PDA

View Full Version : 109F4 v P51D

harold x
01-21-2005, 06:03 AM
I HAVE JUST COMPLETED 2 CAMPAIGNS IN BOTH PLANES AND IN MY HUMBLE OPINION I CANNOT SEPARATE THE TWO IN TERMS OF PERFOMANCE.
DOES ANYONE AGREE.

Vipez-
01-21-2005, 06:13 AM
No?

F-4 really has no chance.. they have similar climb perfomance.. p51D has better weapons, is faster, dives better. F-4 is bit more agile at speeds below 300 kmh.. but Thats the only advantage she has.. What can you expect, its 1944 plane, and F-4 a 1941 plane http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

It all depends on pilot skills in the end, but a veteran p-51d vs veteran F-4, and i would put my money on P51D... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

CKY_86
01-21-2005, 06:22 AM
as vipez said it really matters on the pilot

tigertalon
01-21-2005, 06:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by harold x:
I HAVE JUST COMPLETED 2 CAMPAIGNS IN BOTH PLANES AND IN MY HUMBLE OPINION I CANNOT SEPARATE THE TWO IN TERMS OF PERFOMANCE.
DOES ANYONE AGREE. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree with Vipez. If you have good pilots in both aircraft, P51 should win most of the times. Of course, n00b would try to turn against 109 at slow speed low alt, but that's the only way 109 can get his guns on P51...

Nubarus
01-21-2005, 06:38 AM
http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/infocntr/helpdesk/images/capslock.gif

strelnik_Sipi
01-21-2005, 07:10 AM
You cant realy compare P51D from 44 with BF109F4 from 41. I doubt they ever met in combat.

VW-IceFire
01-21-2005, 07:17 AM
P-51D is much faster than the 109F4. Thats a huge difference...handling is similar perhaps but different still. And the P-51D is going to do much better at high altitude.

Abbuzze
01-21-2005, 07:43 AM
In a 1vs1 the F4 is just breakfast if the Ponydriver make no difference, and even if he make a mistake, dive away from the Me get some speed and choose the situation to attack.

Blackdog5555
01-21-2005, 03:22 PM
Gunther Rall said his favorite mount was the F4..he had no real problems with it (100 kills on the western front). BTW; If you listen to the WWII flyers (interviews) you soon discover from them that they all agree it was pilot skill rather than plane performance that made the primary differance on who went home and who didnt. I said "primary"....But i'll take the Pony over the F4 any day. Im biased. One of my favorite QMBs is the P51(me) v 4-f4s or G2s;... 1or2v4..Ace level.@3000 meters...of course AI arent human. Cheers. yes i know...

Bull_dog_
01-21-2005, 05:02 PM
Given all the performance metrics available to me when choosing my mount, I'll look for the following advantages in about this order....

#1 SPEED...speed kills, speed saves my life
#2 Climb rate...in the absence of speed, climb can and does substitute as a close alternative allowing engagement/disengagement
#3 Firepower...too much is never enough...one pass kills increases survivability and worrying the enemy into not doing head on's really helps
#4 High speed roll rate/elevator authority...I fly fast so this fits my fighting style.
#5 Survivability...give me a tough plane but in the end, I need to not be shot to survive
#6 Turning radius...if this is all I have to survive on I'm an unhappy camper.
#7... and last...low speed handling qualities...If I'm slow, I'm dead so whats the point.

There are a few others like range, visibility, altituded performance, and I won't get into the poor modelling of dive, but it would be on the list, fairly high if it were modelled in a way as to affect the outcome of a battle but the affect seems to be governed more by top speed than by other physical factors...

The point of all this is where the heck does an F-4 compare to a Mustang http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

No contest in nearly all the catagories exept the last couple which means you are effectively ineffective or dead.

tigertalon
01-21-2005, 05:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by harold x:
DOES ANYONE AGREE. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, another thing here is that you flew offline. Try online, you will see the difference. If you engage AI P51D with Bf109F4, he will try to turn with you - the most stupid thing he can do.