PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever read Brian M Downing?

LStarosta
02-09-2007, 07:49 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Military-Revolution-Political-Change/dp/0691024758

I'm supposed to be reading this book but I honestly can't get myself to read Downing. His sentences are at least 3 lines in length (usually 5) and by the time I'm done reading one, I forget what it was about.

It's so much easier to divert my attention to the GD to inflate my postcount and subsequently my ego.

kingkirki49
02-09-2007, 08:07 PM
no to be honest i haddent known much bout nething airforce in ww2 till i bought il-2 sturmovik do you think its for sale at my nearest book store in ontario canada?

LStarosta
02-09-2007, 08:10 PM
I dunno, it's a ******ed book. I wouldn't recommend it at all.

And it has nothing to do with WWII or aviation.

kingkirki49
02-09-2007, 08:13 PM
lol well if some1 made a book on him or hes known by alot of peeps he musta done sompthing verry good or bad

do you own the book or are you in highschool history collage history ect. and have to do a essey on him?

kingkirki49
02-09-2007, 08:24 PM
wait the name does sound familiar maby i heard of him i dunno just the name rings a bell but im not shure from there

leitmotiv
02-09-2007, 09:51 PM
Looks like pure 100%, Grade A tosh writ by a degreed tosser who loathes the military. What's the book for: History 133A Proto-Fascism in 16th Century Europe? Your sig is the Air Force's new wonder weapon. I keep staring at those conformal tanks.

LStarosta
02-09-2007, 11:22 PM
Well, he actually argues at one point that the military is one of the factors that brought democracy about. I.E. Panic-ridden King needs an army quick, so he offers the political and economic rights to peasants who serve and fight for him. Obviously that wasn't the truth in inherently fascist countries such as Prussia where the state was glorified and military service was more of a mandatory thing... But still... Its the most boring book I've ever tried reading.

For the most part, the book is about the establishment of democracies within Europe, with the slight exception of Brandenberg Prussia which was always autocratic and had Hitleresque fascism way before the 1930s. He basically said if someone didn't force democracy on the Germans, they'd still be a bunch of state-worshiping pawns.

ViktorViktor
02-10-2007, 01:08 AM
Brian Downing was a designated hitter for the California Angels during the eighties. Good to see that he's moved on to other things.

Psst - Meguile has hijacked the best part of your sig !!
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

RCAF_Irish_403
02-10-2007, 07:11 AM
If you think that's boring, just wait till you read "The Prince"

MEGILE
02-10-2007, 07:15 AM
why read a book, when you can read IL2 GD

S'all I'm sayin'

leitmotiv
02-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Hard Left---writes for Cockburn's COUNTERPUNCH:

http://www.counterpunch.org/downing01242007.html

To me, he looks like like a historian with a political agenda, and they are, by nature, deeply flawed historians.

If he really thinks Fredericken Prussia was fascist, he needs to take up another profession. Fascism was a 20th century phenomenon. F der Grosse would have been nauseated by the intellectual and social caste of fascists. He was an intellectual elitist, the quintessential philosopher prince ideal of the Enlightenment.

TopGunBkk
02-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Hilter still lives.....
they lost the war but got the Euro.
Money take over instead of a military one.

Demcracy isn't the military, America used it to defend herself to preserve our way of life.

We had several world wars, to me as an ex-marine
all wars fought after World War 2 had no meaning.

Korean war a stand off
Vietnam a political one
Iraq-lies of a president who real goal isn't democracy but to get oil
Maybe soon its Iran that be a big mistake too.

To me world war 2 was a honorable war
good vs evil

I still to this day; I don't trust Japan,Russia,Germany
or the middle east they love to see America fall.Old enemies might become friends but deep inside, they want to get a second chance at victory.

If I was president I have 200-300,000 troops in Iraq not some lousy 30,000 i mean how can u win like that?

I mean its like he knows our boys are getting wiped out and all of a sudden wants more troops?
Why didnt you do that in the beginning?

But if we fall so does the whole world.

LStarosta
02-10-2007, 01:09 PM
Gaddam, delete your post because I don't want my thread about a sh*tty college book deleted because you don't know how to read the Terms of Use.

kingkirki49
02-10-2007, 01:24 PM
was that to me or topgun?

leitmotiv
02-10-2007, 02:36 PM
Right, this is about a lousy textbook, not politics. Take yer goods elsewhere, TopGunBkk.

joeap
02-10-2007, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by kingkirki49:
was that to me or topgun?

Topgun not you...among posters "Topgun is new worst" him or Prop_Joe. Be sure.

ViktorViktor
02-11-2007, 04:01 AM
The Prince was good reading and (unfortunately) still relevant today.

leitmotiv
02-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Absolutely. Every Congressional aide is a mini-Machiavelli.