PDA

View Full Version : Yes, do buy an X52

BaldieJr
12-31-2004, 04:31 PM
You will be very pleased with this stick.

tsisqua
12-31-2004, 04:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BaldieJr:
You will be very pleased with this stick. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm all out of money, Baldie. Besides, I have been told that my stick, though not large, is quite effective http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Congrats, Buddy!
Tsisqua

FoolTrottel
12-31-2004, 04:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BaldieJr:
You will be very pleased with this stick. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No Baldie.
I've got my Guillemot FFB, hooked up with my home made pedals...

I'm happy and pleased!

BaldieJr
12-31-2004, 05:49 PM
Lemme tell ya, this thing does some cooooool stuff.

In the game, crank your axis adjustments all the way up (not rudder). Its just right. Not too twitchy, not too limp. Control input is super-smooth.

In the control panel, add a bit of dead-zone to the rotaries and the rudder and leave it be.

The only thing I don't like is the size of the throttle (made for giants) and the scroll wheel is a bit flakey.

The LCD seems like fluff untill you use it a few times http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

It seems you can set a "digital stopper" on the throttle so that you never get 109% or 1% at the extremes. I may be wrong about this, but thats how it appears.

For the money, you aren't going to beat this stick.

F16_Neo
12-31-2004, 05:54 PM
Kind of have to agree.
Got one as a christmas present from myself http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.
Lotsa bells'n whistles, only hope I won't wear it out in 6 monhts like the rest of them...
(Review in Swedish: http://flygflottilj16.se/forum/viewtopic.php?t=123)

BelaLvgosi
12-31-2004, 07:21 PM
What about the hardware deadzone everyone talks about (even if you select none by software)?
Aside from the twist stick it's the only problem people seem to point. TIA!

BaldieJr
12-31-2004, 08:58 PM
Trust me, if you use the settings I posted above, you will be blown away by this stick.

As for the twist: My rudder pedals are in the closet, if that tells you anything.

Default settings are no good, so if anyone is complaining about slop around center, they just haven't bothered to learn how to set it up.

If you have a great stick, by all means keep it. But if you're thinking about an upgrade, DO buy the X52. You will love it.

Akronnick
01-01-2005, 12:09 AM
How does the programming software compare to that of the X45? Is it possible to import an X45 profile or do you have to start from scratch?

civildog
01-01-2005, 12:27 AM
I just saw a picture of this beast on Saitek's site and I just gotta get one now! Just for coolness alone I give it a 10. But the East German judges only give it 6.

Maico_249th
01-01-2005, 12:28 AM
You must start from scratch. The X52 has more buttons.

Lasham_1
01-01-2005, 01:17 AM
A question to X52 users:

I have been using a Logitech Wingman for over 2 years and like the force feedback feature, getting a real buzz from those cannons through the trigger. However the idea of having a separate throttle control, 2-stage trigger and many more buttons available to reduce the use of the keyboard sound great to me. One question about the X52 - does it have force feedback as I cannot find anything in any literature, and if it doesn't, does this detract from the "feel" of the game using the X52?

WUAF_Badsight
01-01-2005, 02:25 AM
the sage from Saitek

all hail Baldie the Converter

Chivas
01-01-2005, 04:20 AM
Quote Baldie Jr
------------------------------------------------
"Default settings are no good, so if anyone is complaining about slop around center, they just haven't bothered to learn how to set it up."
I'm glad you like the X52,so do I http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif...but many people are having problems with the sticks deadzone.

Alot of the slop around the center is caused by misalignment of the Hall sensors. No amount of software adjustments will cure it. You must send the stick back or correct it yourself by opening up the stick, and centering the sensor. I Know because I fixed mine and a friends X52. This stick has a very poor setup for centering the sensors, but it can be easily adjusted.

JG52Uther
01-01-2005, 05:23 AM
Been very happy with my X45 (best stick i'v ever had)but for some reason i just dont like the look of the X52.I think my next setup will be CH stick,throttle and rudder pedals (if Mrs Uther would just nip out for a while the dastardly deed would be done http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

Bearcat99
01-01-2005, 08:07 AM
I bet it is a great stick. Ill stick with my setup though..especially since i have a spare MSFFB and a spare X45 in the closet. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

clint-ruin
01-01-2005, 08:36 AM
Looking at australian prices [especially + freight] the EVO + X45 and X52 end up being practically the same price at around $A240 or so. Wouldn't be too hard for a stick to be better than the X-45 by itself, but is it better than the EVO as the joystick combined with the X45 throttle?

BaldieJr
01-01-2005, 09:14 AM
Ya'll know about equipment-blamers right?

Thats me. "if this ****ed stick wasn't junk i'd be better at this game!"

I rebuilt an X45 to get a better stick. I did improve it, but it required reworking every other month. It uses a traditional gimbal made of soft plastic that stretches. The more you play, the worse the slop gets.

I tried the Evo for awhile and it drove me nuts. It has potential, but the autocalibration appears to be saiteks first attempt. One day it calibrates left of center, the next it calibrates forward of center, etc etc etc.

I built a stick that used direct drive pots and offset pivots: you can't get any more sensitive than this setup. You know what? Too precise! I did not think it possible, but its true, a stick can be too sensitive around center and, for all practical purposes, unusable.

I tried a logitech ffb stick: was fun for 3 months and then the pots got flakey. The logitech sticks are built to fail. Its not the mechanical aspect, its the firmware. I understand what they were aiming for, but they screwed it up by not accounting for dirt in the pots. The best laid plans of mice and joystick designers...

For anyone having misalignment problems with the X52: I am very sorry to hear this. I hope its easy to repair because this stick is good stuff once its setup. The minor amount of slop (necessary) is predictable while the sensitivity is smooth an linear.

I'll post my thoughts again in a few weeks after the stick has dealt with my abuse.

Bull_dog_
01-01-2005, 09:18 AM
Can you lock the twist handle if you have rudder pedals?

Rattle_Trapper
01-01-2005, 09:36 AM
yes u can lock the twist or u can assign another axis to it. Like aileron trim. I love mine, it has a very smooth action with out to much tesion.
----------------------------------------------
"Default settings are no good, so if anyone is complaining about slop around center, they just haven't bothered to learn how to set it up."
being a little new to all this I'm a little lost by default settings are u referring to the pich, roll,yaw settings in the game. In input section? please feel free to elaborate for us newbies. I have mine setup just right for controls but it's still a little twichy when targeting.

MINDS R LIKE PARACHUTES, THEY ONLY WORK WHEN OPEN

XyZspineZyX
01-01-2005, 09:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by clint-ruin:
Looking at australian prices [especially + freight] the EVO + X45 and X52 end up being practically the same price at around $A240 or so. Wouldn't be too hard for a stick to be better than the X-45 by itself, but is it better than the EVO as the joystick combined with the X45 throttle? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A$199 @ Hardly Normal (HarveyNorman)

Mmm, better? I've run with MSFFB from day 1 - 6 years ago, though I miss the comfy handle of the MSFFB and the FFB itself...X52 is not too bad at all. I particularly like the metal shaft the handle attaches to
I also miss the big round handrest at the base of the MSFFB handle. It was great for landing and flight.
I would rest my hand on the base and hold the handrest with my fingertips....really comfy to use that way.
The throttle is a good size for my hands but the handrest on the stick needs to be able to come up 1 more notch and the hand guard to be a little closer to the stick, to make that comfy.

Yes the deadzones need to be opened up slightly in the driver cpl.

Yes the twist handle can be locked for use with pedals

GregSM
01-01-2005, 10:50 AM
Hi Baldie, Others,

I'm thinking of getting this stick too but harbour a few concerns in light of experience with previous Saitek controls. Most importantly, I would like to know that the switches, particularly the hats, have been engineered to higher tolerances. Switches have failed fast on each of the several X36/X35T sets I've been through.

Also, can the twisty rudder be either mechanically or virtually trimmed? I can see using the twisty for dynamic input, for instance, to attain a brief firing solution or for take off and landing alignment. But I cannot see suddenly evolving the dexterity or muscle memory to play all the hats and buttons together with maintaining the precise rudder input to defeat the side slip in planes which lack dynamic rudder trim, like the 109. With proper pedals it's easy. And I have a sort of proper pedals, but they've grown indecently venerable, and have taken to light spiking. I find the cost of the current CH USB design preclusive, and so would welcome a trim able twisty as a reasonable alternative.

Cheers,

Greg

BaldieJr
01-01-2005, 10:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rattle_Trapper:

being a little new to all this I'm a little lost by default settings are u referring to the pich, roll,yaw settings in the game. In input section? please feel free to elaborate for us newbies. I have mine setup just right for controls but it's still a little twichy when targeting.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes... The axis adjustment in-game. Crank all pitch/roll sliders to 100. If its too twitchy you can either back the first few sliders down or add a bit of filtering to delay the response. I recomend practicing with it for a few hours before making final judgement.