PDA

View Full Version : X45 vs X52

Bluntage
05-02-2006, 09:40 AM
I know this has been beat into the ground but I must ask:

I see that Saitek has Reconditioned X45s in stock for cheap and was thinking of biting the bullet as I have flown with that stick previously (been away for a while and am currently stickless). Is the X52 really worth the $$$? Opinions?

SithSpeeder
05-02-2006, 10:16 AM
I've been an X45 fanboi for a long time.

But I got an X52 as a belated Christmas gift last month. It rocks. I won't go back.

1. Two stage trigger
2. Profiling on the fly (allowing you to change profiles for different aircraft IN GAME)
3. Smoother stick motion
4. Toggle controls on the base of the stick (great for gear, lights, etc.)
5. Extra slider (great for flaps)
6. The whole stick feels more solid

I miss having the availability of the rocker, but not much.

The only real complaint I've had with the X52 so far is the rotary for the left hand thumb is very tight. Supposedly, this is a result of too MUCH lubricant.

$100 at ZipZoomFly.

* _54th_Speeder *

T_Kang
05-02-2006, 12:37 PM
I absolutely concur with the post by SithSpeeder. I have an X45, which my son still uses, and the X52. Although I also miss having the rocker on the throttle quad; I have not, and would not swap the X52 for the X45. The only con I have is with the mouse emulation conflicting on occasion with the Logitech mice I have on this system.

Ernst_Rohr
05-02-2006, 06:17 PM
Ditto for me. The difference between the 52 and the 45 is notable. The rocker was nice, but once you get used to the 52, the versatility is hard to beat.

The only down sides I have run into with the 52 were my Logitech mouse not liking the mini-stick mouse on the 52, and for what ever reason, the idle position on the throttle wasnt seen as 0% by the OS, easily fixed by adjusting the slider thresholding in game devices.

Other than that, the 52 has been a great controller.

nickdanger3
05-02-2006, 06:31 PM
I have the 45 and use the rocker as a button so the lack on a 52 doesn't mean anything to me. I use the throttle as usual, but have a Sidewinder as pitch/roll controller - the x-45 stick is for all those other things like supercharging, chock releasing, gear up/down, lights. I've never thought the the 45 limited me in terms of amount of buttons available.

A friend of mine trying to get his setup completed liked my 45 and was disappointed not to able to find anything but 52's - he thought that the 52 felt cheaper/lighter. The 45 does feel pretty rugged.

If I were in the market, I'd go with the reconditioned 45's - great deal. But I'm cheap.

Bearcat99
05-02-2006, 07:04 PM
That all depends on what you want to do with it. I prefer the X-45.. since I use a MSFFB2 as my main stick and I use the X-45 as a throttle/button bay along with rudder pedals..

http://x10.putfile.com/4/9600393697.jpg

The rocker switch on the X-45 throttle is great and for what I use it for I prefer it to the X-52. I have since modified my X-45 so that the stick is now incorporated into the throttle....
http://x10.putfile.com/4/9523560892.jpg

If you are considering a similar setup to take advbantage of the fact that FB supports up to four controllers... and BoB will more than likely be at least that.. if not more.. then I recommend an X-45. If you just want one stick to do it all... then the X-45 is still a good stick.. but the X-52 has things that the X-45 lacks... like the 2 stage trigger and a twist handle.

-HH- Beebop
05-02-2006, 07:22 PM
My X-45 finally bit the dust recently and I decided to pick up the X-52. I was used to the heavier feel of the '45's stick but my shooting really improved with the twist rudder. Also the '52 is ajustable to fit your hand unlike the '45. If you can get a reconditioned '45 it's a real value for money.

After flying the '52 I find I do like it better. It is a smoother stick and that also has improved my gunnery. (a bit) If I had to go back to a '45 I wouldn't cry. Both sticks are superb. As far as the "cheap" feeling goes, if that's a problem go for a Cougar HOTAS. But be prepared to spend 3X the $$ and to get the best performance another 300 clams to get it upgraded to high quality interior parts. the 'X' series are quality sticks and if you fly like you should, gently, (IMO), the stick should last for years. (And if you buy it a certain stores, you can get an extended warrenty that will let you replace the stick if anything at all goes wrong.)
And for the complaint that the 'X' series looks too futuristic...what in the blazes are you looking at your stick for? You should be watching the screen! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

sunflower1
05-02-2006, 08:14 PM
After getting my X-45 out of the box I spent about two weeks trying to tell myself it was a decent product. I tired of lying to myself, though.

I like the X-52 as much as I hated the X-45 for being an under-engineered and over-priced heap of trash. Every time I sat down to game I hoped the X-45 would give me a reason to can it. I took the excuse of a hat switch getting worn to buy the X-52.

Gosh, what do I really think?

Saitek's ability to find out what people don't like and improve the product is impressive to me. X-52 by an order of magnitude, at least, in my opinion.

-HH-Quazi
05-02-2006, 09:27 PM
Two features of the X-52 that towers over the X-45 is the movement of the stick and the mouse look hatswitch on the throttle right next to my left thumb.

Bluntage
05-03-2006, 10:52 AM
Thanks, guys.

I'm still undecided, so I'll think it over for a few days. It sounds like I can't go wrong with either. Essentially, I plan to buy one or the other and it will most likely be my only peripheral (no plans for pedals, track IR, etc.), so it'll have to suffice.

Cheers!

Bearcat99
05-03-2006, 11:17 AM
In that case I recommend the X-52... it does have more features although I like the feel of the X-45 better.

JG52Uther
05-03-2006, 12:16 PM
X45 is the best (and most expensive)stick I have ever had.I do feel like its wearing a bit now after 2 years of pretty heavy use,so an X52 is looking likely now.The twist rudder will not be a problem for me,as I use pedals.

Bearcat99
05-03-2006, 01:18 PM
If you are using pedals conside getting a reconned X-45 then.... use the rudder rocker for flaps or something....