like a chump if you get downed even before take-off every time you jump online. I'm still working on my online gunnery skills (*%#*!@$^# game pauses!), and I've played the entire series (sans the Pe-2 addon, ATM) since 2001. Of course, my FB/PF online gaming has been sporadic.

Avont29
08-10-2006, 02:38 PM
hey i've been doing dogfights with the quick missions builder, i killed a few

u, i think i chose corsair for my plane of choice

but i have two questions:

1.) i'l like for it to when i let go of the stick that the plane stays straight, i mean with the corsair i et go of stick and it goes flying upward like i jerked the stick back. my flaps are rasied dunno what the prob is

2.) im behind an enemy, and im breaking my neck and wrist to try and keep the crosshair on the target, the trims respong too slowly, so i should lower sensitives for the stick right? how do i do that?

Treetop64
08-10-2006, 02:58 PM
You picked a peculiar plane, bro. In this sim, the Corsair has some horizontal stability issues, and is one of the more difficult planes in the sim to fly, so I'd recommend a different type. The Hurricane is a perfect plane to learn in, as well as many of the Yaks and LaGGs. Try 'em out.

You'll DEFINITELY want to lower the sesitivity settings on the pitch and yaw axis for the joystick. Most, if not all, players have done this.

> On the game's main menu, select "Hardware Setup".

> Then select "Input"

> You'll see a series of vertical bars on the right side of the screen. You may want to experiment with different settings, but what has worked best for me was to make the maximum (or last bar setting) an "80", then subtract 8 from each bar as I work my way left, until the first bar shows an "8". Do this for both the pitch (nose moving up and down) and yaw (nose moving right and left) settings. Don't touch the Roll settings (wings rolling right or left). The axis setting selections are in the upper left corner of the screen.

> Then look just below the ten vertical bars on the right of the screen. You'll see two horizontal bars that say "Dead Band" and "Filtering". Again, what has worked best for me is to slide the dead band about a fifth of the way to the right, and to slide the filtering all the way to the right.

These settings take away much of the extreme twitchiness that comes with the default settings, and makes the planes in the sim much more controllable and enjoyable to fly. Unless you have a high-end joystick and throttle, the default settings aren't ideal. I use a Saitek gampad and my custom settings are just about perfect for it.

Experiment with the settings and see what works best for you.

Oh, and one more thing. If you're planning on playing the game with the keyboard only, well... all I can say is good luck. You should attempt a do-it-yourself brain transplant instead; I think that would be easier. Get at least a good quality gamepad if you don't already have one.

Have fun, and call back often!

Jaws2002
08-10-2006, 03:12 PM

1.) i'l like for it to when i let go of the stick that the plane stays straight, i mean with the corsair i et go of stick and it goes flying upward like i jerked the stick back. my flaps are rasied dunno what the prob is

2.) im behind an enemy, and im breaking my neck and wrist to try and keep the crosshair on the target, the trims respong too slowly, so i should lower sensitives for the stick right? how do i do that?

1.)That is because the aircraft's elevator is out of trim. Few clicks of "elevator trim down" Will fix that. Remember one thing about trim in this game: if assigned on buttons the trim has few seconds delay. If is assigned on axis ( in the "Hotas" area of the controls), the trim reacts faster and is much easier to work with.
If you have free sliders or axis on your stick that would help.
Your problem there is that your aircraft is trimmed for lower speed. That's why it tries to pull up.
Do this: after you take of climb to the altitude you want to fly and accelerate to the speed you'll usually fly and fight. Then trim the plane for that speed.350-500 km/h will do just fine. This way you'll have to make much smaller adjustments during combat.

2.) That is not easy to do, specially with a high performance aircraft with a lot of torque like the Corsair.

If you lower the stick sensitivity the aircraft will react slower to your stick movements and will help with general stability of the aircraft, but i'm not sure if will help get the guns on target just now. As many here stated,in this game, during combat there are so many things you can do to control the aircraft better and more precise, that EXPERIENCE is the only thing that will bring your enemy in your gunsight faster.
Keep flying and have fun. Don't worry if you get shot down time after time. This is how is gonna be for a while.
Record tracks of your flights and watch them after from outside view. You'll get a better understanding of the 'big picture".

One more thing. Flying in wide view is a lot better for getting the "feel of flying" and for controlling the aircraft.

Good luck.

VW-IceFire
08-10-2006, 03:13 PM

I think you've picked an excellent aircraft to start with. The Corsair is difficult, unforgiving, and yet quite impressive in its abilities. Be it ground attack or destroying enemy fighters in the air the Corsair is a good plane. But remember that during WWII the Corsairs nicknames included "the ensign eliminator" for all of the rookie pilots that it killed.

This is a good plane to learn on because you're going to unlearn some very bad habbits very quickly.

To answer your questions.

1) When you let go of the stick the aircrafts controls may then be neutral, however, other forces acting on the plane are not. The problem you're experiencing is related to your speed and elevator trim. The default controls for elevator trim are Ctrl and the arrow keys (up and down). Practice in the QMB with no other planes nearby just setting the elevator trim so that at a reasonable speed the plane is more or less flying level. Corsairs have full trim for rudder, aileron, and elevator so look these controls up and use them to keep the plane flying straight.

2) Stick sensitivity is in the options panel inside of the game. I forget the exact names of the panels but you'll get to Joystick and then look for Input and you'll get a screen with the sensitivity settings for your stick. By default they will go 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 100. I tend to start off 1 6 15 26 and go towards 100 only at the very end (so 82 94 100).

Keep in mind that the Corsair is not very stable in terms of rudder usage. Its a bit of a bug actually but its not a huge one. It frustrates aim for even the best pilots. Focus on careful and calm control of the plane...you don't need to break wrists or your neck. The more you fight the plane the more it fights back. Be calm, gentle, and sensitive.

This aircraft will reward your careful flying more than most. If you want a plane with more benign handling try the Hurricane Mark II or the A6M Zero. These planes are very easy to fly...their performance isn't anywhere as good as the Corsairs but they will make some things easy to do.

Most of us here, who have been flying for a while, tended to stick with just one or two planes for a long time and learn those two good. The game is overwhelming with over 160 variants to choose from but try and limit yourself to just one type...prove that you can do reasonably well in that type and then move forward to expand your understanding.

Each plane is very different...unique...and more or less historical. You mentioned the P-47 as being a favourite...its a great aircraft but tough to fight in unless your well versed in its use like the pilots who really flew them.

I came to this stuff more or less like you. I was new, hadn't played a sim in years, but I knew it was going to take some time so I spent the time whenever I could. Now I feel more or less confident in any plane...but it took a while to do it. Give it time!

Good luck!

msalama
08-10-2006, 03:35 PM
No it isn't. Really.

msalama
08-10-2006, 03:40 PM
OK, sorry, that wasn't too constructive. What you will have to do is PRACTICE. The more, the better. And for the best results, do it online.

So you'll just have to persevere in order to master the environment, which, in all frankness, can be pretty frustrating. Good luck http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

WWMaxGunz
08-10-2006, 04:42 PM
When you adjust stick sensitivity sliders you do it for one stick axis at a time.
First axis shown is pitch axis which is elevator. You may also adjust roll and yaw
which are ailerons and rudder. Adjust them all, try them out and re-adjust for your
stick, PC and how you move plus many planes you want to be different from others.
There is a utility to save and switch settings made and available by Fool_Trottle.
Search for that, it will save you time and headaches.

FILTER is golden to smoothing your moves out. It is fiber for player control.

DEADZONE is don't use unless your stick has a load of slop.

Don't rest the weight of your hand and arm on the stick, it makes control sloppy.

Practice just flying while concentrating on what you are doing flying until you have
no trouble keeping speed up. Learn not to stall your speed away.

TC_Stele
08-10-2006, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
my advice?

Pick one plane. Just one

After you decide, leave hyperlobby

learn to control the basics of the aircraft offline, where nobody shouts you down or shoots you down, you can hit pause if you like, and so on

You've been jumping into the deep end from the highest platform withiut testing the waters http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Best advice out there. It took me a long time to realize that, but after feeling comfortable with one plane (which was about 2 to 3 weeks) I had enough confidence and experience to try other planes out.

Hashmark13
08-10-2006, 04:55 PM
I think a slight problem is a lot of people are coming from games like combat simulator 3, where you can yank and jerk your stick all around in any plane.

Many planes have characteristics that cause them to pull up or down and roll at different power settings. These are real life attributes of the plane (more or less). This is why your plane is pulling up, quite simply, correct it and hold your stick there. Power adjustments may require you find a new position for your stick.

When you fly the 109's, you'll be disgusted at the obnoxious roll tendancy it has, but after a while you don't even have to think about correcting it and maintaining level flight.

Many planes don't have aileron trim so all you've got is elevator and most of the time rudder trim. The Corsair is an incredibly hard plane to learn in. It is an Energy fighter. It relies on an altitude/speed advantage over the enemy fighter.

Spitfire isn't as easy as everyone here is saying. Sure it can out turn most any enemy, but fly it against another spitfire, and the person who can turn "on the edge" will have the turning advantage, even though the planes are the same.

If you have a force feedback joystick, you can feel your plane beginning to stall, and you can let up just a tiny bit, and turn on the very edge of the stall. Use a small amount of rudder to maintain a turn on the edge of a stall.

WWMaxGunz
08-10-2006, 05:02 PM
I remember thinking how advanced Bob Dinnermans F-16 sim on the Amiga was back in 86....
Next time I saw such a big step was Red Baron 2 that I got in 1998, esp the 1.44 patch
but when RB3D was released they really screwed the flight modelling but wicked.
And then comes along IL2 and since 4.03 oh yeah the pilot workload is up another notch
from previous enough to freak the ones who think they were doing everything right, hehehe.

Take your time Avont! This sim is worth studying real pilot materials as it will improve
your game strongly. Like see if your library has a copy of 'Stick and Rudder' or a Ground
School manual. You don't need to memorize it all right off but the parts on flying that
you can put into practice (some parts will still be beyond the sim) will help turn you
into a better player. After that if you're still hot to learn more then go find Robert
Shaw's 'Fighter Combat' (Naval Press) and above all --- take your time with any of that
stuff to understand each part by using it otherwise it's just a jumble of trivia.

WWMaxGunz
08-10-2006, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Hashmark13:
When you fly the 109's, you'll be disgusted at the obnoxious roll tendancy it has, but after a while you don't even have to think about correcting it and maintaining level flight.

Use rudder for that, right?

skarden
08-10-2006, 07:43 PM
Here go to this link and download the PDF of "In Pursuit" This was shown to me by Bearcat(who has helped me more then anyone else,thank you BC http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif)

in pursuit (http://web.comhem.se/%7Eu85627360/)

This booked helped me so much its crazy,you dont have to read all of it(although you prob. will http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif ) but start at the start and work your way through it,
trust me,this is my first real flight sim and this book explained a HELL OF A LOT of things that i didnt know but had too.and although I'm still not that good at it I now know where im goin wrong now(most of the time anyway http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif)

Keep at it man it's an amazingly rewarding game once you get the hang of it.

P.S. Listen the the guys above me too they know what they're talkin about. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Divine-Wind
08-10-2006, 08:24 PM
Yeah, I read that too, Skarden. Great stuff, really in depth... Except... I don't know what the heck he's talking about when it comes to the maneuvering. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif It's like trying to explain to me the concept of pi... ("*blah blah blah* pi *blah blah blah*..." "Did someone say 'pie?'")

I can understand everything else, but I'm suddenly overwhelmed by dyslexia when it comes to talking about twists and turns and flips and immelmens and double-helixes (whatever the **** those are http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif) and stuff.

skarden
08-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Divine-Wind:
Yeah, I read that too, Skarden. Great stuff, really in depth... Except... I don't know what the heck he's talking about when it comes to the maneuvering. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif It's like trying to explain to me the concept of pi... ("*blah blah blah* pi *blah blah blah*..." "Did someone say 'pie?'")

lol http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif
yeah i had that same prob,some it i read like 5 times and still didnt know what the hell he was talkin about.
but a friend of mine bought me a couple of Robotech jet fighter's from china(they transform and everything!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif) and I now use those when I'm readin about maneuvers
to help visualize what he talkin about.
It does help,but i look kinda stupid when my friends come in and catch me "playin" with my jets. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blush.gif

Dtools4fools
08-11-2006, 09:41 AM

What plane you are trying to shhot down here?

If it is a Zero and you are getting into low speed dogfight, don't even try to follow the thing... try to hit in a fast high speed pass, then come in for antoerh fast pass, rinse and repeat until the Zero falls out of the sky.

To learn I would rather take a nice early war dogfighter. Try the Zero against Hurricane, early P-40's, early P-39's, etc.
You will have to more manouverable plane and about as fast or faster then the opponents.

Don't shoot from too far.

heywooood
08-11-2006, 10:05 AM

hang with it...never quit on stuff. Maybe read a book on flying or a magazine like Flight Journal...you need to know just the bare essentials about how an airplane flies to be able to get used to the controls and controlling a flying plane. Walk first - then run.

Xiolablu3
08-11-2006, 10:14 AM

Fighters are built to be unstable, if a plane isnt unstable, it doesnt make a good fighter.

The best fighter will be an unstable design which you can control easily. Since these contradict, getting the balance right was always tough.

A plane doesnt just fly straight, it requires trimming. Each time you change speed, your planes nose will drop a little more, or move to the right a little in flight maybe. I hardly ever trim and just compensate for this natural movement with my stick, but I know a lot of guys swear by trimming to get the plane to fly straight.

Check out 'rudder trim' for left/right drift and 'elevator trim' for up/down drift. Just to complicate things some fighters such as the 109, dont have rudder trim.

If you try and push the plane to hard, like turn too tight, it will stall and spin, be gentle when you turn and try and 'feel' the buffeting as it is about to stall. When oyu feel this, either stay there or slacken off a bit. The tighter you turn, the more speed you will lose.

I wouldnt htink that the COrsair is a good beginners plane, but thats up to you. I would fly the 109F4/109G2, Spitfire MkVIII or MkIX, the Zero, or the La5FN/La7 to get used to things. These are forgiving planes to tghe beginner.

Something like the P51 or FW190 require a lot of experience to fly well.

Il2/FB is designed to be a simulation of real life, not a game.

Do you know about leading your target when you shoot? You dont just put your target over the plane and shoot if he is moving across your sight, you must lead him so that the bullets and the plane meet int he air (it takes a second for the bullets to reach 400metres and a WW2 plane can move a long way in a second)

Old_Canuck
08-11-2006, 02:43 PM
Trying to have fun was your first mistake. If you've been reading the forum for awhile, you should realise that folks around here are not doing this for fun. This is a serious business played by serious people. Why do you think we all hide behind pseudonyms? So our opponents can't track us down that's why. Some whacko forumite just might own a real fighter plane and he/she might decide to use it to settle an argument over FMs, DMs or any of those other Ms. Hope this helps http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Viper2005_
08-11-2006, 02:47 PM
What do you mean "might"?

mortoma1958
08-11-2006, 11:27 PM
15 years ago when I first flew combat sims I had the same problems you ( original thread starter/poster ) have and I have the opposite problem now!!! I no longer think of dogfighting as challenging, online or off, ace AI or even ace human! You will get there, just be patient...

tagTaken2
08-11-2006, 11:41 PM
Trim on a slider. All you need to know.

general_kalle
08-12-2006, 04:19 AM
i started flying simulations as 10 years old or so http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif yes its true and thats why i know how to do it...if i started now it would also be impassible(or nearly) for too

WWMaxGunz
08-12-2006, 04:34 AM
Bearcat needs to re-sticky the Essentials Thread to the top......

Avont, these people will train you well. http://www.joint-ops.com/