PDA

View Full Version : My watch officer eats a lot of carrots

meowcat999
04-07-2005, 08:06 AM
it can only be massiva carrot consumption which enables him to see a coastal merchant vessel at 7+ nautical miles in pitch black conditions.

even at 1-2 km i can't see the thing, even when tweaking the brightness on my monitor, in fact some nights i cant see the ships until they are under the 600m arming range (he can still see them at 7 miles)

is this just me? i have a good monitor (an iiyama 22" CRT)

meowcat999
04-07-2005, 08:06 AM
it can only be massiva carrot consumption which enables him to see a coastal merchant vessel at 7+ nautical miles in pitch black conditions.

even at 1-2 km i can't see the thing, even when tweaking the brightness on my monitor, in fact some nights i cant see the ships until they are under the 600m arming range (he can still see them at 7 miles)

is this just me? i have a good monitor (an iiyama 22" CRT)

BaneSixEcho
04-07-2005, 08:11 AM
Same here. Thank god he tells me what bearing he saw it at otherwise I'd never find it. His eagle eyes have earned him lots of medals.

Dominicrigg
04-07-2005, 08:18 AM
He doesnt eat carrots he just has his brightness settings correctly adjusted :P

On a clear cloudless night you will see the smoke from a ship at about 4km or more against the brighter horizon. If your monitor is set right (And graphics card/desktop settings) you too will be able to see them. In fact you can usually see ships before he does if you watch out, so he definatley doesnt eat carrots http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

NaturalBornGoth
04-07-2005, 08:22 AM
I second that.

Every contact that is spotted by my watch crew, i can see myself if i look hard enough. At night it often is only a speck of dark grey against the dark sky, but you can see it when he can.

Jim0322
04-07-2005, 08:44 AM
I wish the sonar man's hearing was as good as the watch's vision. I do have trouble seeing ships when it is dark. The watchmen do a much better job. On the other hand, I clearly hear ships on the sonar that my sonar operator is completely oblivious to.

Jim

BaneSixEcho
04-07-2005, 08:53 AM
I guess I should turn my monitor brightness up a little. I can't see anything he sees at long range... even through the Uzo!

meowcat999
04-07-2005, 09:01 AM
i've tried twiddling with my monitor brightness, on some nights i can see ok (although not well enough to ID the ship) but most nights its just black

not sure if my graphics card has a brightness setting

Dominicrigg
04-07-2005, 09:15 AM
Use binoculars for spotting, the uzo notepad messes things up because its so bright. You should be able to see at a decent range with bins.

The first time i played it was pitch black and i was a little shocked as i realised you should be able to see for miles even at night on clear nights. But its fine now i have tweaked it.

Change desktop settings via right click on your desktop, then find brightness in there. I had to do both as the natural settings for silent hunter 3 are very dark.

Dominicrigg
04-07-2005, 09:16 AM
Use binoculars for spotting, the uzo notepad messes things up because its so bright. You should be able to see at a decent range with bins.

The first time i played it was pitch black and i was a little shocked as i realised you should be able to see for miles even at night on clear nights. But its fine now i have tweaked it.

Change desktop settings via right click on your desktop, then find brightness in there. I had to do both desk and monitor as the natural settings for silent hunter 3 are very dark.

alanschu
04-07-2005, 02:27 PM
Sometimes the watch crew is blind though....depends on the efficiency rating (although it's usually full with a watch officer, especially if you have a petty officer that is a watchmen too).

With a low efficiency rating, my guys didn't see a cargo ship until I was pretty much ramming it :P

As for sonar, I'm pretty sure your guy will detect sonar contacts better if you can maximize the sonar room efficiency (which means having a good guy in the radio room as well...which is odd...but it seems to be the case).

blue_76
04-07-2005, 04:34 PM
you should eat some carrots too, they are good for you! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

reumatiib
04-07-2005, 04:38 PM
Reminds me of General Custer - on the day he took his men to their doom his Osage Indian scouts pointed out to him the vast Indian village and pointed out to him the mass of Indian warriors. Custer's eyes were so bad he couldn't see what they were pointing at.